Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

The only thing that worries me, is a scammer locking the device down through the serial number and they would have proof of purchase etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

cex normally have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hi folks,

I'm considering a Steam deck for some portable gaming and I'm wondering what people's experiences are?

It looks like a lot of the launch issues are resolved so the overall experience seems decent

In terms of gaming, I have a PS5 with PS plus, so I'll probably be using that for most of the action/shooter type games

I'd probably be using the deck for games that aren't as easily available or played on PS5, like some strategy or RPG games

So I'm not going to be buying every latest AAA title and expecting 60fps

I'm also interested if anyone has tried the remote play features on a PS5. I know it depends on network a lot, but in general is it useable?

Also, how are people finding using the deck with a keyboard and mouse. I see there's docks available so I'd be interested in plugging it into my monitor with keyboard and mouse for some RTS gaming

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Best device Ive ever owned - its replaced my gaming pc completely - to be honest I need a new GPU but spent the money on the Deck instead.

Currently using it for Emulation, Titanfall2, Cyberpunk 2077 and The witcher 3.

All play absolutely brilliant on it all with lower settings than the main pc - with tweaking you can get 60 on most of those games at lower settings (Titanfall 2 plays @ 60 fps with high settings) and looks great but 40 hz is the sweet spot - lots of guides online for 40 hz mode.Another this is that its so easy to just jump on and off for quick gaming sessions.

Xbox game pass ultimate took about 5 minutes to set up with a mouse and keyboard so a dock is essential in my opinion. I got one last week from amazon warehouse for a fiver delivered and its better than the one I paid 30 for.

Mouse and keyboard work really well - my old stadia controller over blue tooth works great as well - glad I kept it.

Definitely a great device if you are into PC gaming.

Thanks, my gaming PC is being retired to the great server farm in the sky so I'm looking around for replacements

The PS5 is doing good work, but there's some games which don't play well and I kind of miss my steam library

I was debating a gaming laptop but I'm starting to feel like a steam deck would be better for my needs and cheaper too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 dextersnp

Can you share the dock link?

Are you using with stock power supply?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The dock is this one.

Unfortunately its gone up to 7.99 sterling.

Im using the stock power supply and also a 100watt one for my chrome book which works aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dextersnp

Thanks for the link

works perfectly?

9 euros here, you paid 30?

No I paid 5.00 euros on a warehouse deal - box was damaged and I took a chance on it. Works great and outputs on my TV @ 1080p 60hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

second what hellrazer said it's a great kit. Even with the PS in the house you can easily stream from it and play in bed :)

Runs most stuff great on the small screen. The best thing is how much support there is and how open a system it is. So you can do anything a PC can but in your hands.

• Advertisement

Thanks just started looking into it in detail and I'm impressed with the amount of configuration and customisation that can be done. It's a definite breath of fresh air when so many hardware developers are locking out more and more functions

Anyone know what the lead time situation is for the 256GB model? Steam website just has the top spec model in stock. Extra storage is nice but I don't really want to shell out over €600 if I can avoid it

The out of stock is new. They previously had expected delivery times in the months and got it down to 2 weeks but never out of stock, even when they didn't have them made so very much out of stock. Wonder if they are swapping out some parts or maybe making and in between 64-256gb model ??

It's been about a year since launch, so maybe they're working on an updated model? Maybe WiFi 6 or something will be added

I would have expected a few years between refreshes given that's what the other console brands are working off

Although maybe Valve are going to make smaller updates and shorten the development cycle

Like what they did with Half Life 2 🤣

Theres a lad in Limerick that has a load of new decks unopened - Hes very reputable.

All with warranty and not activated. I had messaged him about one but a lad I dealt with on adverts before messaged me with a great deal so I took that one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

I think many (myself included) picked them up on the sale.

It's easily surpassed my switch and Ps5 and is level with xbox in terms of play time. Gamepass is easy to set up yet to try the ps plus as I head issues with the track pad on dual sense.

Best thing I've bought all year

Anyone gotten an 64GB and upgraded the SSD? Looking online it seems shockingly simple, don't have to get a heat gun or snap some super delicate plastic tabs or anything

I feel like a conversation between Valve and Apple product designers would be hilarious to watch 😁

Anyway, upgrading the SSD seems like a pretty good value way to get more storage capacity and there's a few videos of 2TB SSDs performing better than the 512GB one

Too bad the RAM and network card isn't upgradable. 32GB RAM and WiFi 6 would be pretty awesome 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I did(*)

It is very easy, I've swapped the sd about 5 times... (*) I think I got a bad 512gb card though as no matter what I've tried it freezes after 5-10 mins. Whether it's been from a fresh install, or a clone of the original card. Swapping back in the original works fine... So I've given up on that card now.

Anyways, I've a 2tb card being delivered next week, so fingers crossed this works... 🤣

Cheers, there unfortunately seems to be enough crap SSDs out there with plenty of capacity but meagre speeds to warrant caution. Will definitely be doing my homework before going ahead with an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Bought a 2nd Deck (64GB) a couple months back, and upgraded to a 1TB Sabrent Rocket with almost next to no issues - only unexpected bit was the lack of button input during any re-image meaning you had to use the touchscreen (or external KB) up to a certain point of the install. Same happens any other time a re-image is done, so it's just something that happens - but not with a stock model (512GB).

Other than that, it's extremely plain sailing but just requires a bit of care and attention when dealing with the case removal - don't use a heatgun. Little plastic picks like from an IFixit kit is the best method (don't use a screwdriver as you'll scuff the plastic), but there's a good chance just slipping the pick in on the right-side won't be quite enough. You may need to prise the case apart around the triggers to force a space to allow the pick to do it's work on the side. There are little plastic tabs all around the perimeter so you do need to be a little careful not to force it too much, and it's not something I'd advise doing repeatedly. Rest of it is fairly simple, with only a few steps and everything done in the right order/right screws should have no issues.

Real-world game performance of the SSD is more or less subject to other limiting factors of the Deck, so storage space is the tangible bonus, but I'd still recommend a hefty MicroSD as part of the package with all capacities if only to limit re-downloading/transferring if you end up re-installing at points down the line.

• Advertisement

Good call on the plastic wedge tool for opening the clips, I must pick up one of those

I didn't really need one with my last laptop since I fell on it in the 2011 big freeze and the case never really went back together properly. At least it made upgrading the hard drive and network adapter easy

Back on topic, it does look like there's some degree of technique to taking the case off, but I guess that's the case on any mobile device is going to be a tad tricky to remove

I'll probably go the SD card route first and then maybe upgrade the SSD when the magic money tree flowers again

More questions 😁

Anyone tried hooking up to an ultra wide curved monitor? I have an itch to waste some money that I don't have on one of those curved 38 inch screens

I'd probably use the deck docked with keyboard and mouse for some strategy gaming

I know the deck can't really push high frame rates at that resolution so I'm not expecting too tier performance, but I'd be hoping for something playable at mid level graphics settings

Can t see any reason why it wouldnt work. You probably wouldnt even need a dock depending on the model of monitor as some of them are straight up USB-C connection.

Just get a stand for the deck, bluetooth k/b and mouse and youd have a nice little setup.

You`d probably have to drop some settings down though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IMO it’d be a waste / total overkill to go top of the line monitor for a Steam Deck. It works great at 720p but you’ll start losing a lot of performance and picture quality as you climb up in resolution. Ultra wide requires additional horizontal pixel resolution so you’ll be pushing the machine extra hard and will almost certainly feel the performance pinch there and have to lower the settings on all but the oldest, least demanding games. You’d be spending a lot of money and not getting the benefits of the monitor, unless you really want to run it for some simple productivity tasks, web browsing etc…

There’s certainly a use for a docked Steam Deck experience, especially with somewhat older games, indie ones, less demanding titles etc… But reasonably modern, graphically intensive ones are best suited for handheld. If you’re buying a monitor for it, I’d certainly say anything over a decent 1080p monitor would like be getting into overkill territory, and you won’t really benefit from higher refresh rates to the same extent as a desktop either.

I've a 38" ultra wide and the deck gets in okay with it. I usually am not playing full screen though. I'll have the game in a portion and something else in another part.

I should that most of the time the monitor would be for my work laptop and the gaming I do on an external monitor would be mostly strategy games which generally aren't as graphically demanding, so the odd dropped frame won't be a disaster

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’d be a lot more compromised than the odd dropped frame, unfortunately. It really depends on the game of course, but I wouldn’t be expecting a stellar, ultrawide gaming experience from a Steam Deck. But again if you’re using it for other stuff as well like for work, it might be a different story whether it’s worth your while.

I dock mine into a 47" TV and it upscales to 1080p, it really can't go further than that or you will start to see issues with random colours and objects appearing.

With regards to anyone replacing SSD's stay away from Sabrent, shop on Adverts as you can pick up Kioxia SSD's from Surfaces/Xbox Series S which are far more reliable. Also, instead of spending a fortune on an iFixit kit, purchase some guitar picks, they do the job just as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I used mien docked a lot of the time on my 1080p TV. I think I will buy a ps5 for the handful of high spec titles that comes out that I would want to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye. It's not terribly hard to remove the back, just needs a bit of care, as otherwise, you'll be left with a headache. I think some of the guides state just run the pick or prising tool along the right side grip, which might well work for some helpful Steam Decks, but in the two I've messed with, they just needed a bit more help in around the trigger area as there was more 'give'. Once you have a start, then it's literally just a case of running the tool around the edge and flipping the back off.

There are multiple different size screws as well, so make sure you have the proper drivers to hand, as they are quite delicate and there's a pretty good chance of damaging the heads (only the heads if you're lucky!). Avoid the temptation to get by with the easiest driver to hand as it'll only end in tears. The iFixit guide is decent and lists the screw sizes, but there's hundreds of guides/videos out there as you've probably noticed. The aim is to get it back together as if it's never been opened, so taking shortcuts isn't advisable. Some people have reported more creaking plastic noises than they remember after doing an upgrade, but there could be multiple issues for that - not all SSD's are the same height, loose or overdriven screws, all in their head etc

Worth seeing how the system goes for a while before launching into a SSD swap in any case just in case there's issues with it and you end up RMA'ing, and actual performance from MicroSD card is more than decent in any case - gets held up a bit when large patches are installed to SD etc, but nothing game-breaking.

Advertisement