Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

The op was suggesting re-introducing the death sentence for very serious crimes - not your average run of the mill criminals. And it wasn't about the possibility of innocent people being convicted either.

Life in prison is usually the direct alternative to the death sentence. If your crime is serious enough to warrant a possible death sentence, then it's usually also serious enough to preclude the possibility that you would ever be released from prison. So it's very relevant to such discussions.

You haven't addressed my point about many people in society getting gratification from the idea of a criminal being locked up for a long time? If it's such a humane and civilised alternative compared to the death penalty, then why would it illicit such a response from people?

Going back to the example of animals again, imagine if people were getting the same gratification from seeing a dangerous dog locked in a cage and denied it's freedom because it had killed someone.... people would consider this to be perverse and depraved behaviour. There would be calls for the animal to be put down, as it would not be socially acceptable to take pleasure in the suffering of any creature that was locked up.

But yet we seem to take a different attitude to people, and in fact even pretend we are very humane and civilised for these same actions and attitudes. But a quick humane death is considered cruel and uncivilised by comparison in humans. Even though it's viewed the opposite when done to animals. Why the difference in mentality?

Strangely, we seem to have the same attitude to euthanasia of the sick and suffering. It's considered an act of mercy kindness and compassion when we put a suffering animal down... but many people consider putting a person down in the same circumstances as being morally objectionable. So in essence, we treat animals more humanely than people in many situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

Peppa Pig is a c*nt.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Agreed , the Chinese method of a pistol behind the ear is more humane than what the Americans do ( years on death row or incarcerated)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,727 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Bruce Springsteen does absolutely nothing for me as a musical artist

I’ve never gotten the hype / appeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Locking someone up whist a punishment is also protecting others from acquiring a similar fate from the perpetrators of those crimes.

Re-offending rates within one year of release from prison were 48% in 2018 down to 45% in 2019. The Central Statistics Office (CSO) published those stats.

So almost half of criminals who acquire a custodial sentence are back acting the scumbag within 12 months….

be interesting to see the 5 year stats if available…

we’ve gone from making the perpetrator into a victim… stupid attitude..

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I know this comment is probably a bit tongue in cheek, but I don't disagree with you. Spending decades on death row exhausting the appeals process is a stupid system. Hugely inefficient and wasteful.

There's almost 8 billion people on the planet.

Human life is not as precious or special as some people seem to think. If you've committed a very serious crime, where it's not practical or socially acceptable to be released back into society, then I don't see the big deal with ending the life of such individuals.

They're no great loss to society, and we would be much better off focusing our energy and resources on the billions of decent law abiding citizens who are not ruining other people's lives.

I think some people's attitude to the death penalty comes from the idea that death is the worst fate that can befall any person. But objectively speaking, this is not really true. There are plenty of horrific scenarios you can experience in this life, which outrank a quick peaceful humane death. Being locked up indefinitely and possibly being kept in isolation for decades, would rank among many people's worst fears in this life. But because we've been socially/psychologically conditioned to fear death above all other things, our natural response is to see it as the worst option. When it really isn't always the case.

I was dead serious earlier, Now China is a pretty awful place but executing someone their way is in my opinion less cruel than life in prison or decades in death row , some say an innocent person might end up being executed but I would prefer be executed then spend decades in prison for a crime I didn’t commit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you, in your current job, can be replaced by a current AI, I think you should be. Let the computers handle the drudgery, and let people do the jobs where they can add the most human value. If your job involved helping people, it's probably safe, whether it's direct care (e.g. nursing) or indirect (e.g. helping to fix their internet connections). Jobs that require real-world work are at no risk: a computer can't replace a plumber. If your job involves producing impersonal "content" that no-one really wants or needs, what do you do that ChatGPT can't already do better?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The thing is companies will work very hard to try to get AI to deal with indirect care, the fact that its far cheaper trumps the fact it will be a terrible customer experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Recently there was a study that compared the bedside manner or whatever it's called between actual doctors and AI models. Surprisingly, the AI models came out on top, and people rated them as being more empathetic than real doctors. The same is also true when researchers put AI bots in a virtual village and watched their interactions with each other. People rated their humanness higher than actual humans who were given a similar task.

Roll-on fully automated luxury communism 😁

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I took one look and the thread titles were so woke it looked like a parody. Beat a hasty retreat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Multi millionaire singing about how shyte it is to be poor.

He seems to only appeal to males in the 50-60 age bracket.

Most people love him and that’s ok , you either get an artist or you don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There are no thread titles on Mastadon. Are you a little confused?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

OK, whatever Mastodon calls tweets!

Just checked it again. Superwoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coffeebear95

Advertisers that use eating noises in their ads should face the death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s not about what you call them. There are no titles on Mastadon, just like there are no titles on Twitter. They’re not bulletin boards.

Perhaps you were looking in the wrong place?

What does “superwoke” actually mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,203 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You know it's decentralised? You can find mastadon servers for anything at all. It's like popping into boards and saying that everyone is a vaper when you only looked at the vaping forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rock music for people who don't usually listen to rock music.

Would put him in the same boat as Bon Jovi. The types of bands you'd see Enda Kenny playing air guitar to.

Ah he’s not that lame now in fairness, one test which is absolutely fail proof in my experience is Bon Jovi fan’s always always like Bryan Adams as well

• Registered Users Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'Born in the USA', 'Summer of 69', 'Livin' on a Prayer' - all songs you would hear on the dancefloor of an Irish countryside wedding before everyone sits down and starts doing Rock the Boat. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Skoda should go back to making rear engine cars

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Workplaces should take a more dictatorial stalinistic approach to smokers.

basically no smoking unless it’s a designated break, AM, lunch etc…

Most smokers I’ve worked with walk from the office to canteen, make tea, chat, walk to smoking area outside, smoke / chat / drink, walk back, wash hands, cup, have a piss so a single smoke break can be around 15 minutes….I’d guess that’s average from what I’ve witnessed…so it’s more then just feeding an addiction…it’s that, it’s social, it’s relaxation, it’s whatever

Per shift….4 smoke breaks…. 1 hour of extra breaks…Most smokers I’ve worked with will take take 4 smoke breaks in addition to scheduled breaks per shift….

If another non smoking employee went to the break room 4 times, to watch a horse race during a shift, live national salmon fishing championships from Killybegs during a shift…. Or just sat there eating….

They’d be reeled into a meeting with the boss… the argument that it’s a medical condition, addiction, nope.

by that standard an individual with narcolepsy could be there asleep at the desk for hours a day…..narcolepsy is a medical condition…

I worked in a petrol station decades ago. Smokers were allowed have official (sanctioned by boss) smoke breaks as well as their regular breaks. One day I asked if I could head out with one of the lads as he was heading for a ciggie.... I was told no, you're not a smoker, you don't get smoke breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Friend of mine used to work in a place that had a strict union in it, he was told to sit and read the paper

for 10 mins while others went for a smoke break.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

ADHD is turning into a fad. Loads of people I know from back in my college days are getting themselves diagnosed, paying up to €1,000 to online doctors for prescription stimulants. They definitely don’t have ADHD, as they have always been top performers. They graduated with first class honours degrees or II.1s, and work in high pressure jobs (e.g. law firms, banks etc). I wouldn’t mind, but it’s all on the drug payment scheme so it’s my tax subsidising it. Absolutely nuts that 1 hour chatting with someone on zoom can get you a diagnosis and a prescription for strong stimulants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cms88

Nowadays people just want some sort of label on themselves imo.

Advertisement