Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eileen Flynn halting site taxi issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Id love to see all the idiots that stood up and supported her that day go for a walk take turns and go for a drive or a walk in that place tonight alone, without an entourage and cameras and security guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭cal naughton

Did this event even take place!

Surprised we haven't heard from the taxi driver at this stage. I thought they would defend themselves on Liveline or somewhere .

Any statements issued by the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This is "social justice", the outcome is all that matters, not the cause. TheJournal were running a series not so long about about the disproportionate amount of Travellers in prison. At a glance you'd assume they were highlighting their crime rates, but no, the whole series was about how this was proof of discrimination. You're essentially meant to abandon reason, and convince yourself that the poor little Travellers are thrown into prison just because they are a minority group and not because they've committed crimes that would get any of us locked up.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

That taxi driver should keep his head down.

He has nothing to gain by going to the media, the poor man will be slaughtered and probably sued for discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Discrimination is the perfect card to smokescreen all the crime committed by travellers.

Nobody cares who anyone is but if you suffer at the hands of Traveller crime you are not going to like them and unfortunately tens of thousands of people have suffered traveller crime particulary in rural areas where theres no guards to protect the non traveller community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She got a mention on The Week in Politics yesterday with everyone agreeing it was a terrible thing to happen to her.

No surprise RTE would want to paint the taxi driver as the bad guy, God I despise that broadcaster and those who work in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Heard her on Newstalk moaning that she can never get anywhere due to being a member of the traveller brigade.

Well she wasn’t even elected to the senate, “nominated” by Martin ONLY because she is a traveller. Some democracy we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Lightweight “journalist” More interest in talking about the do’s and don’ts of going to Coppers and similar rubbish all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Remember that chance we had to get rid of that undemocratic part of our political system?

There would be at least a dozen doses that I can think of that we’d be hearing very little from now if that referendum had gone the other way.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SinSceilEile

There was unanimous support and sympathy for Senator Flynn on The Late Debate on RTE Radio One night also from the panel (which was made up of journalists and TDs from different parties).

Casey's success in the presidential election was cited on the programme as an example of 'how far we still have to go', too.

I wonder how representative the views on here are of Ireland generally. If they are, as I suspect, pretty typical the the politicians and the media are totally out of touch.

It will be difficult to take Senator Flynn seriously after this.

District Health Nurses checking on mothers and newborns have to make special arrangements beforehand to go onto halting sites - they don't do that in even rough housing estates. When the Gardai go in they go in in force, and according to other posters emergency services request Garda backup before entering.

This points to a clear problem with violence and intimidation on sites from the Travelling community. Calling it racism is a fantasy which solves nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Be right back

That whole article shows the madness of modern activists. They honestly want people to take their deeply biased work which they've paid for and done themselves, as objective reality, even though it's a self reporting study which is miles away from being objective. It's literally a study on "feelings".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

stock n trade progressive talking points ( soundbites) , not a whiff of an original thought visible

chat GPT is working daily ( or might as well be )

Did she actually refuse to pay? Despite him driving her most of the way - how does that work?

If she wanted it reduced, that would make sense, but what's this all or nothing nonsense about? It's so entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

The media wont be interested in anything he has to say anyway unless its apublic hanging they are in it for. No negative opinions are allowed when it comes to certain sections of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I heard that too and it was very striking. You'd think that after a few days reflection, that at least one or two voices might be heard putting themselves in the taxi drivers shoes? A bunch of self serving cowards.

But no, Ms.Flynn was being heaped with sympathy. And no mention much that I've heard of the shocking case of the traveller girl that suffered multiple rapes by members of her extended family inc her grandad. A story that broke the same day as Ms.Flynn's trifling problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

At the risk of going off-piste, this thread brought to mind John Connors (not the Terminator one) - remember him? He was like the media's patron saint of long-suffering travellerdom. John was everywhere, you couldn't turn on a TV or radio or open a newspaper, but John would be there, holding forth on every subject under the sun. He was being hailed as a cross between Marlon Brando and Nelson Mandela. He was literally a media darling, a man who could do no wrong.

Then, he threw it all away. He made the ultimate mistake of forgetting his place on the hierarchy of equality. He criticised Roderic O'Gorman for being photographed beside Peter Tatchell, and accused Tatchell of being a paedophile apologist.

Overnight, John was disappeared from the Irish media. He appeared in 14 movies of various hues up to that day, but hasn't appeared in one since. He went from being a permanent fixture on Television and radio, to being a persona non grata. John broke the progressive omerta, and has paid the price.

One hopes for Eileen's sake that she is smarter, and keeps her true opinions to herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

As far as I understand the originally stated destination was Ballyfermot. The taxi driver should have dropped her off where she originally asked to be driven to.

If I was a taxi driver and was being redirected away from the originally stated destination in a mostly residential area to a debris strewn cul de sac in a largely industrial area over 1.5km away I'd be exercising due caution too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SinSceilEile

John Connors said in an interview some time ago that he was moving to England to get acting gigs as people were 'discriminating against him at casting calls' because he was a Traveller, or only offering him roles where the character was a Traveller.

He did himself no favours criticising Thatchell for sure. There is a set position on issues like this in most of the Irish media. You see it on decrimialisation of drugs too, and increasingly that's moving to all drugs on chats on RTE for example, not just cannabis.

I have a friend who's an actor in Dublin and who has several gay people in his social set so has no problems on LGBTGQ issues. However he said that even if it was suspected he hadn't enthusiastically supported gay marriage rights in the referendum - which he had - he'd never get another acting job here, which makes him uneasy.

Crime is another topic where there seems to be unanimity in most of the media: a recent discussion on treating crime by over-18s far more leniently on RTE Radio One saw everyone, including the unbiased presenter, agreeing this was very much needed for people up to the age of 23.

No dissenting voices heard, which worries me. I'd worry even if I agreed with the issue. Dissent is important to democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The far right are seen as toxic and being associated with them by giving the speech he did effectively ended his acting career. The distain that most ordinary people have for the far right scum out there in the country is hard to put into words so it was career suicide to do what he did. Fair play to him for his apology afterward and he has distanced himself from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The “ far right “

otherwise known as mainstream FG position on most things ten years ago

Why do you keep speaking for the masses? You do it all the time. It's the most ignorant thing you can do, as you've no idea what most people in Ireland think. While I doubt most of the nation are "far right" supporters, I'd be shocked if they all shared your views, as I've literally never meet a person like you in the real world, and I've lived in many different counties, and spent time with many different demographics.

And the arts aren't full of "normal people", they are full of a very specific type of person, who nearly all hold very similar views. It's one of the main reasons why the arts are so poor, because it just like minded people promoting like minded people, with ironically, no real diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She’s due on the tonight show Tv3 now. Still moaning. Expect a free reign and no challenging debate or questions put to her..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Clip of her speech in The Seanad, wearing jeans and a gaa hoody. She wouldn't wear that on live TV tonight though. Host seems very sympathetic here. Hasn't picked up on the senators comment that takeaways refuse to deliver to halting sites all around the country.

At least we have someone on here talking some sense: Ian O’Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Tell ya what Lorcan, you drop her home to the halting site tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Dunno, seems to have grown half a testicle, but that's about it - Possibly afraid of being cancelled

Who is this host?

A Claire Byrne clone in personalty and looks

• Advertisement

Traveller homes were burnt by travellers ffs.

This is hilarious stuff, is she on a wind up

Advertisement