Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Probably the latent effects of his SH conditioning has SHL in peak condition now. The delayed start to next season should give him time to reset and a good preseason should see him adapted to the NH season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Also he's only 23 so certainly is at an age where improvements can be expected, am I right I thinking he can qualify for Ireland at 26 if he doesn't have Irish family. Nobody seems to know of he does.

Also just on the marmion kicking I didn't think it was that bad a choice, if there was a knock on then scrum would have eaten up the clock and we were putting them under presssure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭testtech05

I think from hearing Friends interview on viaplay/premier sports after the game sounded like he was happy with the kicking option but he and everyone else on the sidelines was calling for the kicks to go deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Hurley-Langton is NIQ, he will qualify after 5 years.

He has Irish ancestry but it goes back more than two generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Huge win. Before Friend came here we'd never won in Ravenhill since the 40s or 50s i think and now we have 3 wins there.

I have had my criticism of the Connacht coaching team during the season but i have to credit them. Defensively we have gradually improved as the season went on and slowly but surely we look a lot more resilient as a team.

Really we were comfortably the better side but it was never going to be straight forward. It looked like it could have been another of those what if nights but we dug in and that was huge. Probably our biggest night since 2016.

For Connacht to make the last 4 in a competition of this quality is a massive step forward. Next week is a very tall order. If we can match that intensity in defence and bring a bit more composure at key times who knows but I'd worry that as the game wears on we'll run out of gas. For now we are the only team in the last 4 so let's enjoy the moment before it passes.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jesus Christ that is some gash on Hansens forehead.

Let's hope he had wolverines healing powers, as well as his chops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The coaching reshuffle at the start of the season looked questionable at the time but is starting to seem like a stroke of genius. Wilkins has done a great job of rebuilding our defence, and Colm Tucker has been a revelation as scrum and contact skills coach. I've never seen a Connacht team dominate collisions like last night, incredible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Special shout out to Denis Buckley. He was at his brilliant best yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If Connacht could pick up a decent skills coach, they would be doing well. Good strong pack at the moment but basic skills are shocking. The amount of unforced errors last night killed them. Either ones that lead to knock on, or just killed momentum in attack trying to gather poor balls. Connacht should have won that by a lot more and the main reason they didn’t was down to handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Another unsung hero: Josh Murphy had run himself to a standstill with 10 mins to go but he kept getting up and getting back into the line for his team; that's the stuff that sets a standard that wins close games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Didn't know that Sharks losing means Connacht are guaranteed Champions Cup Rugby next season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It does. 8 qualifiers. The shield winners, the league champions, the european champions cup and the european challenge cup winners and then the top league finnishers that aren't otherwise qualified.

So the Welsh shield winners being outside the top 8 meant that it was the top 7 qualifying with Sharks taking the place of 7th if they won the league.

One thing that was a bit strange was the Hansen Porch head collision. At first look it looked pretty darn bad. So I kind of wondered why both should have not gone for HIA. Not saying I wanted that to happen but that was some clash of heads. And I was surprised to see Hansen back after that blow to the head. Obviously I was glad to see them both ok but it looked really nasty

Yeah I couldn’t believe it, first porch not going for a HIA and second Mack coming back. For player safety thought it was a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

Yes and I think as Semi Finalists you're at least in Tier 2 for ERC draw. Make the final and you're a tier one team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

No, if Connacht make it to the final they become tier 1, if they don’t they’re tier 4.

Munster likewise, get to the final become tier 1, if not they’re tier 3.

(4.) The seeding for the 2022/23 EPCR Heineken Champions Cup draw will be determined as follows:

(4.1) the winner of the Final Match will be first seed;

(4.2) the runner-up in the Final Match will be second seed (provided that the runner-up has qualified for the EPCR Heineken Champions Cup in accordance with paragraphs 2-4, above);

(4.3) the remaining seeds will be determined by the order that the EPCR Heineken Champions Cup qualifiers finished in the final Standing League Table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That's a great season now. Heineken Cup is massive for us. Bonus territory next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Last 4 of the URC and guaranteed Champions Cup rugby is an unqualified success for the province. I know plenty have had complaints about Andy Friend at times but he's done way more good than bad overall. I hope he gets a great send off.

Connacht's budget is pretty much the same as Zebre's by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If they put up the same performance at the breakdown they'll be very hard to beat. Just need to be a bit more clinical when deep in the opposition 22.

I agree Friend has done an excellent job and many were giving out about him early in the season. They'd all love to see him stay now.

Not only that but they will be second seeds in Europe too. Which is a massive boost as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

No. Doesn't work like that.

Winner and losing finalist are first seed. Then it goes by league table.

Connacht will either be first seed or 4th seed from the urc.

Oh right, I thought it was purely on play off places.

I think the criticism was more directed at Pete Wilkins, as defense coach, after our start to the season. It manifested itself a bit with the team selection for the Challenge Cup Benetton game where Andy was largely held responsible.

All that aside, if stats serve me correctly, and after a difficult start to the season we have won the last 11 of 14 URC outings. If true that ain't shabby.

And on a controversial note (this I am renowned for) it's hard to feel in any way sorry for Ulster fans. They tend to be the least likeable of the 4 provincial sets of fans. I thought Bundees reaction said it all at the end of the game. I could paraphrase it but I don't think I need to

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

And on a controversial note (this I am renowned for) it's hard to feel in any way sorry for Ulster fans. They tend to be the least likeable of the 4 provincial sets of fans. I thought Bundee's reaction said it all at the end of the game. I could paraphrase it but I don't think I need to

It bothers me more than it should that casual readers of this thread might think that you're representative of Connacht supporters. Not just the above, which is nonsense, but most of the rubbish you've posted under half a dozen user names. Particularly that about individual players.

Well he's not wrong about a good section of Ulster supporters.

I was at the match and can honestly say they were the worst fans I have seen.

I've experienced it a couple of times up there. It's not nice, it's not rugby like. They are more like soccer fans.

You always want to welcome the opposition and show them respect but obviously theres a large contingent up there who don't want to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

We've a pocket of dopes ourselves, especially over in the Clan Stand. Literally had our captain abused by supposed Connacht supporters in front of his own family not too many years back.

I wasn't there Friday myself so can't speak to might've happened but have been to Belfast many times and never encountered anything too vulgar. Some of the most boisterous Ulster fans will be the first lads to shake your hand after a Connacht win. They'll chew the referees ear out and boo plenty but wouldn't be on my worst URC fans list.

Advertisement