Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Anyway, I think it's the wrong stuff to focus on. What a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Donal getting it right tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Two lads speaking well about the lack of hurling coverage. Great points about the Tailteann as a comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He is.

It's quite obvious the hurling is being used to pull in subscribers to this venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Fair play to Donal og.

Disgraceful what's going on.

• Advertisement

• Was the Cork Tipp match that clean? Not a word on the Sunday Game about anything other than the lack of coverage

Donal put his neck on the block there. Fair play to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Talking about it now, in general, there were 2 incidents I reckon last night.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

We need to push to get a separate highlights programme for hurling along with a hell of a lot more live games on free to air.

We need to get away from sharing football time on the highlights programme.

There used to be a show there in the 00s - promotional show for upcoming games - think it was on a Friday evening. It was very good. Something like that again would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I think this will resolve itself next year or the year after. The provincial football championships will go and we’ll have a hurling only period for Leinster and Munster for 5 weeks and then into the football round robin.

The Sunday game leads with Football. 2 of the worst provincial finals in recent memory (not that I watched them but I heard).

no live hurling games.

The impact of three great games lost forever.

Joke shop.

I scrolled through the head of RTE sport's twitter page there. Not one image of hurling - all football, soccer, rugby, and horse racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Not a fan of his but agreed with every word of his tonight re tv coverage and the head tackles. Brave too, went for RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EdmundShearan

Wow.

Got a live one here, this @Rosita

This original poster does genuinely give a flying f*ck about player welfare, that is why I posted.

Given that the game had finished about 6 hours before I posted it's feckin hilarious that it is assumed "the key motivation is to have someone send off to advantage the other team".

You admit to not seeing the game, therefore not seeing the challenge?

That I might have had serious concerns for Fitzgibbon when I saw what happened, both in real time, and subsequently in numerous repeats would be appreciated and understandable to anyone who cares about the health of the players.

As for this beaut:

"But if you're going to use words like concussion it's no harm to point that there are others who have culpability in respect of players' well-being."

Well of course there are others who have a duty of care to assess players and their fitness to carry on playing, the medics and management have a massive responsibility to any player who has been injured and the decisions they make should reflect this.

Now all of these points that you raised deflect from the fact that the player who fouled Fitzgibbon, did so deliberately, without any **** consideration for the force of the contact it made with his head.

There's reams of study and information out there on the subject of the long term effects of this kind of trauma to the head, I'm sure you know that.

That it needs to be eradicated from the game is bloody obvious.

Hell even Jackie Tyrell, who was no Holy Jo on the pitch, is on board with this.

That you're more interested in questioning the motivation of people who post on the issue, as opposed to genuinely considering the issue itself (the increasing instances of dangerous high velocity, head high contact, that are not duly punished by referees), says more about you mate than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Donal og had a great night.

1. On the lack of promotion of hurling.

2. On head high cheap shots. So cowardly. The easiest thing in the world to do is line up a blind sided person for a hit when you're 15/16st of muscle.

If you are on Facebook, so called 'GAA Craic', Buff's hurling banter, The SG page are full of paper hard men with low IQ. They haven't a clue about what is happening in rugby. They spout bull like hurling is a physical game, those who disagree with them are snowflakes.

Word of advice. If you engage with Rosita you'll be very busy. You'll go around in eternal tangents replying to pedantic nonsense.

Your peace of mind will be destroyed. Avoid like bubonic and pneumonic plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EdmundShearan

Warning has been noted!

Wouldn't worry too much about the dodos on Buff's hurling banter, though I'm guessing tis like descending into hell for a chat in that SG page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Not a hope that discussion on the broadcasting happens with Cantwell or Des Cahill in the presents chair, Jacqui Hurley and Damien Lawlor both a big upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

But I did "consider" it. I didn't comment on the tackles because I didn't see the game. What interests me is why people talk about player welfare out of one side of the mouths but do not call for the immediate removal of concussed players. It's not a revolutionary idea, rugby does it routinely. It will visit hurling very soon too.

It is reasonable to assume then that since the only action people want taken is punitive as distinct from removing and looking after the player that the motivation is nothing actually to do with player welfare. But then why mention player welfare?

Your passive-aggressive "this beaut" style might make you feel clever but does nothing to deal with the allowed continuation of two concussed (apparently - I have to take the poster's word for it as by definition it was not assessed) players. You obviously think that's fine. But I don't think I am being unreasonable in disagreeing. These players should be sitting out the next match as well at the very least if they were concussed. You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Just catching up on the Sunday Game now. Tipp v Cork did indeed looka great game but they showed highlights of 6 mins in total. It was refreshing to hear Donal Og cut loose on the GAA/RTE for the lack of free to air coverage of massive games like Tipp v Cork , Limerick v Clare and Clare v Tipp. Fair play to the man it was a passionate speech and hopefully will be listened to going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You produce some amount of scutter across multiple threads for one poster!

The GAA GO issue getting a full show on Liveline. A lot of angry folk up and down the country venting their spleen. I really hope we won't be missing any big hurling games after this. It is an own goal by the GAA and they need to come out and hold their hands up and rectify it.

Donal og will be mortified that he's making the headlines today him being such a modest chap! He has to be the cluckbait champion of the gaa.he was at it years ago bringing Cork gaa to its knees. Then he was in the headlines for his Stepford Wives jibe at the Kilkenny hurlers. Now he's talking out of both sides of his mouth about tv coverage. He's for gaago but also wants RTE to show more hurling! How would that even work commercially? He also showed his elitist side begrudging Cavan and Westmeath footballers their day in the sun.

Donal Og initially said he understood the need for pay per view but then went on a tirade that recent big Munster games were not free to air. A bit of a contradiction or perhaps not worded right but i wish he clarified what he meant and how he wished the two could work.

So how would his proposal to have gaago and Rte covering the game work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

It was Tyrrell who mentioned the Tailteann cup. Not that it matters - you either think that's a more attractive game than a game between championship a Tipperary team which couldn't win a game last year and perennial championship makeweights Cork or you don't. But the Tailteann Cup is a second tier competition whatever the perceived disrespect in that.

• Advertisement

Well one thing that doesn't need clarification is that he feels the footballers of Westmeath and Cavan shouldn't have had their big day in Croke Park shown when it was.

Advertisement