Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eileen Flynn halting site taxi issue

Options

Comments

Our elected representatives are too supine to confront legitimate social challenges.

If I were in power, I would do the following - and without a shred of guilt:

• Ban the existence of halting sites throughout the country.
    • Ban their use of animals, which are often abused and living in dreadful conditions.
    • Limit social welfare over time, encouraging people to look for work. If offers of work or work experience are rejected, social welfare is cut completely (i.e. they can choose whether to have no social welfare).
    • Ban the absolute madness that more children = more child welfare.
    • Create a redistribution program - which pays people to move to different parts of the country, living in specific locations. This would avoid mass gatherings akin to halting sites and encourage people to mix back into Irish society.
    • Ban recreational Traveller fights, subject to fines and imprisonment.
    • Anyone who violates any of the rules above and seeks to recreate the conditions of a halting site are jailed for a minimum of 10 years.
    • Remove the status that the Travelling Community are the equivalent of a racial minority and must be protected accordingly. Instead, the State will view everyone in Irish society as equal to each other under the law.
    • Introduce schemes that encourage higher education for these young people, caught in the social trap laid by their irresponsible and reckless parents.

If something akin to the above were resolutely followed through, it would at least go some way toward ending the existing problems and normalising people within that community to the rest of society.

It may not solve the problem overnight, but you'd certainly see progress in 10 or 20-years' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Second worse call they can get, the first being to a house party of drunk roided up eastern Europeans, as a mate told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

And as usual not one challenging question put to her about why a working man might be in fear of his life entering that site. The world is fucked as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Your sarcasm monitor is broken. You might get a new one on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd argue that she really isn't a public representative in the true sense, but that's another debate.

But I do wonder if the Taxi driver had dropped her to her door and something did happen to him would she have brought it to national attention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Shes an unelected political appointment of Michael Martin. Why was she appointed by him, probably so the lefty media could fawn over his inspirational appointment of a traveller to the seanad.

Would she get elected to the Dail if she ran for a seat. Not a hope in hell.

Will she use her position to effect change for the good in her community? Not a hope in hell. Like the equally useless Pavee Point she'll be first out of the blocks to whinge when travellers are "discriminated against" but will be nowhere to be found every single time they get up to their usual tricks (see abusing animals to the point they have to be put down, murdering their cousins in a graveyard at a funeral, causing carnage in Rathkeale every Christmas, refusing social housing because it didn't come with in built stables (for the horses they couldn't care less about), illegal dumping outside their halting sites, and so on).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I was very disappointed with Andrea Gilligan on Newstalk lunchtime

Not one hard question for Eileen

Still I suppose I shouldn't expect journalists to ask any hard questions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

She's not a journalist. Mouth-piece is the best description for her. Notice how she squirms on the radio when anyone talks negatively about RTE

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don’t blame journalists/broadcasters at times. Serious rush to slate and criticise and cancel has left a lot a “yes sir no sir” in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Read that. Absolute sickening the effect that scum assault had on those two men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,828 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RTE are a total disgrace. I detest that organisation. Hope it is shut down soon as I hate to think that my taxes prop it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

when have you ever heard any radio or television presenters ask anything but softball questions when they have a traveller in studio as a guest?

travellers are a key sacred cow of Irish media

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its hard to know which is worse here, Flynn and her bullsh1t story or Doherty and the other unelected fools agreeing with her.

Hope the driver got paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Reason #423 not to pay your TV licence.

At least ask her to explain what the previous incidents were.

Maybe talk to other Taxi drivers, takeaway delivery drivers or the Gardí.

No scrap all that, just sit there and nod along, she really earned her €183,662 salary there.

Best just get the boot into a scared taxi driver.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

downtheroad threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Be right back

To be honest, looking at the street view, I don't blame the taxi driver for not going in. Has Eileen asked herself why wouldn't he go in? Next time, get a lift off the google street view people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Eileen Flynn could have used the position she was awarded to try to help traveller women and their children to fight against the huge levels of all types of abuse they suffer at the hands of traveller men. The neglect and the misery is scandalous.

But she chose not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Sems like she has taken matters into her own hands and acquired a car

• Advertisement

Eileen clearly has no ambition to do any of that.

She could have been a force for positive change, but has thrown that opportunity away.

Now it's all about hoovering up a generous salary whilst soapboxing about fake victimhood in her spare time.

What a waste of a Seanad position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

Senator Eileen Flynn should be asking herself what can she do to make her halting site a more welcoming place that would be perceived to be safe for taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

As subservient as those who saw the Church as all powerful back in the 30s, 40s and 50s and go back a further 100 years, our history books will be all about those noble who stood up against the forces of the Crown. All a bit silent about those who were happy to profit under the then system in Ireland. In those eras, although a hundred years apart, anybody drifting from the system would have been 'cancelled'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Kind of thing that wins favour with the Irish times and has often been said, “ Michael Martin is the first FF leader who cares what the Irish Times thinks of him “

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I always wanted to do the walk of shame from a halting site, that's got to be a unique experience, too late for me now though, it wasn't very high on the bucket list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Imagine writing that piece and looking in the mirror

intellectual dishonesty comes at a price

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

Its kinda telling that no one who has Interviewed Eileen has asked her a straight forward question as to why she thinks this taxi driver was concerned for his personal safety to the point that he would not drive into the halting site.

Or lets just call a spade a spade the taxi driver did a risk assessment analysis and decided it would be a risk to drive into the halting site.

Kinda like when travellers get refused service in pubs; we have all prob seen a situation over the years while at the bar some travellers come in asking for drinks the bar person will find a reason or excuse not to serve them with a " locals only " or " this is a private function tonight " or might ask for passport Identification.

Also risk assessment analysis the bar person has accessed the risk of serving them and has decided against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Having looked at the road in google maps street view, I wouldn't drive down it either. With the amount of debris on the road I'd be concerned about getting one or even more punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

When you start believing what a politician (of any persuasion) is telling you, you are going down a dangerous road.

I normally abhor whataboutery but this is one case where I can think of at least a dozen more issues and recent incidents that are many times more important.

Also, the good aul Indo whipping us all (myself included) into a frenzy for clicks. Up next another article about Dermot Bannon, Twink or Louise McSharry.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement