Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They chickened out of it because of the cost and there lack of an Imagination.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

We kind of got that a little bit with Chief O'Brien and his family but more on a space station than a starship.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ms

Ye I take it will be a straight to streaming or T.V movie and not an actual big budget movie you can see in the cinema which is OK with me as I will more than likely not watch it anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, hopefully it's a once off thing and then they move on from the 32nd century and Discovery nonsense. Straight to streaming film rather than a series is the best compromise I suppose.

Hopefully the Academy show quietly vanishes into production hell and we can move forward a bit more along the vein of Picard season 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ide be aiming a lot higher than Picard season 3. Once the memberberries are stripped out it's actually no better than Discovery.

Speaking of movies all the Picard seasons should have been movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'd agree that Picard seasons could be made into movies. Especially the current season. There's a lot less silly & pointless filler, like in Season 2 (remember that time-wasting FBI story mid-season?) but I there is a lot of fat that could have been trimmed away to make it into a 3/2-hour story. All of the Riffi stuff could have been binned since it seemed superfluous and if the intention of her scenes was to introduce Worf as her Intelligance partner...they could have just done that another way in minutes. Beyond her being Seven's ex, she's got very little reason to be there, and if you could edit her out I don't think it would matter too much to the plot.

I'd concure *a bit* that without the TNG references this would appear somewhat Discovery-ish. However I do get the sense of a crew that this working together as a team to solve a problem, which was always at the heart of a good Trek story. Discovery ditched that to make Burnham use plot-magic to single-handedly save the galaxy every other week. As long as the remember the "teamwork" bit and forget about the "magic heroine" approach, it could still be good without TNG cast near it. This current batch of Picard, and SNW gives me some hope that this is still within their abilites.

Very much, this is ensemble with Picard as the core.

Discovery had Burnham just be everything, everywhere, all at once... She'll end up the hero in Yeoh's film too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Finale coming up.

Feeling a bit hyped in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For a Star Trek related trip down memory lane on Monday morning ITV4 will be showing Minder episode Aces high and sometimes very low... with an early appearance from Marina Sirtis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Are they really thinking of rebooting voyager? What form?

Dreadful idea

I watch the odd episode of voyager. It has good episodes but overall the characters are boring bar about 2.

Perhaps 3

Plus they had two good ideas - a mixed crew of maquis and star fleet plus lost in space.

The execution of both were terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

@Bobtheman Are they really thinking of rebooting voyager? What form?

Speaking of story, the Star Trek: Voyager revival will clearly need a very different premise than that of the original. To base the new series on the older heroes getting lost a second time in the Delta Quadrant or anywhere else would simply be laughable.

Think I linked that post in thread earlier in the month?

Just talks and nothing has been confirmed as of yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I could see a lot of sense in a Janeway series. They always wanted to tie up the loose ends from Voyager, and didn't get to do so within the limits of it. The reception for season 3 of Picard makes it a much easier sell too, plus Mulgrew is already back into Trek via Prodigy. But the success of Picard season 3 also means it'll be template that any continuation would be forced into.

And it's not like Avery Brooks will return. He's some kind of blend of eccentric hermit/asshole now.

If it's the Matalas quotes you are talking about it sounds more like Legacy will have episodes based on following up on DS9 and Voyager stories.

It makes sense with the TNG cow now milked dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They'd want to be careful that a Janeway show doesn't step on the toes of Prodigy. They've done a great job with their first season.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I dont think its fair to Call Avery Brooks an asshole. He is just retired. Somebody claimed he was blacklisted -no pun intended but I have heard no direct confirmation of that.

He did seem high as a kite on that series-the Captains,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I like Prodigy a lot but it exists in an alternate universe/timeline in my mind. Just too many inconsistencies with the live action canon for my head canon to resolve.

Cartoons just do things differently and in a way that's hard to join up with the live action.

For instance I refuse to believe any starship has people sleeping in corridors.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

He definitely has a poor reputation, known for being difficult to work with, with a bad temper. It was Cirroc Lofton who described him as being blacklisted, but it seems to be less of a political McCarthyist style blacklist, and more a case that no-one will work with him. He's shown other odd behaviour, but it's hard to tell if he's being an asshole or just really odd, like insisting his castmates address him as Mr Brooks only.

But in the case of the Captains, the behind scenes reports claim that Shatner was being obnoxious to him, so he was winding up Shatner with his responses.

Ms

It's a pity about Avery alright. I would have loved to see him have a successful career after Star Trek but I guess it was not to be. I would love all Star Trek actors to have long and successful careers after their Star Trek shows.

Would love to see Benjamin Sisko come back somehow but I guess it is never going to happen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Tour the Enterprises

The new free web portal includes many iterations of bridges for ships named Enterprise across Star Trek history. You can tour the different ships via a timeline, and expand into each bridge for a 360-degree tour. In some cases, bridge details include working turbo lifts and consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Further to the above; the same rendering company also did this little 2 minute short, which were it the actual epilogue of Generations, might have saved it from completely ignominy.

Star Trek Bloopers Rare Gag Reel HD

Ms

I just came up with a great idea. I was just watching the end of Star Trek Veyobd tgere and believe it or not It has been 7 years yes that is right 7 years since the last Star Trek Film :(.

So my idea is they continue on from there but that what's her name your one from the planet in "Beyond" is at least a commander now or maybe even a Captain and base it with her crew but have the Enterprise involved somehow too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I miss the semi awkward social interactions of old Trek. In nu-Trek the characters are too snazzy, sassy and sarcy. In Picard for example, none of the characters, for example, Worf, feel like their old selves where there was that level of formality, high minded idealism and ultimately awkwardness. Marina Sirtis was effectively playing herself rather than Troi. Picard would have been better if we had the old crew back for 3 seasons rather than one short mission as well. The uniforms also looked too cool e.g. leather biker jackets. I would have preferred Picard et al to be wearing standard issue Starfleet uniforms. Hell, they should bring back the spandex catsuits.

They were basically all too old or fat for the uniforms. They still could have found something better than those stupid jackets though.

I agree about the sassy thing. Even SNW which I mostly like gets really annoying because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bring back the manskirts, I say.

As to the style of dialogue, I dunno. As long as characters behave broadly in keeping with their known personalities, I don't see a harm in updating the dialogue style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yes, we should have no character growth whatsoever and nothing should ever change. A character who was somewhat socially awkward and who was played quite a lot for laughs ("Prune juice! A warrior's drink!") should still be socially awkward around his friends and comrades, three decades later, despite having been an officer, a diplomat, an ambassador and a spy.

• Advertisement

This is the fundamental problem with a lot of these "legacy sequels", right there. The worse kind of nostalgia dictates that one's favourite characters must stay locked in amber, having never changed across the years. Perhaps exemplified lately by Han Solo in Force Awakens: it was set 30, 40 years in the future yet Solo was still playing Smuggler, after all this time and being a General during the Revolution? The script bent over backwards to justify it... oh he was soooo distressed by his son going to the dark side, Han went back to old ways? A limp excuse so the toybox could be the same.

That said, the Picard show really got that wrong at the start: I did defend Picard's differences in Season 1 at the start; of a man lamenting losses and time passing. But as the show went on this seemed less like a character arc and just a brazen ignorance of the titular character.

Advertisement