Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service acting up allowance

• 07-05-2023 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Hi. I work in a civil service department. My manager is moving to a new department and it means that there will be a vacancy in my section. He has suggested to his manager that I temporarily take up his post for a number of months until such time as a full time replacement comes in. I get on very well with both people and they have both said that I would be the ideal person to do the job. From past experience our HR department take ages to replace staff that leave so this temporary role would be a good stopgap. I was just wondering if this 'acting up' position is actually something that HR would go for? I know there was acting up allowances in the past but I would suspect that even a temporary post would have to be advertised internally at the very least. I would like the opportunity but dont want to run the risk of upsetting other members of staff if they think an underhand deal has been done. Has anybody or is anybody currently in an acting up role and if so how was it processed by your division and HR. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I think as long as you are liked and follow the golden rule of doing absolutely nothing whilst appearing to be extremely busy doing important tasks you should be fine. Just keep smiling at everyone and attending the working lunch meetings where you get the free sambos and soup from that expensive deli around the corner. Be fine I reckon.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

We had an AP vacancy filled last year for a while by someone acting up. I remember the post was definitely advertised internally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im definitely in the wrong Department if there are working lunch meetings with free food. It is usually 2 hour meetings over lunch and you get a spare 5 minutes to throw your home made food down your neck before jumping on the next meeting lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Yeah I figured it would have to be advertised internally. If that is the case its fine. Obviously I would like the opportunity but I dont want it to come back and bit me if the process isnt done properly. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Yeah, it sounds like you need to transfer into a better clique asap. Don't fall into the trap of being the clown that actually does shít, you will end up getting blamed for everything that goes wrong and overlooked for the genuine pay jump promotions that the attractive people get. You never get promoted in the CS for what you do, you get ahead by agreeing with the chunts that matter and smiling and agreeing with everyone. Start now.

Get into a clique and stick to it. There is power in numbers. Eventually your clique will become important, hang tough. Glory awaits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

Safe to say Count is on the wind up. PAS don't score you on who you know. Free food/anything is a rarity. Only time I remember it is days in the IPA training.

Re acting up allowance - you can ask, but again my experience is more common that a HEO/AO covers the role in all but name and pay until a permanent replacement is brought in. That can take months. Some Departments appear to do acting up still though, so may as well ask the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

In relation to acting up there is now a time limit of 2 years. If you are still acting up after that you automatically become a full time whatever you are acting up as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭sekond

Depending on how fast they plan to fill the vacancy, you may not be eligible to officially act up. I know in my case I was temporarily stepping into the role, but because they planned to have a replacement in "soon", there was never an official acting up process. I ended up working at the higher level for the best part of a year, with no acting up allowance (it was extremely useful in getting me promoted shortly afterwards, so looking back on it, it was a win).

Even if the role doesn't have to be advertised internally, there may be rules around seniority that mean that though your boss may think you are the best option, there is someone in the unit who has seniority who has to get it first.

Advertisement