Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

1114115116117118120»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Switch from Heineken to Guinness.

She's running much better on the Guinness. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You MUST post a video here with the brum brum brum brummm thing

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...er, don't Diavel's do that too......................or is that too soon to ask...........(still) ...... ? :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Time for headstock bearings.

Out with the old ones while I wait for new ones to arrive.

It's neverending 🥵

The Abba sportsbike stsand with add ons for lifting front wheel and swing arm removal.

Brilliant bit of kit to have

Post edited by blade1 on

Finished this today.

Time for a quick spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Easiest part of the job.

Long pipe, 2 or 3 whacks.

There's a little cut out to give pipe something to rest on.

Worst part is probably getting the new one on the bottom.

Probably be easier if the front fairing was off.

Just awkward to keep it straight as it goes in.

Tippy Tappy and a bit of patience and it gets there.

This will have to do for now.

Plastics are off to get a final lacquer over decals and I got up early this morning to sort one of the carbs that was giving a little trouble.

Only insured yesterday as that's when I was insuring other bikes.

Took it for its first spin just now and it's a little whippet and running beautifully.

Almost feels like there's no bike under me when cornering.

Cheapest way to buy fully synthetic two stroke oil is to order it from Germany 🙄

Thirsty yoke on fuel and two stroke. 🥵

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Timesert I needed to repair bike finally came back into stock.

Might get to go out for some of the rest summer at least

I've never used a timesert but probably will down the line. I've a load of helicoils here so use them so far.

Do you use self tapping ones or that that yourself first.

And what's a good quality one you'd recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

This is what I got for a m12 1.5

Never done it before, but went with the safest sounding one. I think those self taping ones are

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TTDC1WD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They've a rebranded Loctite as well for high temp oil resistant. it's 266 with a different name, for oil drains they don't say you need it as the insert holds itself better than the flush spark plug ones which do need it.

Time sert are the name brand, there's other Timer sert branded ones from Wurth but the US version has a tap guide.

The m12 set comes with a 31/64 bit so only a tiny bit larger and just large enough to take out what remains of the threads. Going to do that by hand, might use tap wrench rather than anything else.

Seat cutter sized for the drill so goes in straight, and then the included tap guide which most sets don't have seats into the cut to make taping straight easier.

If all else fails I'm going to get one of those quick release drain plugs and just permanently fix that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭goblin59

I have the stahlbus on my R100 and F650gs, they're very handy for oil changes

Ah so you've a damaged sump drain hole?

I just did one for someone last week with a helicoil.

At least pans are nice and soft and easy for the tap to cut into.

Post edited by blade1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I fitted a Fumoto valve on a car engine before, found it great. I'd have zero doubts about one on a bike if I needed to use one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Got a puncture in the 800de the other day.

Tyre size is 150x70x17

Rang Megabikes looking for a tube. They didn't have one.

Rang Cotters. They didn't have one.

Rang City Spares. They didn't have one.

Rang Bikeworld. Couldn't get through to parts.

Rang Suzuki Ireland. They didn't have one but could get one in the afternoon. €40.00 delivered. I declined.

Ordered online from the Visor Shop (Crossans in Mayobridge, Newry). €24.00 delivered. Had it 22 hours later with DPD!!!

If it's a tubeless tyre, don't fit a tube. Get it repaired properly.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

I'd be very wary of tubed tyres myself, when punctured they go down a lot faster so loss of control is more likely.

Many years ago a friend of mine bought a secondhand cruiser with tubed tyres, it seemed in very good condition, unknown to him the front tube had several patches and not too long after buying it it blew out and he was killed. Anyone buying a bike with tubed tyres should get the tubes replaced immediately just to be sure.

Scrap the cap!

Sorry about your friend.

I've lost too many myself

I currently have a bike with tubes and have had others over the years.

And yes while a tubeless is better on the road, having a tubed tyre wouldn't put me off.

Annoying part for me is I got a puncture about 50miles from home one Sunday and a biker passing the other way stopped and had a kit for plugging and inflating tyres but no use for a tubed tyre.

I had a family member pick up me and the bike so that helped matters.

Post edited by blade1 on

Time to drag this thread out of the abyss.

Put a new tank and top fairing on my ZZR.

Bit of a dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭muddle84

I fitted some Heed engine bars to my Tiger sport at the weekend. Really great value and fit really well too.

Advertisement