Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

It seems everyone with a sporting chance of getting this gig are opting out .... If I am not mistaken that would be Miriam, Angela Scanlon, Claire Byrne, Sarah McInerney, Zamp, Kathryn Thomas ... now some better than others but all opt out ... where does this lead us?? It seems so far .... no suitable candidate for RTE is surfacing who wants to do it ...

You can forget this Patrick Kielty .... it is going to be a woman and not a man .... certainly not one who has not been heard tell of for about 20 years with no link to RTE .... after 3 heterosexual men there is no way we are getting another one simple as .... Ciara Kelly has been mentioned ... the Seoiges .... if all else fails there is always ... heaven forbid!! ... Alison Spittle, Imelda May and the 2 Higgins lassies ....

... but maybe none of them want it either .... personally I believe these type of shows are dead in the water .... looking at the lineup of that Angela Scanlon show this evening and it is the exact same as a Tubridy show episode ..... is it time to kill off the Irish chatshow and give us more dramas like Kin and Love/Hate ... Yes ... but RTE will keep these chatshows no matter what ... say they are reinvented but they will have the same old guests .... chatshows are overdone at this stage ... Graham Norton and his like are often praised but they have a lot of cwappy shows too ... the amount of airhead guests around can never be underestimated !! ... time to let these things go and move on ..... the golden age of the chatshow guest is long gone ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Angela Scanlans viewers are scattering also it appears. Can't believe she gets that in fairness,who watches this stuff?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/angela-scanlon-ratings-rte-shows-29798718

Article in the indo today about growing nervousness in the advertising circles on how rte are handling this , tubs needs reeling in too with all his doom and gloom on the perils of the job, the only option now is an outsider like kielty , any insider is now at least 5th choice 😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I see that he's the stand-in presenter on Ireland-AM on Virgin Media this morning...getting in a bit of practice. 😉 😄

I wonder is he doing down the job deliberately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Tubridy has turned the role into a poison chalice with his self victimisation crying....

It has frightened off the Irish female TV "personalities"....

Just give it to John Creedon....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

This preoccupation with it "having to be a woman " has them in the predicament they are in now. If they keep persisting with with that then they are the same as Vladimir Putin doubling down on a losing strategy simply because their egos don't allow them to reverse out of a silly selection process. Sure maybe if they can't get a woman they could try for a black male presenter, that would be the next step in that hierarchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No there next option is Panti Bliss covers all angles

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If I had to bet now, I'd go with BOC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh anyone?

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

'... end speculation... honoured to be ... family and friends... another ... .

Tomorrow:

John McGrain, Professor of Spatial Theory at the University of Latvia has written a book on Social Distancing. We ask him: did the government get it wrong?

Decentralisation. A report by the Decentralization Council of Ireland indicates favourable attitudes to moving to the towns. Macra na Feirme are in the studio.

Music from K43 a new band from Longford. They'll be singing their recent single 'Yeah'.

And finally, with summer approaching, we'll have Joe Murphy in to give us tips on how to clean your garden hose.

According to Gavin Reilly on Newstalk they bent over backwards and forwards to accommodate CB and all but begged her to take the job.

No hope for these people if they think she's in any way suitable for the gig.

If Brendan O’Connor got it it’s doomed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭sporina

hi ya not been on this thread in an age..

Q is there something going on in RTE? Caitriona Perry leaving and people pulling out of the running for the late late - or coincidence?

Facts only please - as oppose to.. tia

Catriona Perry got an offer from the BBC she couldn't refuse, that's just coincidence,

The others got scared away by the expectation that come with the job and that they feared failure. They should never have been contenders in the first place, but it was all this "has to be a woman" that put them as front runners .

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Loblox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Watching her now on Irelands Smartest. If this was a radio programme I'd be wondering was the host ChatGPT. Just no chemistry at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Paddy Kielty would be brilliant for it. John Creedon would be good but it would be a soft show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,490 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A few kind words for RT but he didn't give anything away.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

They will dig out some RTE insider to do the job ... the trad way this show operated ... get the Saturday chat guy to do it ... Gaybo replaced by Pat Kenny ... Kenny replaced by Ryan Tubridy ... that would link one to Angela Scanlon ... Tommy Tiernan ... Tiernan won't get it because he is male ... and too controversial ... Angela seems to have ruled herself out !! ?? ..

Who else has presented a show on TV or radio .... Imelda May ..... Claire Byrne ... Sarah McInerney ... Darragh McCullagh ... Sinead O'Connor ... Brendan O'Connor ... Imelda May ... Brian Ormond ... Nicky Byrne ... Zamp ... Nathan Carter ... Imelda May .... Kathryn Thomas ... Panti ... Baz ... Craig Doyle ... Lottie Ryan ... Ciara Kelly ... Tracy Clifford ... Imelda May .... Alison Spittle ... Imelda May .... the 2 Higgins lassies .... Imelda May .... Vogue ... Panti ....Imelda May .... Johnny Toiletpaper !!! That Toiletpaper guy is meant to be very good but apparently he has opted out ... rumour had it he is the only male with a sporting chance but his wife says she is available !! ..

Pat Kenny is left ... Charlie Bird has one of the worst forms of cancer ... Kathleen Byrne is retired ... Sean Uiscí is too controversial ... Brian Ormond not around ... counts them all out ... but where's Olivia O'Leary?? How about that ex girlfriend of Tubridy?? ...

Seriously I'd say all females above would be approached .... starting with the most likely and then moving to every major female guest .... would not be surprised if your won who sang Fairtale of NY before Christmas got it .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps that Kevo lad is in the mix...

Regarding a female host aren't men more popular? Can't think of another female chat show host of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I think Daithi O’Shea must be on the shortlist. A safe pair of hands, familiar to the LLS ‘mature’ audience from the rose of Tralee and the afternoon show (live at 3 dead by 4). Not sure how well he would handle the current affairs aspect though.

Looks like Kielty is being lined up after his appearance and words at the IFTAS last night.....

The women of Ireland werent up to the "pressure" of hosting the LLS.....

I dont mind kielty, seems ok to me, he's not NKM at least....but he will cost too much....

Post edited by StevenToast on

Seems like the only people that didn't realise CB wasn't suitable were RTE. She even knew herself.

Maybe they not go for him up to this because he won't be an RTE person and won't be controlled by them. I presume if Kielty gets it , it will be on the basis that he has alot of control himself. Does that mean that the present LLS producers and researchers could be moved on from the LLS as kielty hires his own team. Maybe it's all this backroom politics that's really behind who they are choosing as host

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭squonk

Probably good if they get Kielty but even if he costs too much he might be put in as a seat warmer. Distance the show from Tubbs and give RTE a year or two to groom some insider to take over. By that time Kielty might have rescued the ratings, revitalised the show and made the gig more attractive.

Then in true RTE style his contract won’t be renewed and the anointed one will take over and we’ll be back to square one after another few years.

Advertisement