Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Smart meter was installed end November, then went into a battle with ESBN as the comms wasnt "strong enough" for smart tariffs, finally all solved a few weeks ago. Did download the feed in data, but no usage data. I'll give it some time and track on the MyEnergi app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

With 7 days to go on my Energia contract, they stung me with the €50 fine moving to Flogas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

It might be automatic process, I remember once switching exactly year after contract started and being charged this fee. I had to call them to get it refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It was 6 months before my data was available, being on a 24 plan it doesn't really matter to me but being on a sm plan you'd like to know everything was working properly. How did they resolve the Comms issue, was it a faulty meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I've had to do that as well so it's probably automatic. I moved the day after my contract ended.

When I queried it they removed the charge.

• Advertisement

I have no idea, I raised multiple complaints, communication was nothing short of woeful. Eventually went to a local councillor and it was resolved. The metre was never touched. Went from level 1, to level 3 to level 4 on my account.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Finally getting some info from Flogas. Signed up to their online portal, but it tells me to check back in 10 days to log in! I guess the cheap rate will be worth the awful UX. Energia stung me for the €50 termination fee too. Hopefully €50 well spent

I'm getting that message too, hopefully it will be working by the end of the week, I like to have money paid towards the bill before it's issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭obi604

Rang energia to check what their renewal prices would be. Their max discount is 10%

DAY: with 10% discount = 47.77 (this includes VAT)

Night:with 10% discount = 22.91 (this includes VAT)

standing charge is 296

PSO will be a 13.88 credit per month

day rate is not far off double my previous rate

night rate is essentially triple my previous rate

some cod, and not even sure at this time if anything better out there (flogas deal seems to be gone etc)

That's a huge jump, very stressful thinking about the coming winter. I got that pso credit for one month and it was zero for the previous month. Hard to believe people including myself were on the fence about that fixed deal because the day rate was too high.... We'd take those rates in a heartbeat now. Is the unit rate ever going to drop or are they just going to keep doing stupid stuff like messing with the pso levy? Very frustrating 😡

There seems to be a steady move away from D/N rates going on. Maybe you should have jumped on the Flogas offer, I wasn't letting that one away as it was a big drop for me.

• Advertisement

was flo gas essentially 39 day and 19 cent night and nearly 400 standing charge

versus energia 48 day and 23 cent night and 296 standing charge

No, the offer had the standard standing charge, I'm paying 30c on the 24hr plan. Maybe you're thinking of the EI smart boost plan, it definitely had a sore standing charge. We've seen and discussed so many plans it's getting confusing 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Exact same situation for me for both portal and energia charge..

Is this essentially as good as it gets at this time?

tried bonkers and there does not seem to be anything better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Holy **** that's nuts, I have to renew this month :( Don't know if this is a really stupid question but are there any known plans to reduce the rates country-wide back to normal levels or is this it?

Flogas seems to be the next best.

Is this as good as I am going to get?

NOTE: Its a fixed price tarriff

Day: 39.85

Night: 19.31

Standing charge: 396

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've still heard nothing from them, only got the call from Energia to tempt me to stay (they failed miserably, offered 10% discount plus €50 credit)

My contract with Energia expired last week so with a bit of luck they might forget the €50 fee. Doubt it though because I started the switch before it was up

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Probably not, all the energy providers either lost money or barely broke even last year, so they're going to keep the rates high to make that back and not take any risks

I think a lot will depend on what happens in Europe with storage and long term contracts. Gas prices are low relative to their peak last year but they're still expensive compared to 2019 levels

It's possible they'll go up again as Europe tries to keep their storage tanks full ahead of next winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Where were you able to see the comm. Level of the meter? Bizarre it got sorted

It isn't yet as he's not getting any readings from the meter. I thought it would have been because he was in a place with poor signal which can easily happen I don't see how going to a councillor could help. A black spot is a black spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'm sorry.....what?

Energy profits in 2022 were spectacular!

We are not even being given lube ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I think the companies with generators, especially wind and solar, made loads of money but the resellers lost money as they were forced to buy from the generators at higher than expected prices. That's why many of the smaller companies have disappeared from the Irish market now.

Energy providers != Energy generators

The companies that sell gas or make electricity were extremely profitable

The companies that buy electricity from the market and sell it to consumers (which are the ones we all know and love) got screwed

Now the cynic would be correct to point out that a lot of those companies are owned by a group which made profits in general (EI owned by ESB group, Bord Gais is owned by Centrica)

However quite a few others are resellers only, or they lost more money than they made from generation. And in general most companies aren't tolerant of one section losing a lot of money even if others are profitable

So I suspect there's going to be a lot of reluctance to offer any decent discount because they don't want to take any risks

I'm not saying any of this is right, it's just the reality of putting a market based system on an undifferentiable product which is essentially a commodity of modern life

If anything changes, I suspect we might see more fixed rate tariffs like Flogas, or some "goodwill gestures" like giving back a portion of profits to customers as cashback (like what SSE and EI did)

In D11 so nothing but good signal. If you go into your EI account and look at the details tab it's in there. From the little bits of info it seems to have been with the comms (2g) provider, all the councillor did was to escalate a fix with them. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

The windfall tax scenario will be interesting!🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's also the situation where when companies go to the market every supplier gets paid the same rate per unit, and it is the highest. So even if gas-electriciy suppliers are looking for 50c/unit but wind-electricity suppliers are looking for 20c, the wind suppliers will get 50c even if gas is only 1% of that supply and wind is 99%. Meaning the total cost of 100 units in this made up suituation is €50

A smarter way to do business would be to pay gas 50c and pay wind 20c, then your 100 units costs €20.30, or a little over 40% of the price. Much better made up situation and no need for windfall taxes etc

• Advertisement

The justification behind the current system is that it's by order of merit, the renewable producers are given priority and allowed to bid as much electricity as they have available

For example if you have 5000MW of demand, 3000MW of wind power available and 4000MW of gas, you have to take the available wind power and only 2000MW of gas

The advantage of the system is that it promotes use of renewables and prevents fossil fuels from artificially undercutting them to prevent their use

The disadvantage of course is that you have a single critical input (gas) which determines the price of energy and if that critical input suddenly becomes scarce (say for example by one of the biggest suppliers starting a war and getting embargoed) then the market becomes dysfunctional

I would argue the merit order system works in principle and any issues were down to the dysfunctional nature of the gas market

There was a great podcast (Redefining Energy) on this back in 2021 when the energy crisis was just beginning.

Basically, back in the day gas purchasers would sign long term contracts and this includes a premium for the producers to insure against any increases in price during the contract. Then what happened the spot price for gas (that is the price to consume it then and there) kept going really low and consumers stopped using the long term contracts

Add to that a certain lack of political will across Europe to diversify supply away from one particular source and you end up with a recipe for disaster when the spot prices go up

I agree that some long term reforms are going to be needed to keep the market moving away from fossil fuels, however I don't in principle have an issue with renewables being very profitable as it promotes investment and growth in the area

Look at the massive increase in domestic solar installations over the past two years for example, you could legitimately say this has been driven by high energy costs and is itself good for the grid as it reduces the amount of dispatch able power needed

Advertisement