Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're moving!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 08-05-2023 4:07pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

I hoped the headline would grab your attention :).

OK! Don't panic. It's only Transatlantic. 😕

So there has been a whole load of negotiations and back and forth with Vanilla/Higherlogic recently. Amidst all the conversations a new development came to the fore. The issue of site speed was a hot topic and they put forward an option that was previously unavailable to us. It is now possible for us to be hosted on a European server. Their hope is that this will improve site speed and some other issues that have cropped up. So it was decided to get the ball rolling on this ASAP in the hopes that it would have a positive impact.

I had requested for the move to be made this week. They have confirmed that the move will take place on the 11th of May. That's this Thursday morning at 1.00am. It is expected that there will be some downtime for the site then.

There are a couple of conditions attached to the switch. One of which is a clear and transparent move for all of our users. There may also be some minor changes to things like privacy policies etc.. We have not fully developed a detailed plan of all changes as of yet, but we want any changes that we are implementing to be as transparent as possible. We will do our best to keep everyone properly informed with all relevant information as soon as it is available to us. So we are taking the time to inform everyone. We have informed the Admins and Mods last week and are taking this opportunity to issue a site wide announcement.

It is our hope that there won't be much downtime and this will improve some issues that we are currently facing and will boost positivity overall. We have been assured that it will not be any longer than 24 hours. It could potentially take this long because there is such a huge database here to move. So although it may be disruptive it is necessary and it will be carried out as efficiently as possible to keep this disruption to a minimum. When we receive a definitive timeline we will add it here.

Anyways if you have any questions or comments then post them here and as I said, we will put any update here as soon as we have them.

Thanks all.

Mike.

Comments

Any improvement in site speed is a good thing imho 👍️

If there are changes coming to the site policies will they be rolled out/published ahead of the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

24 hours you say ... see you all next year. 🤣🤣🤣

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This should end well...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Not yet developed a full plan for something happening in three days?

Think I’ll order some popcorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"We have been assured....."

Where did we hear that before??? 🤔

I really hope it goes to plan (if there is a plan), but I'll be on my holliers for the next two weeks, so in reality I just hope there's something here when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I guess if there isn't much of a plan it can't go that wrong.

I just wanted to be the first to mention GDPR!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

So as usual Boards.ie are going to take a shít and then pull their pants down.

Would it not be a little more prudent to have all the details ironed out before the migration??

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Can someone explain this to a Neanderthal who is computer illiterate…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

(Edited to reflect the fact the mods pointed out the site is currently hosted in Canada, not the US. My bad!)

They're moving the information hosted by boards.ie to servers in the EU (they're in the US Canada now). They'll then be physically closer to the vast majority of the users here in Ireland. By being closer, the site should be faster, as loading the site data takes less time because user requests don't have to physically traverse the Atlantic.

Post edited by heavydawson on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Yeah that’s what I thought but had just assumed an Irish website would be on a European server by default. The more you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,056 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To be precise is it an EU based server or a European one??? They are not necessarily the same thing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Nothing will go wrong. Plans are for fools 😁. Nice Knowing you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think you need to take another week before you do anything.

I'm serious. You haven't locked down the details, there's a lot of hoping and crossing of fingers and paperwork left to be done by the sounds of it and you're planning to do this in 3 days?

Does boards have a change control process, because as someone who oversees one, there's no way this major move is ready for implementation - especially given all we've seen to date of the relationship between you and your vendor and their responsiveness (or more accurately the lack there of) when something goes wrong.

Given this site is already operating on the margins financially (unless things have changed?), I don't think you should take the risk of killing off what little traffic remains (by previous standards) in another botched migration.

• The server is likely in Ireland… waiting for planning permission! 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 82,900 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So all this clap in CA/IMHO over users raging about discussing "US topics on an Irish forum" and the forum is being hosted in the US? kek kek kek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, it's not. It's in Canada, which meets EU privacy standards, the US does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Any chance we could be given the option of not seeing that add about Ukraine everytime we try to load up a thread on Boards.ie

Yes I know there is a war on in Ukraine. I come here to chat and get away from that. I see enough of it on the news. I do not need to keep constantly seeing it here too. Just have it if people are going into the Current Affairs threads and the ones about Russia and Ukraine not everywhere else.

I agree with the poster above wait another week at least or even better a month before you change things over. Let's try and get it right this time unlike last time which was a disaster.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apparently we were offered a great deal by Moscow......

😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Any chance you could make the announcement message closable?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

.... change control is sooo last year. Boards is bleeding edge agile DevOps all the way.... 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

So what does this mean for the Burkes?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

They argued any site discussing their family should be hosted in Europe. They won.

Why try speed up the site when you have that full screen ad making it a miserable experience? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

"There may also be some minor changes to things like privacy policies etc.. We have not fully developed a detailed plan of all changes as of yet"

Don't like the sound of that, Ted 😵

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Kaiser, tell the truth, you will be here until boards breathes it's last breath. You have a love hate relationship, they could revert the site to a dreamweaver html website and you would still embrace it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

We should already be in compliance with EU guidelines, Ireland being EU. Unless the “European server” is not in the EU? The geographical server site location may also have specific national regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Russians are tapping the undersea cable so they can capture all of Boards in one go. 😀

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

On top left (on phone site anyways ) of the advert, click it and it gives you the usual Google options to adverts, it's gone for the moment from my screen.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement