Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Brighton aren't going to beat each of Newcastle, Man City & Arsenal.

Reverse jinx? 😉

I wouldn't count Brighton out. The scheduling of the games is favourable to them because if they beat Arsenal then Man City can secure the league title at home to Chelsea. Guardiola is then likely to rotate the squad in their final two games. Brighton beat Arsenal at the Emirates in the EFL Cup and dominated them in the reverse league fixture although they lost the game.

Leicester also owe us a beating after the debacle at Anfield in December. They should have destroyed us that night but Faes gifted us a victory with his two OGs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Utd are nowhere near as good as their league position would suggest all season, they've won a lot of games they should'nt have and had plenty of luck along the way.

We've been shite all year aside from 3 or 4 games, the fact we still have an outside chance is amazing.

Really we're looking at rebuilding this team over the next 2/3 years, even if we sort out a new midfield this summer we still have to look at CB, LB, RW next summer due to age, this season have proved you need to have a replacement in place before age catches up to the first choice player, the signs were there with Fabinho and Henderson towards the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Utd have in recent months drawn at home to Soton and Leeds. There is no guarantee they will get max pts from those final 3 home games like some seem certain of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

...yet

If either Newcastle or United slip up next weekend then there'll be pressure on us to capitalise

At the moment I think most of us accept it's unlikely, and it's fun being in the fight after the season we've had. Once it's more realistic the pressure will crank up a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think we might get 3rd.

I can feel it in my waters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

UTD won't win 3 of their remaining 4 to secure the top 4, I see 2 wins, a draw and a potential loss to Chelsea on the cards for them....The problem is, I don't see Liverpool winning their remaining games either 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

You obviously wrote off Drogba too and many more like him that wrote of players in their first seasons. Not every player develops at the same pace. He is struggling yes, but he will come good. Feel free to bookmark this post and rub it in my face if I'm wrong.

I suspect Bellingham will end up at city and then Madrid, same as Haaland.

• Advertisement

And to think he is still widely regarded as a diver by many many football fans....the moronic section of them but they still exist.

There's no pressure on Liverpool. We may have to win all of our remaining games to finish fifth and even then we could slip down to sixth as Brighton could potentially reach 73 points. Liverpool can only try to win their remaining games and see where it leaves us on May 28th.

Newcastle need only two wins from their remaining fixtures to reach 71 points. On our current performances we are not overhauling their goal difference.

If there's pressure anywhere it's on Man Utd. They need three wins to ensure they finish above us.

The pressure is'nt that great on us, this team(mostly) has won everything there is to win in the game over the last 5 years, league, european cup you name it.

Three wins in league games to finish in the top 4 is no huge pressure for them. It's different for utd, newcastle, and brighton, none of them have won anything of note lately and utd are'nt even champions league regulars anymore.

I don't think us not winning our remaining games will be because we crumbled under the pressure! It will be more to do with the fact we have just not been playing well and have grinded out results, Leeds game aside with with grinded out 5 wins in the last 6. It's very hard to keep that up and at some stage you have to put in an actual 90 minute performance... I think it will be Leicester game that will scupper us for that very reason.

If we can't beat Liecester or Southampton we don't deserve it, you could argue we don't deserve it as things stand. I think it will be Villa we'll lose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

The Leeds game was Monday night less than 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whatever about the OP banging on about it incessantly, I admire your faith and am not sure what underpins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I hope your right,I really am but I just can't see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For me at least, from what he did last season I have a reasonable amount of faith that there's a lot more to come from him. We've simply just seen him put away a lot more of his chances in the past, and be quite a deadly goalscorer.

Sometimes players come as high scorers from poorer leagues and struggle to get those same sorts of chances in a harder league - he demonstrably doesn't have that problem. His running and positioning is great, and he does a lot of the right stuff to get on the end of - or create - big opportunities, so it really is just about rediscovering the finishing touch that we've seen be so good ourselves before. All that coupled with it being his first season for us in a new league with a new language, and it being an absolute ****-show of a year, and I think he'll give more as time goes on. Not saying he'll ever justify the fee, but I think he'll be (and for me already is) a player we're happy to have in the squad getting regular time. A lot of my favourite bits of this season have been Darwin-centric, just such an entertaining fella to watch, putting it all in. (Loving Gakpo too incidentally, think he was a brilliant buy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I honestly am not happy with him as a squad player right now (recognising he's gotten worse in the last two months or so).

I'd feel more optimistic about the pedigree if there was more than just last season to go on.

He'll obviously be here next season though so let's hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

So utd need to win 3 of their games,that sounds quite promising for us but at the same time even though our remaining games seem very winnable can we be trusted to get the job done,I agree leicester will be very tough as they always give us a hard game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely been a drop off since his injury alright.

For a first season though, I'm ok with a goal every ~180 minutes in the league (160 in all comps). It's been a shaky start, but still hitting decent numbers despite all that, and for most of the season brought such massive intensity that was basically the only bit of a problem we were causing teams.

I think he's a fella who does better in more settled situations. He continuously improved at the beginning as we stuck with the same plan. He's looked a bit more unsure of things since we got everyone back and have been shuffling around the personnel a lot. A decent proper pre-season - which it sounds like Klopps priority for this year after last years mess up - will do him the world of good too I think.

It's all the chances he is having. He is doing alot of the right things, making good runs and getting into good positions etc. He just needs his finishing to click and he will be a real asset. We have all seen it so many times before where a player like him comes in from a different country and struggles in his first season only to thrive in his second and so on. It just happens so often I don't see anything to suggest it won't be the case with Darwin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The one thing that I've liked about Nunez from day one is is belief in himself. With the exception of the last day (when I think his confidence looked a bit shot) he plays with the belief that it will come good. The head isn't down, he continues to work hard etc.

Teams are terrified of him and he is getting goal chances, plenty of them. He just has to start taking them.

Next year he'll be better settled - as will the team hopefully with a couple new mf's - and his English will have improved. He's got a pretty good buddy in Diaz and the match-going fans are 100% behind him. I'm sure the coaching side of it will focus on his decision making/composure/finishing.

He's still quite young.

To write him off now is nonsensical. 14 goals/4 assists in 40 appearances and he's being written off.

*I'd be having a chat with Rice as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ornstein has a little bit of info around MacAllister having a release clause this morning, but it sounds funny to me.

"Despite signing a new contract in October that secured him until 2025, there is a good chance the midfielder will be sold and there has been lots of debate about whether or not the deal includes a release clause.

It is understood the terms do, indeed, contain a mechanism which can by used to help facilitate a move and that has contributed to the level of interest building to prise Mac Allister from Brighton.

This is thought not to be a typical release clause other clubs may simply trigger, leaving the player to choose their next step, but a more complex feature that gives Brighton a say over the outcome.

Is it just me or do you not buy the whole 'more complex' aspect and it is just a regular release clause, with Brighton trying to put on a front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Call me simple but I have no idea what any of this means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If by some miracle we could pip Man Utd to the CL spots and make a couple of quality additions to the team over the summer, we could end up looking back on this season with a certain fondness

Mad to even be considering this with the absolute shambles that's onfolded over the majority of the campaign.

That's the game for me, if we beat Leicester we will win the remainder and get forth. However I cant see it happening, a plucky 1-0 relegation survivor result is what I see for Leicester. UTD won't win 3 out of their remaining 4, I think they are playing worse than what we were at in January/Feb!

Brighton/his agent have basically admitted that MacAllister has a release clause.

Leicester have 6 points from their last available 36, we should be able to beat them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Not sure why we are not at least asking about Rice. He looks like a world class player and exactly the type of player we need.

There was a moment in that game which really stood out for me. Utd were on the counter attack with Anthony (I think!) making a run into space. Instead of following the runner (Anthony), Rice just held us own run and cut off the passing channel.

He also has incredible composure under pressure. Can pick out a pass when being pressed by all angles from the opposition. He would fit us like a glove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I saw a stat on Reddit that we have a 27% chance of making the top 4. After the absolute **** show of a season to be in with slightly more than a 1 in 4 shot of making the champions league is insane and really says more about the quality of the other teams than us. But still i'll take those odds given the season we've had any day.

There's a chance although most likely end up 5th. Lets just hope the club learns from this season and is a bit more forward planning in relation to the squad and aging out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

The thing that kinda annoys me about Klopp is that he will not change his tactics for this game and still go full on attack with little regard for defence.

Teams fighting relegation have to attack and try score, so leaving them ripe to be caught on the counter attack, even more so as the game goes on! I’d put Gomez at RB in a 4 man defence and leave TAA in midfield. The gaps with just the three covering it are just too big and have been targeted a lot this season.

Yep, he's really won me over. Definition of a Rolls-Royce player, can do a bit of everything. Watching him last night what impressed me the most was how comfortable he looked in possession, he was the furthest man forward dribbling through defenders in the box at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Leicester are our bogey team and fighting for their premier ships lives. Wouldn't be at all upset if they went down alongside Everton

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

That Leicester game last Christmas still haunts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Man, how did you fail to use the term Rolls-Rice!

• Advertisement

When I read it, I thought it was a puff piece by Ornstein as it doesn't really add anything to the picture. My interpretation of what was written is that Mac Allister is free to talk to clubs under certain conditions but Brighton are not obligated to accept any offers, i.e. both parties have to be in agreement as opposed to a situation where the agent says "Here's an offer of £70M, my client is out of here". This gives Brighton an element of control because they can get their replacement lined up before they commit to the deal.

All of the chatter about Mac Allister to Liverpool has originated with journalists in Argentina, his father Carlos always seems happy to keep them informed. The reliable sources in England have said that there has been contact between the club and representatives of the player but there has been no approach to Brighton.

The Brighton chairman, Tony Bloom, was quoted 3 days ago as saying that it will take an offer in excess of £70M for them to let Mac Allister go. Yesterday, there was a story in the UK media which had Liverpool being prepared to pay £57.6M to complete the deal. That's a significant difference in valuations of the player.

He has turned down approaches in the past because he didn't want to leave London. It was always believed that he would one day return to Chelsea, but now it looks like Arsenal could be his destination this summer if they are prepared to pay £100M+.

This bodes well for the future. We might need to prioritize signing a proper right back in the summer.

My biggest disappointment with Nunez this season has been his physicality, he plays like he doesn't know how big he is, he needs to become far more of a bully. Even if he's not seeing the ball much he should be making himself a handful for defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

He got a match ban for headbutting someone so I guess he trying to be on his best behaviour.

Leicester play tonight, ideally they win, as it eases their burden, a win for Leicester tonight, and a loss for Everton and Forest tonight is perfect, Everton away to Brighton, ideally a draw to hit Brighton chance of CL football would be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think he is talking about Christmas 2021 where Liverpool battered Leicester, Salah missed a penalty and Leicester win 1-0

We need Brighton to have to beat Newcastle, so ideally they win tonight to keep their European hopes alive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement