Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy landscaping idea

Options
  • 08-05-2023 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I can't up with an idea that is possibly crazy, but wanted to get some thoughts before I disregard it out as impractical, or spend ages researching.

We've moved into our new home on 0.5 acres, but the original person we hiring for landscaping has essentially left us with a rough field as a "lawn".

I've gotten quotes from a few landscapers to fix it. The best quote (which is a very reputable company) is 8k. Part or the problem is that our lawn has multiple levels and slopes, and quite a bit of stone. So it's not a straight forward job to tackle ourselves.

That 8k is going to take us a while to save for. I had a thought...

I'm originally from a farm, so I have access to agricultural land and equipment (about 1.5 hours drive away). Would it be feasible to plant 0.5 acres of a lawn, then use a turf cutter to cut rolls of lawn that I then lay at my house? Or is this a ridiculous pipe dream? I know everything is possible, but just because something is possible doesn't mean it's a practical idea!

Appreciate thoughts....and please don't ridicule me touch 🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

If you are competent enough to level it out and prepare the soil why not just seed it. As a farmer you may have done that in an agricultural setting. But use a good lawn seed. Much easier and cheaper.

Also plan your ultimate garden and know the parts which will have trees, shrubs, flowerbeds and vegetables, play areas and patio etc. You might leave these as wild flower meadow until you plant them. Draw a rough sketch of what you would like the garden to look like in five years.

Many landscapers recreate their own garden plan rather than listening to their client.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Your plan does not allow for the fact that you will still have to sort out the levels, remove the (big) stones and till the surface. When you have that done scattering seed and taking care of it is the easiest part of the job - you will have to also level and get a good surface on the field where you propose to grow the turf grass.

Someone who is handy with a small(ish) digger could scrape off soil, make the levels then replace the soil in not much more than a day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I know everything is possible, but just because something is possible doesn't mean it's a practical idea!

another possibility - do something with it other than lawn. half an acre of lawn will cost you money in the long run. why not work with the conditions rather than against them? plant a small woodland and reduce the amount of lawn you cultivate.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Good point @magicbastarder... And definitely something worth researching. Thanks!

Thanks @looksee. Those points around levels and removing the stone were in the back of my mind, and will need to be weighed up before seeing what is most practical.

I take your point onboard and will give a thought to what you are suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

A pic would help but in general a half-acre lawn sounds doable by yourself if you're just looking for a grass lawn.

If you have someone who can drive a digger, a weekend's rental would get a lot of clearing and moving done.

Here's some images, as well as a satellite shot from about 18 months ago, while still under construction. I've outlined the site.

I'm in the process of strimming...you'll be able to see where isn't strimmed yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

+1 on starting with a plan. You can list what you eat and can grow. You can few apple/pear trees, some bushes (blackcurrant, raspberry, etc) and a small veg patch. If you don’t like gardening, trees and bushes are low maintenance and for the veg garden, if you only grow potatoes and courgettes, it should be fine.

For the most part if you mow continuously and feed as appropriate for a couple of seasons you will end up with a lawn, or at least an expanse of decent grass. Pick off the worst stones, dig up any very robust docks and thistles but otherwise mowing will sort it.

The way the house is sited leaves you with very interesting spaces. I would be delighted with such a project.

I presume you will be putting in some (native) hedging to give shelter, soften the fences and some privacy. That low stone wall is a treasure.

Mark on a plan or sketch where the sun is a couple of times some day. Ideally do that in all seasons and then you know what’s sunny and shaded at all times of the year. Note the prevailing wind. Get a feel for the site and don’t be too fussy about a perfect lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just cut the grass areas with a decent mower and before long you'll have a lawn.

Wake me up when it's all over.

You're welcome to come and help...I'll send my Eircode :)

Yes, the stone wall is great.

We'll be doing some hedging at the front for privacy as you said, but luckily privacy isn't an issues on the other sides. We'll just be using it to soften the fences as you mentioned.

Afraid it's not that easy. There are holes in the lawn that mean. I'd be more likely to break the lawnmower. Also, the grass is coarse grass more like a field. I needs to be properly seeded again.

I'm changing my opinion on the garden based on what you are suggesting. Only problem is that I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on good places to get inspiration?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I used to cut acres and acres of amenity grass around housing estates. I've cut much worse and got it decent. You don't have to cut on the bottom setting. Just cut regularly at about 80mm and it will improve. Holes are easy you can fill them in, big humps are worse.

Even if that was 100% weed or just bare spoil a years cutting would leave you with mostly grass that would look OK.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I might give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I ask what native hedging in Ireland is?

Hawthorn being one I assume?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes. hawthorn, blackthorn, hazel, holly etc.

beech or hornbeam could also be used, but are considered naturalised rather than native.

I’m repeating myself but having a vision of what you want the garden to be in five years time is the best starting point. Dining area, barbecue, seating, play, secluded nook where you can relax with a book, pond, whatever you desire. You may never bother with any of that and just have grass.

Consider power points and lighting and taps too in your plan. Digging in a cable and pipes is easier now before you begin. Can be connected whenever.

Then develop it at your pace. Observe the gardens around you and choose features you like.

Test the soil ph and choose plants which suit the soil. I have very alkaline soil so I avoid camellia, rhododendron etc. Talk to anyone local who likes to garden. We are a generous lot with information and plant donations.

But do wash the roots of donated plants before you introduce them to avoid pests like vine weevil. Also don’t plant anything which spreads too easily.

There are loads of on line resources. Once you have a plan work towards it. Mowing any type of grass regularly results in a good lawn. As you’ve been told fill the holes.

When preparing a cultivated area take time to cover and kill all weeds before starting. I didn’t plant my new garden until my second season and weeding is now just controlling annual self seeding weeds.

Remember scent when choosing plants.

I’ll come down from my soapbox now!!

Delighted to have you on your soapbox!

Thanks again for taking the time to give feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 LilianaHowell

Good luck with your lawn transformation!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭con747

They will do work in Ireland yes? I don't think so.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

They do however have a bot that infests worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Just my tuppance worth, but ....

dont be too gung-ho to get a lawn. Especially one that big! Grass is WORK. Imagine the summer, where you have to spend a couple of hours (on a ride-on) twice a week. It really becomes a chore. And when you put it off for a bit (because you dont have time, or it rains, etc) its a bigger chore when you get to it. Also, what do you do with the grass clippings? There will be a small hill of them every week, and they dont compost well. Dumping them in a corner will result in that corner turning slowly into silage.

Dont get me wrong. A lawn is lovely to look at, and for kids to play on, and have a bench / table / etc for sitting out on. But keep it small. Something that takes less than an hours to cut with regular mower (imho) , maybe a mulcher to keep help with dumping of cuttings.

Cover some square footage with a patio, deck, raised beds, wild-flower section, green-house, orchard, rock-garden. Or any combo there. My preference is raised beds. The more you put in them, and more time you give them, the bigger & better they will be and when they are full, you wont even have to weed them. You will be cutting grass for the rest of your life.

I dont know about your levels, or drainage. But its always best to work with nature. So keep the raised parts (tidy them up, square them away, whatever) and give them 1 particular function. Same with low areas, or shaded areas, or out of the way areas.

I had a front & back garden (usual 1/2 acre countryside site), and they could not have been more different. Front was damp and waterlogged in winter. Hard as rock in summer. I think it was damaged during building of house with all the machinery coming in & out, and just a couple of inches of soil put back with some grass seed. It was all moss and reeds by time we bought it. Years of cutting grass and patching with new seed didnt help. In the end I killed all the growth, covered it all in weed barrier and placed a dozen raised beds with gravel walkways between. In 1 year it was transformed, and looked the business. When any weed comes up through barrier / grave, I pull it or spray it. Back garden was a treat. Good soil. Good drainage. Lots of stones however. We kept a small lawn by back door (30 mins to cut) and the rest was split into a small orchard and wild flower section. There were chickens in there too for a while. They were very good at keeping grass / weeds down, but we had to get rid of them as they became too much work. We did have over 40 then.... chickens are addictive!

Anyway , just think about the lawn . Its not the easy solution that most people think. You have an (almost) blank slate. Think, plan, and think again.

PS the best gardening advise I ever got was from my MIL. Actually 2 bits:

(1) have a look at neighbours garden ad see whats growing (that you like) and plant that - micro climate etc means it will prob grow for you. No point in planting stuff you saw in a botanical garden once! Cork v Dublin v Donegal have different climates, even 1 parts of Kerry is different to another, etc

(2) if you plant stuff and it doesnt grow .... dont plant it again (trying to remember names of plants that you planted a couple of years ago is the hard part!)

Advertisement