Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Leinster matches look extra poor when Croke Park is used, even if there is 30k it looks empty. Anything less than that you can hear the seagulls.

I remember years ago I went off to Parnell was a nice day wanted to watch a match, Louth were playing Wicklow. And Parnell was fairly packed, both sets of fans were really into it, proper tension. It is like a match should be.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Didn’t effect them in the league last year when they won and celebrated like they won a cup

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Home advantage is a big thing at games. Looks at the AIL all things being equal the home team wins most if the time. Waterford hurlers have struggled in the Munster championship round robin over the last 5+ years as they have no home games.

Home advantage in a pitch you are used to playing a lot of games in is a huge advantage and is probably worth 2-3 points in a game

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

That's why it's a joke to play Saturdays game at Croker. It's no benefit to Dublin whatsoever. Playing in a huge stadium with only about a crowd of 15,000 max there will be no atmosphere and Wexford will relish the wide open pitch.

I was thinking there didn't Kerry bring back Bomber Liston for a last hurrah. I looked it up then and they did in 93. Dublin seem to be like that Kerry team now. Auld Legends brought back, I was under the assumption that Cluxton was back as cover.

But now it seems like an attempt to 'steady the ship'. To be honest I think a right clear out is needed. And in fairness to Dessie it must be hard to get the balance right.

At least he benched Rock the last day, something I felt he wouldn't have the balls to do. And it worked out well with Rock on the pitch at the end of the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭toffeeshel

Just got the following from gaago

‘The draws for the group stages of the Sam Maguire and Tailteann Cups will take place at 1pm on Tuesday, May 2ndlive on http://GAA.ie (GAANOW) and available on the @OfficialGAA and @GAAGO social media channels.’

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He has a point about Dublin playing their games in CP but he seems to forget that it gets voted on at the Leinster council level (which includes Kildare blazers) all the time. And what do you know, they all want the games there as it's more money in the pot for them. Maybe he should go back and have a moan at his own country board first and foremost.

On the referring angle, he's clearly smoking the good stuff if he thinks Dublin get an advantage from any refs these days. For most games it's like there's two separate rule books being used and we certainly are not getting the benefit there.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Leinster has 12 counties. All have votes at Leinster board level. If the Kildare, Meath and Louth board members voted against it the rest of the counties would carry it. Wexford and Kilkenny are hurling counties mainly so will vote for what brings in the most money

Wicklow, Carlow, Longford are all D4 teams I think with Westmeath, Laois and Offally D3 teams.

Kildare blazers as you put it will have little say. You only have to look at the debacle that Kildare went throuy3-4 years ago with ''Newbridge or nowhere''

Slava Ukrainii

There's nothing stopping the Kildare board putting forward a vote on it. That's my entire point. It's a bit much to have a go at our team for something they other county boards agree to every time it's voted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Meath wont vote for it because they like playing dublin in croker and there fans want it too, its over an hour and half to portaoise for them compared to 20-40 min drive into croker from anywhere south of Navan, Ratooath, Ashbourne, Dunboyne etc. Meath fan numbers double when playing in croker they see it as a day out in what used to be there home ground in 80s and 90s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭eire4

Fed up with all those moaners about Dublin playing in Croke Park and home advantage. They all conveniently forget who the GAA's biggest financial draw is and how that benefits them all. But beyond that look if you want Dublin having to play outside Croke Park then fine lets take a big chunk of GAA money and build our own home ground with say a 40,000 capacity as thats what we would need for a home ground. Parnell Park is obviously way too small. But we all know they all would be dead set against the huge chunk of money that would be needed for that to happen been taken out of the GAA budgets. So until the rest of the countries OK the building of a suitable home ground for Dublin Croke Park it is.

Fell better now you have got that whingefest off you chest. There is agood few grounds of 40k+ all over the country. There was only 17K at the match last Sunday so no need for a 40K satium to hold it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d forgotten this recording. Had savage seats for Cluxtons kick

Dont think I will ever see a better end to a game as a Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭eire4

haha love it got a good laugh out of that. So what if there was only 17,000 at Sundays game. If all the whingers want Dublin not having Croke Park as a home ground then let the GAA take some of their budget and build us a home stadium fit for purpose ( my suggestion was for 40,000 or there abouts) because Parnell Park is not it. Until then I will continue to enjoy all the whingers just really jealous of Dublin's success because lets face it there was not a peep from them from 1980 to 2010 when we won the sum total of 2 All Irelands in 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

I thought they announced around 30k at the game on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

I have Wexford match on GAA Go feels tense. Ronan Hayes injured early - P Crummey sub.

Plus the naysayers forget to mention for years CP was a disadvantage for the Dublin footballers against good sides. How often did we hear that Kerry or XYZ enjoy CP.

Also from a hurling perspective CP is a disadvantage. But O’Donoghue has not copped that yet..

Jayus that hurling game wasn't good for the heart -

1) Fortunate Dublin goal from a wexford error - said on GAAGO prior to Dublin goal they only got 5 in the last 10 games.

2) Great Brennan save - best thing since sliced bread

3) Donal Burke is just a pure legend with ice in veins for those frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

To think some on here think we need to come up to Wexfords levels as a hurling county. And another doomsayer said we'd no chance today. We're in transition and beat a very experienced Wexford team and more than likely will get out of the group. That's about the best that can be expected right now. It's a great win for the lads. It was always going to be a close call. Anyone that wrote us off completely today hasn't a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Brilliant win. Fair play to the lads. The two Burke's were fantastic.

Referee tried his best to bring Wexford back into it late on. We did well to grind it out.

Dublin did ride their luck though, it took a fantastic save from Brennan and fortuitous goal for Dublin for Dublin to get over the line. On the commentary I watched they were very critical of the standard in the first half in particular.

But delighted with the win all the same, as you say it is as good as can be expected given the standard Dublin hurling is at. If I was a Wexford I would be raging, they were very sloppy. Only really switched on towards the tail end of the match.

--

12 euros well spent on GAA felt like the first real 'championship' game in any Dublin code. Probably it wasn't one for the neutrals though. I was roaring at the telly anyway.

I don't know is it just me? But I prefer watching hurling in Parnell instead of CP. Not only that the pitch is tighter etc. But the play is much easier to see and follow than in CP.

That would be me who wrote them off and I'm delighted to be wrong. Great win for the lads and now for the important part, backing up that performance in the next game.

I was thinking yesterday that Micky Harte would be good manager for Dublin. He would put a bit of structure on the team tighten them up. But is he a viable future option is he even on the DCB radar? There has been no 'non-Dub' football manager since Tommy Lyons. Would the Dub fanbase accept Micky Harte?

Not sure I'd be keen on seeing us play the type of ball Harte plays these days. Fitzmorriss is someone I wouldn't mind seeing having a crack with thos current squad though. Although a Kerry man taking the Duns job would be interesting to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

What about Micky Moran?

Why do we need to go outside the county for our football manager? First you want our hurlers to bring in lads from other counties now you propose an outside manager for our footballers. What next our half time music The Boys are Back in Town replaced with The Rose of Tralee?

It will be one of our own next manager. As it should be for a county of our size and football heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Yeah, could you imagine Dublin Gaa getting a big chunk of…oh wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How many stadiums would 90 million get ye (if they weren't being built by the Cork County Board)?

Advertisement