Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An end to free parking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I wouldn't bother with the parking at work nonsense. The higher-ups will be looked after either way and won't be any disincentive.

I would go about it another way. Roads all over the place are clogged up with parked days, effectively turning many two-lane roads into at best a single lane. Think of how many times you need to wait for cars coming the other way to go around a parked car.

So make all unpaid all street parking illegal. If you haven't the space to park in your driveway then you shouldn't have a car. You have nowhere to keep it. That would get rid of most second, certainly third, cars from most families.

Police it the same as we do with clampers. The state should employ (no need for private firms) loads more traffic wardens to catch offenders. They would pay for themselves. As one area gets dealt with, move the warden to a different area. No need for any confrontation, simply take a pic of the car parked on the road and issue a fine in the post. Fine gets added to your motor tax bill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you wouldn't be impacting families though; i saw an article about a new(ish) estate in santry - i think of three bed houses, with driveway space for one car. landlords are letting them out typically with three young professionals in each house, and it meant the estate was clogged with excess cars, so they brought the clampers in, and obviously consternation ensued.

the problem is society has let this happen for decades, and it's not something you can do with a simple law, to make the problem go away,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Christ almighty. Lucky most don’t think this way. Yer all fcuking nuts.

Why? Why should cars be given public space for free? In what other area do we let people simply dump their belongings in a public space and expect everyone to simply make way for it? If you can't afford a parking space don't buy a car. It's not really that crazy.

You are asking other people do put up with delays just for another persons convenience. In the estate around me, each road has two lanes but effectively it is reduced to one lane due to all the parked cars. Annoys me that I constantly have to stop and wait for other traffic because me lane has been blocked by someone who has parked their car in the road.

Transfer the cost of that to the real owner, the car owner, and the real cost of owning a vehicle becomes clearer.

But then landlords would find it harder to rent out the houses to 3 young professionals. One person would pay extra for the car parking space, the other two would need pay for their own parking somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Everyone pays taxes and everyone has rights to use the roads. The roads/streets were built to the standard they currently are because of advances in automobile technology and the need to have streets to accommodate them. The vast sums of money contributed by motorists in a myriad of forms contribute to these roads and streets being in the condition they are. Motorists literally subsidise all other street users. So no. It’s not free storage of your car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes - obviously in the massive overflow carparks we have on the outskirts of estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Does that include Cyclists who pay plenty of income and VAT taxes yet have (almost) no cycle infrastructure?

At current property prices, especially in Dublin, the cost of providing thousands of sq. meters of land to park private vehicles I would love to see the figures you used to come to the conclusion as to how the use of free land is covered by motor taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Motor tax isn't reserved for road projects. General tax pot pays for roads. So everyone pays for it regardless if they use the roads are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Land within estates is bought and laid for by house owners when they buy there houses. They ( through there builders) would have paid a development levy and the roadways would be fully paid for originally by them

Slava Ukrainii

Benches are provided as an amenity. Roads are built to allow traffic to proceed, they are not meant as defacto car parks. So we spend loads of money building roads only for people to use them as their private parking facility.

The reason why people are against such an idea as they know that it would massively increase the cost of car ownership. Either directly by way of money or time in terms of having to park somewhere less convenient. But therein lies the truth. Everybody ends up paying for others convenience.

If you don't have the space to look after the car yourself then the state shouldn't be expected to provide it for you.

Have you got a source on that?

Home owners own the footprint of the land their house was built on so how do they own the common areas of an estate also?

Benches are talking spaces from paths and parks. Its free parking for people. Same with Bicycle parking everywhere.

If the only place to park is your driveway not much having a car.

You can apply the same dumb logic to standing on a path.

Depends on the estate. Some are privately (very few I reckon) managed most aren't.

It would be true that in some estates residents pay for the maintenance of the common areas but definitely do not own said lands..

I know of at least one. I assume its not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It would depend on the legal structure of the estate. If it is a multi unit development / managed estate, the owners' management company would own the common areas, with each property owner being a member of the owners' management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s a privilege taken at the expense of others. It’s time to stop prioritising the needs of those who insist on commuting in a living room on wheels, while wondering where as the road space has gone.

Can we all use the road space for storing our wardrobes and our jacuzzis so?

• Advertisement

Where are these benches that you’re banging on about?

You are getting close on car ownership though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭djan

Classic case government trying to make it seem like it's doing something about congestion etc. when the real solution is to improve public transport to a level where people will naturally favour it.

My commute is around 15km each way and driving is cheaper and shorter by a substantial amount. For a modern city with apparently planned infrastructure that is ridiculous. The lack of metro and bus routes that circle around the city in layers rather than the in/out system towards the centre are the key issues IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Why not put it to the people and let them vote on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I never said they owned it I said they paid for it and for the development of it so they could use it. The LA then take it over and maintain it, but there is virtually little maintenance. A lot of maintenance is carried out by local active committees ( grass cutting, planting etc)

The LA charge a development levy paid by the house owners through the developer just like the roads and other services.

Slava Ukrainii

You can't fix congestion with more cars. Which ultimately is your argument.

If you've never made use of public transport by now, then nothing other than punitive measure will force you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭djan

You've completely missed the point here. It most definitely is not the argument made. I'd argue that the slight increase to congestion has been due to the changes in road layouts leading to less vehicle capacity in order to accommodate cycle and bus lanes.

Having said that, Dublin has a tiny city centre with not exactly fantastic road infrastructure/layouts and yet even a short commute is still cheaper and shorter by car.

Public transport needs to improve substantially in order for firstly people to move to it willingly and secondly, to handle this increased capacity. You can't ban traffic and expect the current system that doesn't provide enough capacity in key areas to take the extra load on.

Car owners could use it alright, though may be expected to pay a service charge from the landowner for usage of the land to store personal property too...

"Having said that, Dublin has a tiny city centre with not exactly fantastic road infrastructure/layouts and yet even a short commute is still cheaper and shorter by car."

You sure about that? Pretty certain on a busy weekday morning I could make it from Rathgar to Grand Canal dock much quicker than a motorcar, plus it costs me nothing...

you can store whatever you like in front of your house as far as I’m concerned. I won’t be interfering with you. But I don’t think jacuzzis and wardrobes will be too common.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Classic case government trying to make it seem like it's doing something about congestion etc. when the real solution is to improve public transport to a level where people will naturally favour it.

After decades of our planning system pandering towards car dependency, it is difficult to bring about change. It cannot be brought in overnight but it is being brought in.

My commute is around 15km each way and driving is cheaper and shorter by a substantial amount. For a modern city with apparently planned infrastructure that is ridiculous. The lack of metro and bus routes that circle around the city in layers rather than the in/out system towards the centre are the key issues IMO

My commute is 13km each way and onm average takes the same time as travelling by car and this is on the outskirts of the Dublin. Nonetheless, I've no idea where your commute is but to say that it is cheaper (presumably than PT) may not be entirely accurate as you are not factoring in the cost of the car, insurance, motor tax, depreciation, repairs and maintenance, etc. before you look at the cost of fuel.

As for your comment about a "modern city with apparently planned infrastructure", who said that our infrastructure was planned for anyone except those driving? Any attempt to improve the infrastructure for anyone outside of a car is met with fierce opposition. Look at BusConnects. Jesus, even look at any of the plans to build a cycle lane somewhere and the feckin idiots suddenly appear out of the woodwork making all sorts of stupid allegations about the damage it would do.

Metro is simply a "look over there" diversionary tactic. To have any kind of reasonable network would cost tens, if not hundreds, of billions and will take a couple of decades to get through the planning system, never mind the time it would take to build it.

Lastly, your claim about the lack of orbital routes is not correct. There have been quite a few introduced in recent years as part of BusConnects and more are being added. This is in conjunction with 24hour bus routes. I'm in Leixlip and now have the ability to travel east into the city centre or in north or south on routes that are relatively frequent. Similar options are in place or in the pipeline around the city. However, the biggest problem with taking a bus is the inevitable delays due to the volume of people who make the choice to drive their car - where those delays aren't present, the bus moves quite quickly.

Advertisement