Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Suppose my view is biased by living in North Inner City, which looking back was a pretty apathetic ward in a useless city council. SDCC seemed a lot saner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There's a clue in there as to why turnout was respectable - two votes at once. (actually a third as we had a divorce tweak referendum the same day as well). The Euro elections are reasonably high-profile, debates on TV etc, gets people aware that there's 'a vote on'.

Obviously nothing to stop you just voting in one and not the others, but sure once something has brought you to the polling booth you might as well fill in all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

So you think if the local elections were held on their own, our turnout would be as dreadful as England's?

Hey, I never said that. I merely pointed out that, logically imo, our 50% turnout in Local Elections must surely be helped by us always having European Elections on the same day, and often throwing a referendum on top. A rising tide, all boats etc. Also avoids the fatigue factor - if you had the Locals 4 months after the Euro Elections and 8 months after a referendum then people might go a bit 'Brenda from Bristol' on them.

But to answer your question. No, I think standalone local elections would still poll much higher than yesterdays UK figures. I think out PRSTV system at all levels generally makes us much more politically/electorally aware than people in the UK where there can be a total disconnect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think out PRSTV system at all levels generally makes us much more politically/electorally aware than people in the UK where there can be a total disconnect.

Plus, the FPTP system generates apathy and disengages voter's: "safe" seats are such because your vote is demonstrably less valuable if you know Party X get in regardless of one person's extra vote. PR by design ensures a single persons vote can make a difference by dint of transfers. FPTP quickly discourages voters, especially in functional duopolies. Of course there are those that know all this and would fight revision - see Starmer for his dogged rejection of PR.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see the leader of Republic has been arrested, given no reason when police approached. I'd love to know the justification to bang up the leader of a peaceful protest - though I'd be first to admit I know little of Republic's politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pretty sure they said all protesters would be arrested. They can use all sorts of public order, the new protest laws or even claim it's for the safety of the protester excuses. The last one is probably true given how froth mouth they get about certain things in England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Police claimed the materials used to package the placards could have been used to tie themselves to things.

This is covered under the abhorrent new laws in the UK as a legitimate reason for detention.

Everyone involved in bringing through the legislation should be utterly ashamed of themselves, but of course they are incapable of that.

The right who are apparently against cancel culture never learn. We have known since Monthly Python that trying to stop something is great publicity. I had never heard of the Republic leader until he got arrested.

Making martyrs out of molehills.

Welp, it certainly was exactly the kind of bullshít I suspected it might be; farcical but depressingly unsurprising. Even if ultimately it'll only give Republic even more oxygen, showing the UK institutions infatuated and wedded to the monarchial status quo. I'd keep an eye on Republic's social media, they might find their membership increase in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whatever about arresting people who campaign for a republic, I'd seriously question the decision to arrest members of a group that give out rape alarms to women...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

But I was told that the proud British working class had enough of middle class activists... 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Still a solid support level for the monarchy, although certainly reduced in numbers, but this was always expected once Elizabeth passed away. Republic in other protests would be Stop Oil or wanting to ban horse racing, or whatever cause it is that weekend. There always was a core 25% in the UK that opposed the Crown.

What I think will happen through public pressure, will be the stripped back royals having to pay more in tax. A move like that would actually give them more support. William and Kate have done very well in pitching themselves as young parents, resonating with a lot of folk. How long before they are King and Queen?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The leader of Republic had been in meetings with the met police the day before and they had agreed on allowing the protests, hours later he was one of those arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I notice a lot of the far right grifters like Farage and GB News types are all over the Coronation. It's fascinating to see right wing English nationalists lay claim to the monarchy, even though the likes of Charles would probably be disgusted by them as people and want nothing to do with any of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't know how anyone can believe a word the Met say when they come out with garbage like this. They received intelligence that people would throw rape whistles to disrupt the coronation (already this is ludicrous) so they arrested 3 people at 2am in Soho the night before with rape whistles. Because there is no other reason they would have them there at that time?

Let's be honest a large part of the appeal is that Kate is good looking.

There is serious pushing and essentially gaslighting about how amazing she is and how she is some sort of reincarnation of similar vacant celebrities like Diana Spencer, Jackie Kennedy and Grace Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was struck by how comparatively low key the coronation was. It definitely doesn't help that Charles is in his mid 70s (and a pretty old looking seventy something too)....the nation didn't seem entirely gripped by the event.

You could reasonably speculate a large swathe of the English population couldn't give a damn about the monarchy, beyond it being a cutesy, walking tourist trap and vague notion of tradition. Doesn't seem to translate to actual republican attitudes but no more than there were a lot of shoulder shrugs when Lizzie died, the shrugging appeared to continue right up to the coronation.

A recent YouGov poll somewhat backs this up: not so much showing Republican attitudes but definite Mixed Feelings - especially broken down by age. As one might expect, young people are ambivalent at best, the older more supportive.

Don't forget around Diana's death: Lizzie was a hated figure with the population, especially with her slowness to respond publicly to Diana's death. She and her husband were somewhat written as bad guys in the fairy tale myth the press liked to churn out. Since then there has been this AstroTurf tactic to cultivate a narrative of the nation's granny - and as you intimate, the trend continues with Kate. Useful that she's conventionally attractive and doesn't look like a horsy, inbred royal; and white too, which must please the GB News types (the entertainment value alone, of the next in line marrying a black person would be worth keeping the monarchy around; watching the right wing press try to keep their cool would be fantastic)

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭rock22

The local elections can onluy de seen as a defeat for the Tories, losing 1058 councillors. But has it bee a real success for Labour and Keir Starmenr? While Labour did gain 536 councillor seats the combination of the Liberal Democrats and the Green party saw gains of 646 seats.

Clearly there is disillusionment with the Tories but Labour are not attracting these voters in enough numbers to ensure a majority in Parliamentary elections I am a little surprised, given the mess the Government have made of things , particularly since the Brexit referendum, that Labour are not clear favourites to take the next general elections.

• Advertisement

You are kind of ignoring the original seat count here, and the new seat count. Which is understandable as the media seems to use 'gained/lost' as the only metric as well.

Labour went into it with 2100 councillors, Libs with 1200 and Greens with 250. So almost be definition there was less scope for Labour to gain than the other two parties. Gaining 500 from an already high basepoint is surely a decent result. 35% FPV is also good, especially as there was no voting in Wales, Scotland or London. 35%, excluding these areas, is the sort of figure which points to an overall majority in the next GE, but not enough to push it into 1997 Blair territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What you're missing here is that thenTories lost over 1000 seats at this local elections but also lost over 500 at the last one, that's a loss of nearly 1600 seats in the last few years.

Also local elections are a different beast to the General elections, while people are happy to vote for the greens or lib dems to run local councils that support will not transfer to votes in a general election.

If Labour can push more people to vote for them and if they can make inroads in Scotland then a Labour majority is definitely on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭Christy42

Still a two party system. If conservatives don't win it will be a win for labour. Labour are big favourites for the next election. Plus it is generally quite a slim number of total votes actually required for a full victory with fptp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭rock22

I accept all the criticism of my succinct post.

I didn't take into account any difference in seat counts, or the starting positions of the different parties, and I am aware that what happens at a local elections does not necessarily transfer to a general election. And while it is a two party system there has been a coalition government 13 years ago and a minority Tory government, (May) more recently.

I am not trying to rain on Labours parade. Voters are clearly unhappy with the Tories and are abandoning them in droves. And Labour are picking up more of these than any other party. But they are not picking up most of them. A coalition of Labour and LibDems would be a strong possibility I would have thought. And not such a bad idea either and it might instil a little bit of cross party dialogue sorely lacking in UK politics.

Broken link but title says it all. Really doubt Labour would agree to it.

Quite a few people I know used it as cue to take a trip abroad. I personally assumed most people attending would be foreigners and fanatics so stayed in.

Long before E2 died I suspected that C3 would abdicate after only a few years. He's got too much baggage especially from the POV of other commonwealth countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Commonwealth Realms are reducing constantly. Belize and Jamaica are very likely to go republic in the next few years for starters. Going to be very very few Commonwealth leaders at Wills coronation I would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Labour aren't going to repeal the anti-protest laws if they win the next election, as per David Lammy.

On the Public Order bill of 2022. "We can't come into office and start repealing Tory legislation. It would take up too much time."

So that's disappointing, though they did initially say they'd repeal the recent anti strike legislation so maybe they'll keep that pledge.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

On the grand scale of things there is not much difference in how Labour and the Conservatives care about civil rights. Just look at all the detention without trial stuff that came out in the Blair years.

Advertisement