Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah it looks like the RB is so comprehensively faster than any of the other cars I would imagine most races will be 1-2s for them. It’s very much like Mercedes a couple of years ago except Checo looks like he’ll be more consistent than Bottas was.

Horner keeps talking about other teams upgrading but it’s really difficult to see any other team essentially finding the 1 second a lap they’ll need to match the current RB, but likely they’d need more than that presuming RBs upgrades work as expected.

McLaren are a mess. I know they have plenty of new things coming down the line like the new wind tunnel but they seem like they really don’t understand their car at all. I would imagine Norris will be keeping an eye on seats opening up elsewhere.

Mercedes and Ferrari are in similar boats, flashes of pace followed by disappointment.

Hopefully someone gets their act together or it could be another long stretch of 1 driver winning the championship with several races to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

McLaren really are a shambles.

I know Brown came in and put the business on the straight and narrow from a point where they had no sponsors and running out of cash but they have effectively sold off anything of value within the business and loaded themselves up with debt. I can't see that being a strong position for them in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

I must say that Alex Albon has been doing well for Williams quietly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, McLaren have already ditched James Key and they're pretty much stuck with what he designed this year. I had said earlier that Ian James, the Formula E team principal who they inherited from back to back drivers and constructors FE champions, Mercedes-Benz should have been given the F1 job after Andreas Sidil left for Sauber, but given one of those drivers champions is Nick De Vrys, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Another fairly processional race. A lot of these circuits dont seem to have overtake opportunities outside of DRS. If I hear the term DRS train one more time. I think they have to start limiting DRS to specific windows during the race, every 10 laps for 2/3 laps maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

I was kind of wondering if the FIA's decision to front load the season with Street Circuits as hampered everything.

4 out of the first five races are essentially street circuits and I could not see any teams bringing real updates to these tracks cause if you test the limits in any way the run off is a wall. So given how Good The Redbull is and fair play to them its an awesome machine but they have not been tested at all and really gifted the First 5 races once everyone could see the quailtiy of the car. Still think they would be ahead as Max would need the car a lot poorer before finding his limits and been tested.

So with Imola next for any big updates some might improve , if Mercedes do a 2022 Aston on it and swap the car , given it took Aston about 3-4 races last year to progress ( bringing it to Monaco didn't help ) might be some time before anyone makes in roads on Redbull .

(And Monaco is Race 7 so 5 out of the first 7 races ... Street Circuits)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is it time for DRS to be banned. I certainly think so. It should either be binned this year from after the Summer break or banned from next year. They need to make F1 more exciting. We just had another dull race and DRS does not make it any more exciting g in fact it takes from it because it makes it far to easy for someone in a faster car like Max to overtake everyone else abd they have no way of defending from it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If they didn’t have DRS trains and overtakes, we'd just have regular trains and very few overtakes at all. The only cars who would be able to overtake would be fast cars out of position like max was last night. No midfield battles would be possible because they're to close on pace. I wouldn't interfere too much. The DRS is a gimmick that works very well at solving the big problem but creates a smaller problem.

Ms

How about making the space for DRS less for the faster cars so like Red Bull? So they would only get half the DRS advantage that the slower cars get.

So the Red Bull would have a smaller slot gap when there DRS is open but have more drag than the slower cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

There are probably ways to fiddle about with DRS rules. But it's really unlikely to go anywhere.

I've no idea how you'd set the rules for what you propose above. But it seems to work in principle with wind tunnel time.

It's a good gimmick and should stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I thought DRS was just about perfect at Miami, it got cars close enough to overtake in braking zones which is exactly what it’s designed to do. Almost nobody flew by on the straight, other than one or two out of position cars with big tyre offsets after switching to mediums late on.

It should be hard but not impossible to overtake and that’s what we got - back and forth between Leclerc and Kmag all race, a bunch of overtakes amongst Alonso, Sainz, Russell, Gasly, Hamilton, and even a late race overtake for the lead. Thinking about it, every single position in the top ten was decided by an overtake at some point in the race and almost none of them were simple drive-bys.

So there was plenty of good racing and overtaking, but it wasn’t so easy that drivers in fast cars could just automatically make their way through without a fight they way they often have in the past, which is exactly how it should be.

The problem with DRS is that it varies from track to track and they’re forever tweaking it using out of date data and you never know if it’ll be too powerful or too weak in a given race.

All I want is races that need more than 1 tyre stop and allow for more variation in strategy. That will spice things up more than anything.

Ms

but it wasn’t so easy that drivers in fast cars could just automatically make their way through without a fight they way they often have in the past, which is exactly how it should be.

Funny I seen Max fly by a load of cars including Alonso without a single fight. Very dissapointed in Alonso there. The only one who put it up to him was Sergio and well he was on the wrong tyres to win that one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

To be fair, the Red Bull is so much faster theres zero point right now in anyone actually trying to race or defend against Max or Checo right now.

Youd only end up delaying the inevitable and wasting some of your tires doing it.

If you set it up so Max in the much faster Red Bull has to really fight to overtake slower cars, then what chance do similarly matched cars have of ever overtaking each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Checo is giving Max a bit of bother at the moment but once we're back racing on regular tracks Max will open up the points gap. We need a few wet races it's our only chance of real excitement and unpredictability.

I wouldn't say Checo is giving max that much to worry about. On Perez best day and Max's poor weekend in Baku, Perez kept max behind with a couple of seconds gap all race. Decent job. On Max's strong day he came from 10th to beat perez by 5 seconds.

Without woeful luck, max just needs drive normally and he'll comfortably beat Perez.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That is some serious amount of optimism there pal.

Max is not one bit bothered by Checo right now, he will only get stronger once we get to proper tracks, that is when you will see the the gulf in skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

My prediction is that by the summer break, people will look back and laugh heartily at the talk of Perez challenging Max for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Boring George says RB dominance is bad for the sport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Which translates to he's pissed off he joined Merc at the wrong time. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You are probably right but you never know, as long as he is in the car that is the class of the field, he has a chance. A run of bad luck for max or if he had to miss a few races or whatever would make things interesting. Perez would need that as max will always have advantage within the team not to mention being faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭dmakc

You could limit DRS to maybe 3 / 5 per race

Hamilton said the same about Vettel during his RB years...they are well trained PR lads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Well it is. Obviously doesn't mean as much coming from a Mercedes driver, but it's not good for the sport. However I would see it as more of a slight on the other nine teams than on RB.

I think one solution would be to ban Adrian Newey from F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I honestly think Perez has as much chance of winning the title as Charles LeClerc did this time last year.

About as much chance as Bottas in the Hamilton years. Botas 2.0, Bottas 2.0 again the next year. He occasionally beat Hamilton on pace over a weekend. He had a good strike rate in the first race of the season. And these threads wondered if he could do a Rosberg. He was the best chance we had of a championship fight, but he had almost no chance. Same with Perez.

Its fun to speculate, but reality is it won't happen. .

If anything, it just shows how good those cars were that Bottas could even win a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

The cars were so good Russell could step in for Hamilton and almost win a race, he was a dead cert to win until the team messed up with the tyres.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Yeah. They were great. Similar to the Red Bull now that oerez can win an odd race too.

The point is that he could beat Hamilton on an odd occasion. Similar to how Perez can beat Maxnon an odd occasion. Doesn't mean either are serious title contenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Looks like a Honda/Aston Martin partnership for 2026 is going to happen. A works engine for the Aston if they continue their current trend could be what tips them over the edge to full on championship contenders...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement