Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,534 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Milne got badly beaten in the end. Hopefully he can learn a lot from it. He's young so no need to panic. If he's getting beaten and in yellow card territory in another couple of years, then he won't work out. But no need to worry at this stage in his development.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah I’m not overly concerned, I think what he contributes outside the scrum makes it well worth the investment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agree to an extent - There aren't many front rows like that one to be fair in terms of sheer size and power.

He does however have to learn to "paint a better picture" to the referee and to use the bigger guy against himself - Milne was going in a little too high giving Du Toit and then Sadie the leverage to force the "hinge" on him , if he starts lower then the picture shows them driving him down and they give up the penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

That was as stiff a test as you could get as a young loosehead and Milne did perfectly ok which would be par the course I reckon for him at this stage of his development.

TDT is obviously a superb prop but my god Sadie must be like a cheat code. Even for a South African prop the man is stupidly large. I have never seen legs like that on a human in my life. Tough test for Mikey and I'm sure he got a lot out of it.

In terms of how Leinster and Ireland want to play ie. ball in and out of scrum quickly and save the props for around the park work that was a good showing for him but I do think he a little bit more work.

6 tries in 5 games is a notable strike rate. None of them were worldies but they still had to be scored. 4 of them were against South African sides. Their pack don't give 1m pick and jam tries for free. They all required strength, technique and decision making.

The Munster game will be a huge chance for him to really stake a claim. The only looseheads who have a realistic chance of making the RWC squad are from Leinster and Munster as it stands so a huge opportunity for him to show the coaches he's ahead of Loughman. As of now I don't think he is but it could easily change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's a shame he missed a year's development. There's always lads that our props will struggle against. Milne will improve.

• Advertisement

Big lads. Nche is monstrous also.

I wish I could get back implants. Imagine having THAT back! Mother of God!

R.O.G has built a great squad. That team are fantastic. Obviously there's a difference in styles, but LaR are a suffocating side with power and skill. Great side to watch.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Jenkins behind him partially at fault :-)

When a T/H gets popped it's partly because the 2nd row doesn't slide back under the pressure so the prop gets squeezed in the middle..

At least that's what the prop will tell you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

From the Indo - Munster’s Malakai Fekitoa, Conor Murray, Calvin Nash and RG Snyman have all been scratched from this week’s URC semi-final clash with Leinster following their head injuries in the win against Glasgow last weekend. Peter O’Mahony (elbow), who will attend a scan later today, may be able to return while Diarmuid Barron (shoulder) will be continually assessed during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

What are people thinking the team for Munster should be?

Do you go out as many front liners as possible? Who should get rest'ed?

I think guys who've played a lot of minutes or who are carrying knocks will be rested.

I think it'll be something like:

15-9, 1-8: J O'Brien, T O'Brien, Frawley, Ngatai, Kearney, H Byrne, McGrath, Milne, Kelleher, Ala'alatoa, Baird, Jenkins, Deegan, Connors, Conan.

Reps: McKee, Boyle, Clarkson, J McCarthy, Doris, JGP, R Byrne, Turner

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

I wouldn't have Ross Byrne anywhere near this one. Harry starts and one of the academy lads on bench.

Leinster will probably go with something like -

Milne, McKee , Alalatoa , Molony, Jenkins, Baird , Connors, Deegan , McGrath , H Byrne , Larmour , Ngatai , Frawley , Kearney , JOB

With Kelleher, Ed Byrne ,Furlong, McCarthy, JVDF , JGP , R Byrne and Henshaw.

That's assuming that Kelleher and Henshaw are fit - think they'll both need to be involved to show readiness for Euro Final the following week.

I've goen with JVDF on the bench and Doris and Conan were both involved last week.

Larmour might be rested for someone like Tommy O'Brien or Rob Russell depending on how bad that knock is and also depending on the status of James Lowe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Only saw the crappy highlights of the Munster game. Did Murray’s injury result in a red card?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don't think there is much evidence that they'll go that light on first team this weekend - the team versus the Sharks had more.

It would also mean several players having one game in 6 or so weeks. Players coming in undercooked vs SR does not seem ideal.

Last time Leinster were in a similar position they played the majority of starters and that was without the break they had during the SA trip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yep, but rather the red card incident resulted in Murray’s injury, I’d say (being pedantic)

Was as clear as red as I’ve seen in awhile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its a semi-final!!!

If Prendergast was going to see gametime here it would have been on the bench against the Sharks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's a semi-final alright with an even bigger final the following week. If Harry goes down early, is it really worth risking Ross playing the bulk of a game that could be highly attritional with La Rochelle the following week. Frawley should be the back-up outhalf if they're not satisfied with Prendergast or Tector stepping up.

If Harry goes down early, is it really worth risking Ross playing the bulk of a game that could be highly attritional with La Rochelle the following week

Yes.

I refuse to go down the road of thinking the league is not worth winning. Leinster clearly don't think Frawley is a 10 and if we go into a semi final with an academy player on the bench I'll be very disappointed and as far as I'm concerned it would be a sign that we aren't good enough to win the double.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Porter has similar issues at times with the picture he paints. I still think having Baird behind him might have contributed too. Hopefully though it will be a great learning curve for Milne.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think frawley is good enough to cover 10 from the bench.

Nobody said that the league is not worth winning. But it's a squad game and we've to be smart with our selections here-on out.

So in your mind, Harry goes down early (let's say its an injury or HIA), it's better to risk Ross Byrne for the majority of a game that could be hugely attritional and possibly risk injury leaving us having to START an academy player against La Rochelle... All for a game that we are already 14 points favourite for...

The rest of the team will be able to carry an academy out-half if we need one off the bench. So for me, Frawley on the bench as out-half cover is clever squad management here.

You are creating hypotheticals - one of which is now losing two 10s in the same match. The risk of that is tiny and could be applied to any knockout match. We didn't take it easy in the R16 in case someone got injured for the QF.

If we have an academy player on the bench we are not taking the game seriously. I do not for a second think that the management will take this match that lightly. We're not 14 point favourites on the basis of Prendergast playing.

It's utter nonsense to suggest that we are not taking the game seriously if we put one academy player on the bench. The rest of the squad will be filled with experienced players, some of whom are in contention for the following week.

With Harry's injury profile, its not a huge stretch to say he might go down and the replacement out-half called upon. And Leinster have to think of hypotheticals as we're already one OH down. Frawley has shown himself to be extremely capable at ten and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's named as the replacement out-half or they opt for one of the younger lads. And I would still expect us to win, which is the goal.

Frawley has very rarely been trusted at 10 by Leinster. It would be unusual to suddenly do so for a semi final against our closest rivals.

Yes, I would much rather in the scenario that HB has to go off early that RB comes off the bench because I want Leinster to win both competitions.

If Frawley or Prendergast were not trusted last week in a clearly easier match, why would they suddenly be trusted now?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Because there is an extra week between those games and the HC final, to state the obvious.

I'm not disagreeing with you per say as I also expect Ross to be named at 22, but I'd have no problem with frawley covering the 10 shirt from the bench, with Harry playing as long as he can (he can easily do 80).

• Advertisement

Yeah fair enough on the extra week. But it's also a much tougher match.

The idea of going into this match weaker than last week just makes no sense to me.

Advertisement