Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭sphinxicus

Got my letter today confirming my electricity account number and DD details. Also got my closure bill from EI who for the first time ever decided to estimate my bill (even though I have a smart meter). They have overcharged me by circa €80 for the month that it covers. Of course I assumed the meter reading i gave Flogas would be used by them when they initiated the switch of electricity. Now that my account is closed i cant submit a reading to them online so i guess i have a painful call ahead of me in an attempt to get a refund. Luckilly i have a photo taken of the meter the day i signed up for Flogas and an energy monitor to track what i used between the signup date and the date the EI are billing me for.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Darby_321

After getting an email from Energia today offering a free Google Nest to stay with them. Offer must of gone through with Flogas so but havent heard anything else from them yet apart from initial email.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ArdLix11

Signed up to the BWG 24 hour meter offer for electricity at 29.99 cent/kWh. Got an email today with my new account details. Was with BG and had a smart meter installed at start of the year but wasn't activated. Will I have to submit meter readings for flogas? After smart meter was installed BG were able to take actual reads for my bills. There's a video link in email from flogas as to how to submit readings. Is this only for households without smart meters?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

My online account is set up and rates are confirmed so all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

How long did it take you to receive you account number? applied last friday and didn't get anything apart from the initial generic email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭odddavey

https://www.flogasfeelgoods.com/

check it out.

Signed up to Flogas last Thursday Dual Fuel just missed out on the BG offer.

Got an initial generic welcome mail for gas not referencing electricity but others on the thread said they received the same after signing up Dual Fuel.

Received a letter this morning confirming my SEPA Direct Debit details and my date of sign up.

This letter references no account number etc. Presuming I will get another letter confirming this and my rates etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

going by the comments on this thread people seem to have no patience these days, sign up for a deal and looking for instant confirmation and contracts by post - these things take time to process - the internet has killed off our patience lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

People are just anxious to get a good deal, which given the current price of electricity is very understandable.

• Advertisement

but they have the deal they just dont seem to trust the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭questionmark

My contract with energia is up this month, the best new deal I can find is flogas at 39.85 day rate / 19.31 night rate, which is a good bit more then I'm currently paying with energia ( .28 day and .13 night) . My rate with energia goes up on the 25th (.47 /.22) should I move to flogas now or waiting and hope there will be better deals in a few weeks / months. Tbh don't know how I'll survive next winter did not think my rates would be going up so much

Check the standing charge with flo gas before switching

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭questionmark

Standing charge is €396.89 with flogas vs 269.40 new rate with energia. I think that would still make flogas cheaper for the year , but not sure how many units I use per year

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭odddavey

Where are you getting the Flogas standarding charge from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

you need to get your usage to make a proper price comparison in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

got my welcome email. BWG Fixed rate confirmed but this statement is confusing :

Please be advised, the percentage discount off our Standard Rate is fixed for your length of contract. However, the unit rate, standing charge and PSO charge are subject to change.

Please note, this does not apply to fixed rate tariffs, but the PSO charge is subject to change on all Electricity tariffs.

so is the 29.99c unit rate fixed or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bobbyg

What's confusing about it? The second sentence literally says it does not apply to fixed rates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭gussieg

my last flogas bill -email- was -250, i m hoping that means in credit , not sure when the 12 months is up, but if i move to another provider , wht happens to the credit? do i get it back , or do they jut kepp it on file in case i return, or do i just lose it?

If you switch providers with credit on your account you contact them after the final bill and they will post a cheque or send the credit to your registered bank account

I had promotional credit with EI a few years ago and they refused to send it to me. They said it would be in my account if I ever came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

EI run a tighter ship than some of the other providers it seems. They even provide for clawing back welcome credit if you leave within the 12 months while the likes of Airtricity will only bill you for the breakage fee usually €50. The likes of utilities have been holding onto things like over payments for years while rightly they should be refunded if requested be the customer. I'm not sure in your case promotional credit is something they are legally obliged to refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

I just called Flogas to confirm with them the 24h electricity unit rate that will be applied to my account, and it turns out that they will apply a different rate than the bwg deal I signed up for. They told me that the rate would be 34c (instead of 29.99c).

It looks like they didn't process my switch yet (therefore this could be the reason for the wrong rate?) and my 14 days cooling off period will expire this Friday. I told them to double check the rate that I signed up for and to get back to me before the end of the cooling off period on Friday.

Post edited by Amouar on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I checked and Electric ireland and flogas are the best currently for night meter plan ! Shame no one offering proper discounts or credits !

Do we expect price decreases going forward or rise ? If they will rise further may stick with flogas as its fixed

Electric Ireland posted me a cheque last year no problem, I guess it all depends who you speak to on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭This is it

We've just moved from an apartment with electricity only to a house with gas also. We have 30% discount with EI so we'll move that over today.

I can only base our habits on that of living in an apartment but during the cold months probably 2-3 hours an evening, warmer months the heating would rarely be used at all.

I'm wondering what's the best gas only deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Spn744

I hope they’re not pulling this one on people. I’ll give them a call myself and see what they say because I signed up to the 29.99 rate and have screenshots. Hated from the start the lack of confirmation of the rate after signing up. Did they flat out deny or what was their response?

Advertisement