Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Yes I did. Got year's supply wheras Dr Nel only gives you 8 months. It's a bit complicated as I had to use Revolut to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

How did you get it shipped to Ireland though, if they don't ship here officially?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I had them shipped to the UK and then a delivery company delivered them to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Deadwards.com

They only launched in November so it is too early to see any final results. If you book a consultation online or in the clinic they can share the doctors work from other places as well as photos of patients immediately after the transplant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LukeAJN

Have you been able to find any work from the doctor in other clinics? Finding it hard to track down any of his other work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

So it's been 6 months since I am using Topical Finasteride & Minoxidil Spray. I got it from Hims UK (used anpost service to get it delivered to Ireland).

I am very happy with the results and people giving complements on my hair and overall appearance (they don't know about the hair transplant).

Confidence has gone up!!!

Cheers

Remind me again, what's the price for this for 6 or 12 months? Just to compare with the tablet form.

I assume all the side effects are minimised with the topical? (not that I am experiencing any, but good to know anyway)

I think it was just over 200€ for a 6 months supply (I can't find order details).

Absolutely, no side effects except some bumps on the forehead in the first few weeks.

no import charges or anything ?

What's the total including An Post (roughly) ?

• Advertisement

There was an import charge of 8€ or so by AnPost. Plus another 7€ or so for the AdressPal service.

Overall it was less than €300, my memory serves 250 range for a 6 months supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LukeAJN

Sorry I should have been clearer I meant more from other hair restoration forums etc. I’d assume personal websites are only going to show them in the best light so was looking for some personal unbiased opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Timbuktoo

Just got a hair transplant with Dr. Nel and team last week. Very happy with the experience. Of course won't know for a few months the actual results but he was happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Could you give a detailed account of what's involved in your hair transplant how long did it take start to finish did you gave to stay in hospital etc etc thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Timbuktoo

Yeah sure,

I kind of detailed it below for myself and in case anyone wanted to know what it was like:

Get an appointment and go in to Dr. nel, discuss pre agreed HT plans . I went in January for initial consultation for €250 and they went through everything (medication, type of HT needed, grafts etc). I wanted the HT so booked in for April. I needed two days for what I wanted. 

Mine was: 3,400 grafts

FUE

Cost: €13k

Going abroad was not an ideal option for me due to a medical condition I have. Peace of mind was key.

On the day of the procedure:

You meet the team on the day. 

You are brought into a private room to get your scrubs on.

Then you go into a room where he draws the hairline and shaves your head to the required length and takes confidential pictures of your head at different angles.

Dr. Nel will call you into the treatment room. You sit on a hospital bed that reclines up and down. They then put you lying back slightly and begin the anaesthesia in along the top side of your head. These are stinging more than painful but nothing to be worried about, doesn't last long. 

Dr. Nel does 90% of below:

There is a tv in front of you, I watched Netflix for a couple of hours while he started doing the incisions. Along the way if you feel any kind of pain you can just let him know and he will top up the anaesthetic where needed which results in near zero pain throughout. The head is then bandaged and I was sent home for the night. If you don't live close by book a hotel just for the ease of getting there and back.

Next day started at 7am. You can have some breakfast there, toast and that. You then go in for extracting from the donor site. This consists of multiple needles in the back and sides of the head again but probably a 5/10 in pain so manageable and they do everything they can to keep you relaxed. Once this happens they then take the grafts that they will eventually place into your incisions site (wherever you are getting your hair transplanted). Again this is very little pain and if you feel any your friend anaesthesia is there to help.

This is a long process so depending on how many grafts etc, you will be lying in different positions for a couple of hours. I fell asleep for an hour during it. Once all grafts have been pulled from the donor sites it's time to implant. Dr. Nel then sat over my head and along with his team, implanted the hairs into each incision made. Again, painless. It's like a conveyor belt of 4 staff all doing different jobs to get the hair implanting device into Dr. Nels hand, it's an impressive flow. Again he implants a hair every few seconds but with thousands of grafts, this takes time. There are a couple of 20 minute breaks for food which they provide. 

Once all grafts have been implanted you are done. They clean the site and bandage it up well. Dr. Nel then gives you a set to use when you get home. It contains a cover for any leakage etc, sprays for your hair every 30 mins while you're awake and an airplane cushion. He also instructs you how to sleep for the next 10 days. 

In total I was there for 6 hours day one and 10 hours day two. 

Next day 

Back into Dr. Nel to remove bandages and he washes your hair. He then gives you a package care a discusses the next week off caring for your hair with you. A follow up is organised a week later. 

All in all I was very relaxed and they are all extremely professional.

Post edited by Timbuktoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

Any of you guys in relationships a bit worried about Finasteride in the case where your partner becomes pregnant (planned or otherwise)?

Or do you think the 1.25mg three times a week would be a low enough dosage to minimise birth defects?

I recall discussing this with Dr Nel before and he said that you could stop taking the medication for a while BEFORE you decided to try for children, but as anyone knows this can happen while you are on the medication too, and in that situation would you be concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

I stopped finesteride for 6 years for this reason.I lost a good bit of ground but some things are more important than hair.

Interesting. Each box of finasteride should come with a year's supply of condoms :)

There is no documented evidence of any birth defects in humans, only in mice who are on a dose 250 times what is recommended for preventing hairloss ... plus I had read online a few testimonies from people who got pregnant when they weren't aware of the risks, so it's possibly ok.

Curious though if the topical form does away with that risk, or it's still there as it gets into the bloodstream regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Topical Finasteride goes systemic, so the same rules apply as oral Fin, in this case.

Men are advised not to take Finasteride 6 months before a pregnancy, not because it causes birth defects, but because there is no evidence to show that it doesn't. It is untested in such a scenario, in humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pma

There is evidence to show that it doesn't cause birth defects as plenty of people have had healthy offspring while on it at the recommended dosage for hair loss prevention.

Anecdotal (i.e. worthless) evidence, yes. But no clinical evidence.

I wouldn't call it worthless if there has been no recorded birth defects in humans taking the drug.

You could theoretically say that Aldi Vitamin C tablets have no evidence to show they don't cause birth defects because they weren't tested in that scenario in humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

you are told to stop taking it for 6 months if you are trying for a baby because it lowers your sperm count.

Post edited by benny79 on

That really just means it lowers your chance of a sperm reaching the egg, but it still possible for sperm to reach the egg

Actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. There is no empirical evidence to show that Vitamin C causes birth defects, because it has never been tested in humans, same for Finasteride. For me, I probably would stop taking it, but that would just be for my own peace of mind. In reality, there is probably no need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

presume you would have to stop it for entire pregnancy, you would lose a lot of ground between trying and actual pregnancy. Dr nel said no need to stop it just make sure pregnant women dont touch cut pills. Its on the market since the 90s, i would imagine we would have heard about birth defects at this stage as lot of men with prostate cancer take it too. I have thought more and more about it recently as could be in that situation in near future. WAs hoping some alternative may be available to maintain. FDA snippet interesting/reassuring.

https://californiahairsurgeon.com/news/safety-finasteride-fetus-separating-online-myths-proven-record/

• Advertisement

GT20029 is coming, but it's probably 2-3 years away. Phase II trials haven't started yet.

Advertisement