Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just stay well clear of the pit rats up the front

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

We went in the yellow route and got there at 4pm yesterday and got into the pit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Health & safety, insurance and event licence rationale.if a Drunk Bruce falls over onto a kid in the pit and injured them who do you think will be sued!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

lol

Mostly foreigners I suspect, most of the close ups of people in the pit did not look Irish, too well tanned and not sprayed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I met a dyed in the wool Kerry woman last night in her 50's who'd been at the rail on Friday. She was in the pit last night but didn't get to the rail. Lovely woman but was really into the pit numbering thing. To my astonishment she said goodbye to me midway through the second last song so she could start queueing for Tuesday.

• Advertisement

The best reason to get a pit band although unfortunately the large number of people they let into the pit means that you still get a proportion of knob ends like the ones you've described there. Even in the pit you'd be advised to try and get up as close to the stage as possible to maximise your chances of being with people who actually want to, like, enjoy the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Any changes to the set from Friday to last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Passes lined up for tomorrow, do elaborate 😉

They seemed to be leaving people with passes in at the side of the pit in front of me, security guy wasnt doing a very good job to be honest , loads of people sneaking in when he had his back turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Juanner

Five. My Love Will Not Let You Down and Death to My Hometown opened the show before No Surrender. Darkness on the Edge of Town appeared early and Candy's Room dropped out. Later, Pay Me My Money Down took Johnny 99's spot in the middle of the set. Finally, Land of Hope and Dreams replaced by Bobby Jean in the encores.

Biggest omission was Thunder Road which has been played at every stop on the tour (apart from opening night in Tampa) but was skipped last night with the main set ending after Badlands. That's a BIG song to leave out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

There is a theory that Thunder Road was to be done after Glory Days, but then he called out for Bobby Jean to replace it, wanting to maintain the emotional momentum that had built over the previous few songs. That may or may not be true, but you could see that Bobby Jean was definitely a call out/audible/change to whatever was on the setlist, and Thunder Road seems the most likely contender (though it could have been Ramrod).

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A couple of pics from last night

Over 217 years and counting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Juanner

Could be. I'd be interested to see the original setlist. Bobby Jean was definitely audibled though so something made way for it. Shame Rosalita seems to have been shelved in favour of Born in the USA on the Euro tour. He sang it almost every night in the US while BitUSA was only played once. I know he's ambivalent about the song generally but I'd argue most of the people waving American flags and singing it last night were not any more or less aware of the song's criticism of US foreign and domestic policy than an audience in Portland or Atlanta or Baltimore would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Huge respect to Bruce and the band, but would you please let Steve Van Zandt back to working on some new Lilyhammer seasons? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

A strange move to drop Thunder Road.... Maybe for the best if he's not enjoying playing it. It certainly went down well on Friday.

I did notice him motioning to Stevie a couple times to take the little "got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk" riff.... Usually Bruce's takes this, struck me as a tad unusual, then again he was out on a walkabout at the time.

I'm really surprised at the dislike for Kitty's Back... The band are so solid for it and all get their time in the spotlight. Epic musicianship! It was flat as a pancake on Friday where I was, once again the poxy sound made the groove impossible to get into!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Thunder road has always been a one in every 2/3 gigs song, I'm on gig 13 and I think I've seen it 5 times, the only song you're guaranteed to hear is born to run, and that's cause the band never get it right.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Had my back to the back of the pit rail for a lot of last night. No problems with the crowd apart from one women who was talking loudly during the intro to Last Man. Was told to shut up, didnt, was told again, didnt and then was told by about 10 people. Finally shut up. But Ill take that through a 3 hour gig. Theres always one.

Pit in Barca was way bigger. Thought the pit last night was about standard size. Glad I got in.

A binfire of uninterested drunks on parts of the pitch. Went to the toilet during Marys Place and heard a few jarred lads moaning he hadnt played anything they knew. By that time he'd played No Surrender off BITUSA, Prove it All Night off Darkness, Darkness off Darkness, The Promised Land off Darkness and Kittys Back off Wild. Very famous albums, obviously.

Althought Ive never really liked Prove it all Night or Promised Land.

Enjoyed last night but thoroughly Bruced out now at this stage. Rumours from a mate in the queue who met someone who knows one of Bruces sound guys is theres a 2024 Euro tour planned. Madrid apparently the only date was mentioned so far.

Ill be traveling again for one gig. Make a weekend out of it. Nighttime starts > Daytime starts. He was at the encore last night and it was still bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Was in the pit last night and genuinely had the best night of my life. Crowd around me were really into the music, not a lot of chatter, brilliant craic. Hoping for similar tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

@Beasty What camera do you use? You always have great gig shots

setlist sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deviladvocate

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gratefan35

Apologies if this has been covered in the thread, but I’m heading to the gig about 2 tomorrow, is it best to stick to the route in my ticket (merrion yellow route) or to go to the main Simmons court queue to get out passes?

The queue is at at simmonscourt and they let those people in first. When it gets to about 3000 they send people to the other entrances (Merrion rd in my case on Friday) and when everyone is in on simmonscourt side they open the other gates.

2pm should be ok to the simmonscourt side given it's Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just need to get the right light and conditions and get up real real close. 😁

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gratefan35

Thanks Dr Nick, much appreciated

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Those two were taken with a Canon PowerShot SX730 HS, which offers up to 40 magnification. In the natural light yesterday I could get away with a 1/160 shutter speed and still get great quality. The first one was probably from about 15/20m, the other one was when he was off the front of the stage

I have another Sony that takes much better quality photos, but only has 8x magnification. Got some good shots of Springsteen on his own as well as the whole stage with that one - this photo was taken from the same spot as those other two, but with the Sony Powershot

I think you were standing beside me in the pit yesterday! There was a guy who kept switching between what looked a big professional photographer's camera with a really big zoom lens, and then he was using a smaller compact camera with an extendable zoom (I have one of those myself - a Panasonic TZ80 - got some great shots with it on Friday). Are you quite tall (i.e. over 5'10" which is my height) and were you wearing glasses and a baseball cap? If it was you I was fascinated by the fact that you kept switching between the two and wondered what you were getting with the smaller compact that you couldn't get with the big professional kit. I was going to ask you when the gig was over but you left - or at least moved off from beside me- shortly before the end of the gig?

Did you get this set list an if so how? If so I will be very annoyed as I hung around the stage both Friday night and last night and there wasn't a sniff of a set list to be had.

Wow, fair play to whoever told her to shut up - you don't see that normally in this country where behaving like an arsehole is usually dismissed as "ah shure they'll only havin' a laugh".

• Advertisement

No I snipped it from Facebook, but that guy got it somehow

Advertisement