Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

@Rosita @FrankFurillo Tired of seeing 'personal' type posts between the two of ye in particular.

Attack the post, not the poster.

Do not quote or reply to this on thread, PM if there's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Apparently, officials from the two provincial councils have agreed that from 2024 for a trial period of two years one of the deciders will be staged on a Saturday evening and the other taking place the following afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

Was that not the case for the last few years? I was at both finals last year, leinster on the Saturday evening and Munster the following afternoon......

Both of this year’s provincial finals are scheduled to take place on the same afternoon, Sunday June 11. It's an ongoing issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

It's terrible scheduling to have them the same day...anyone going to one game won't even be able to watch the other on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Cusack had some validity in his views but some contractions too, found the Liverpool example funny enough given all of their premier league games are behind a paywall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He understands the necessity of a Paywall from a monetary perspective. The issue with the top hurling games being on GaaGo at the moment is exactly that, an issue. It would have been Far less of an issue had they been on Sky, like last year. Every pub in Ireland has Sky Sports and so many households have Sky Sports aswell - especially through NowTV also - where several households even had the same login and could view the games. It was definitely more accessable as so many already had Sky for the Soccer - an advantage for alll those that wanted to watch the GAA aswell. Yes, Sky was a Paywall but completely different to GAAGO as nobody had that and it was an Extra cost too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I got GAAGO at €60 last xmas for 38 games, from a purely selfish point of view I find very handy to use, have the app on my tablet and phone and chromecast to the TV, my issue with it is how it's alienating the older generation, creating unnecessary barriers and same with the online ticket sales.Also pretty obvious RTE fought hard over the last decade to prevent Munster hurling games ending up on Sky now when they've skin in the GAAGO game they seem to be alot more accommodating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭robwen

Every pub in Ireland definitely don't have Sky Sports

The vast majority of pubs have Sky Sports in fairness, by comparison to them having GaaGo is the point.

The difficulty to the elderly accessing GaaGo rather than Sky at home is also a serious difference and a real consideration between the two.

A good point made regarding the Ease at which the better hurling games found their way onto GaaGo in comparison to Sky also.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I saw Fintan O'Toole mention that the GAA Go app now works natively on the newer Chromecasts that come with a remote so that's a big improvement in terms of ease of access. No messing around with casting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see Michael Martin jumping on the all games free to air bandwagon now. There are 15 intercounty games next weekend! It would be impossible for rte to show all of them. It's easy to be wise after the event and say that the great game between cork and tipp should have been shown but last years cork tipp game was pure shite as were most round Robin games in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I think you're right that the overall point of having more Munster championship hurling games on TV would be good, because they're often (certainly not always) great games to watch, is very valid.

I didn't agree with almost any of the reasons they put forward for this being so imperative. There aren't many lads in Leitrim and Donegal who would have decided to give hurling a go because they saw a provincial game between Tipperary and Cork. If it took seeing inter-county games on television for people to be into hurling, the sport would have died out decades ago (and being on television certainly hasn't helped Gaelic Football take off in Kilkenny). The clubs is where hurling can be best promoted, but Donal Og is very much against that side of things.

Maybe something needs to be looked at in terms of which games are shown (just bad luck that Cork/Waterford the previous weekend was a dud), and especially with football provincials being almost meaningless now they could probably focus more on hurling provincial matches early in the season for television.

But freaking out about hurling losing out to gaelic football, rugby and soccer because a few matches weren't free-to-air on Irish television (as has been the case forever) is way over the top. And bringing the Tailteann Cup into things was pure nonsense. The scenes in Westmeath alone after the win last year showed the competition was worth the coverage, and the Joe MacDonagh final was on television too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thinking hurling will grow or die based on games games being on or not being on telly is letting important people off the hook.

If you want to grow hurling it's the schools and county boards of the lower tier counties that are the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭robwen

They don't in plenty of rural areas, before COVID all the pubs in villages around me got a visit from an undercover guy who observed sky being shown in pub, they then got correspondence that they were only household sky accounts & to show sky in pub they should have a different pub account or legal action would be taken, of course the pub license costs thousands more than a household one, so all the pubs got rid of sky as they couldn't afford the crazy extra cost & it's a large number of pubs in more rural areas.

Anyway I'm going off topic I do agree with your broad point on GAA Go

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

are the final group standings based on head to head if level on points or scoring difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Head to head if 2 teams level. Scoring difference if more than 2 teams level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Kilkenny men John Henderson and Eddie Keher and Cyrill Farrell on Liveline saying our recent Munster games and other games should be promoted with free to air.

• Advertisement

But did they also say they agree with gaago/pay per view?

Yes i think they said there is a place for it but not the big hurling games.

I agree with Keher that in no way should the Munster and Leinster hurling finals be on the same day. Most if not all woukd be interested in seeing both and if you are going to one of the games you can't even see the other on tv as they are so close starting times.

I wouldn't even have them on the same weekend. Give maximum exposure to one final for one whole week (build up, match and then review) and the same the following week for the other final.

Throwing them on the same day is ridiculous.

That's fair enough. The gobshite politicians want all games free to air!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads at the top of the GAA are football men, hurling is simply an afterthought, they aren't concerned with the development of the game. Get it over and done with seems to be the policy, someone said the whole thing is over in 11 weekends! Taiteann cup will get great exposure in a few weeks while the Joe McDonagh results don't even get read out!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Jerseys belonging to past and present inter county stars - some worn in finals - available here:

Jersey 4 Life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,825 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Who would of thought that in Mid May that the All Ireland would be so wide open and with Limerick not been the force they once were. Its hard to predict who will be climbing the steps of the Hogan in July

Could be another 2013/2017/2018

Limerick only lost one game by one point...

They're still overwhelming favourites for the All-Ireland. They still have the strongest squad that has a proven track record that it can sustain major injuries to key players and still win the All-Ireland. There's still no other team who has proven themselves close to that.

Plus, we don't know yet how the war of the Munster Championship will cost Munster teams. Could be a few more major injuries yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Good point about the impact of the Munster championship on teams. It's almost gone over people's heads with all the talk of Munster but you'll have one of Kilkenny-Galway into an All Ireland semi final and we saw how Clare got on last year after the Munster campaign. Those other two counties are nicely protected by the championship system while the rest take chunks out of each other and accumulate injuries that can't be sorted in a blitz style championship.

Limerick's biggest challenge will be getting out of Munster. After that they are capable. But it is set up for Kilkenny (who presumably will win the Leinster final) and maybe Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭billyhead

Kilkenny or Galway won't be as battle hardened as the Munster teams.

Advertisement