Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭cython

The one in the picture looks like an EO mini which I think supports control via an app, which could presumably be used to secure it. I'd be more concerned about not being able to guarantee access to it to use it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Mythago

Well it comes down to 1400 after the grant :) You would have control over charging using the app or for added control the CB in your consumer box.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Well now you know that it can be done, you just have to do the maths to see if it’s worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Yes, doesnt matter where its bought as long as its on the list of approved devices and you can prove purchase

I did exactly this

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

I live in an apartment, and the builder advised me to ask the council for permission. It is a new build. I have assigned car park in front of the apartment. There is a walkway between the stairs of my apartment and the parking space.

How should I apply to the council and what information should be provided? Thanks a mil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Have zappi installed for 14 months but only recently started to use it on a night boost (electric ireland) for the past 2 months. Mostly works fine, but some mornings i see it has tripped at some stage during the required 2 hour boost. It seems to trip when i have more load being used at this time. In the two months, i think its tripped 4 times

Zappi + dish washer = no issue

Zappi + dish washer + washing machine = trip

zappi + eddi = trip

Its a GARO B32A if that makes any difference. Any advice would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Have an issue with getting the right installer for what I'm looking for.

Live in a new build house and had 2 direct neighbours who have had a zappi and pulsar installed directly outside the meter box. Without running cable to the internal fuseboard in their kitchens.

I've asked for similar from the same 2 installers they used and I've been told they must run a connection to the fuseboard.

Odd

Is this something they have to state in written correspondence but could do different on the day? I'd like to avoid internal cables running through the house.

I've attached a photo of my meter box

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

They have to run cable back to your fuse board. Is it possible your neighbours had it done without knowing? If the houses were pre-wired for a charger, it's a very fast job, they might not even have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Don't think so, they are both very technically minded.

If its prewired as you suggest what would that look like?

That might be the reason they have no noticeable cable running through their house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭allinthehead

There was a bad batch of Garo rcbo's apparently. Get it swapped out, it's an independent rcbo so having loads on other circuits shouldn't impact.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

That information is now outdated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

It could be ran to a small gray square box on that wall or I have seen them left in the same cab as broadband connection point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

Yes. Exact same issue. Garo RCBO albeit a 40A one.

Completely sporadic - high house load, no house load, could have been charging for well over an hour or be just five minutes in, has also happened during the cabin preheating stage in the morning.

What was really hard to pinpoint is there is an "Output Fault !" logged on the Zappi event log right before it trips, which suggests that the Zappi is picking up something before the RCBO actually trips. Had been thinking like you it was load balancing causing something to go a bit nuts but when it was happening during no load periods then it clearly wasn't that.

The eventual conclusion it was the RCBO didn't seem to make any logical sense as you'd think the RCBO would respond to a downstream fault, rather than appear to create one!

MyEnergi support are are recommending Hager RCBO's in place of Garo.

Change to a Hager or newer Garo RCBO. All will be good then.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Not an electrician, but my impression was that is a secondary option when it is difficult to reach the consumer unit from the charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

About the Garo RCBO's.

A friend installed an electric shower a while back(6 months) and after a few weeks, RCBO start tripping without any reason.

Just changed it with a Hager brand and no tripping since then.

Maybe is worth changing it for an extra 28€ the cost of a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Is it something you could do yourself, or would you need an electrician, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

@Brego888 AFAIK the rules about that issue where changed multiple times (at least twice?) in the last few years, the last of which reversed the earlier decision to allow the EV charger to have a consumer unit in the meter box. Presumably your neighbors got theirs fitted in the brief period in which it was allowed?

AFAIK it's still permissible to split the tails after the meter and serve the EV charger from a secondary consumer unit fitted outside the meter box.

Edit: AFAIK P17&18 of the attached are the latest version.

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/08/April2022NewsletterSafeElec-Final.pdf

Post edited by Buffman on

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Electrician RECI

restricted works on a consumer unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭liyan

New to this discussion, so my apologies if the question was already covered previously…

Am planning to install a charger. A few installers recommended Ohme Pro. It appears to be small and has smart functions.

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on it?

Many thanks.

Use my referral link to purchase a Model 3 or Model Y and save 500 EUR: https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/yan759808

Neighbor has one. No problems.

PV compatible like Zappi and wallbox too.

All depends on price installed after the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭liyan

Many thanks @Gumbo

Have seen people mentioning Zappi, Wallbox, EO, etc. But very few discussions on Ohme Pro. So was a bit worried whether it’s a solid option.

Use my referral link to purchase a Model 3 or Model Y and save 500 EUR: https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/yan759808

I have been advised to approach Council to seek approval for EV charger install in front of Apartment/Duplex. OMC approval will take place later.

Any one here managed to get such an approval? What information was required. It is a new 2022 build and I have specifically assigned car parking spaces. Thanks

Is the parking space on OMC lands or council lands?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You're being asked by the management company to engage with the council, knowing full well the council can't say yes, so then the OMC just shrug and tell "sorry, nothing we can do" and they never get sucked into an argument with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, I'm surprised the management company didn't ask him to swing by the local hardware for a long weight and a glass hammer while they were at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,992 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

neighbour needs a charger, are easy go the best bet at 1200, anyone else offering the same?

Footpaths are owned by council. Hence they cannot approve.

• Advertisement

is this relevant? Please note TIC us yet to be completed. Taking in charge to council and OMC.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-03-12/714/#pq-answers-688_714

In relation to planning, the current planning system supports the roll out of electric vehicles. The development of charging infrastructure for electric vehicles is exempt from planning permission under Section 4(1)(h) of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, where development does not materially affect the external appearance of the structure and must be installed by an undertaker authorised to provide an electricity service. The exemption relates to removing the requirement to obtain planning permission only. Works being undertaken to install infrastructure for LEV charging/refuelling also must comply with the requirements of the building regulations.

Advertisement