Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reared Calves

Options
  • 08-05-2023 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All,

Thinking of buying in a few weaned calves. Calves will be off milk and on grass, they will also have received their first dose. Seller who is a friend of mine suggested that they should be dosed every 6 weeks after. Just wondering peoples thoughts on this? is it extreme or the norm? Others i have spoke to who have bought younger calves maintain they only dose once.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It's a kind of "How long is a piece of string?" question.

Ideally you should take FEC samples and get the vet to test them for worm burden. And then dose if need be. But I haven't always done this and you can safely assume they'll need a dose if they're coughing, loose at the back, a bit off colour, etc.

It depends on what you're dosing them with too. White drench, clear, or yellow dose? It's always good to alternate I think.

For what it's worth, I usually give them a white drench around 6 weeks after the smallest ones are left out. That was mid-July for me last year. I did a FEC test then in early Sept and injected them with ivermectin (clear dose) after that, but I can't remember the exact worm burden result - I just followed the vets advice. Another FEC test in Nov and they got ivermectin again then. That was it for them - nothing since.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

I Bought a batch of reared calves and would have dosed the 3 times. Once using a white oral dose (Albex) and then twice with a ivermectin injection over the grazing period. They then got a dose of Levafas when housed in January after finishing grazing the kale I planted. They are out on grass since early march and they are flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purecuntish

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Keep up the good work on YT, videos are great 👏.

Advertisement