Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

"Dublin's density outside the city centre is probably fine for overground trams, if they could dip in and out of tunnels here and there."

No.

Rail lines intersecting with Road Traffic is a terrible idea. Basically it's trams done on the cheap. Either elevate them or run them under ground or build road bridges over them. This can be seen everywhere, there is always heavy traffic congestion around level crossings and the rail traffic progress is always slow where it intersects with roads.

I genuinely believe it's to late for Metrolink (Dublin Metro, Metro Line 2000,  Metro North, or what ever it's being called these days) at this point. The original completion dates were: 2016, 2012, 2027, 2031, 2035. I believes it's dead mostly because of the unplanned and messy urban sprawl that has occurred over the last 20 years, with 0% meaningful investment in infra.

There is no political will, and no technical expertise to get this project moving.

So the easy solution is to just ban cars from the city centre and hope for the best. "Sure it'll be grand like"

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

..and then wonder why the business centre of the city has been hollowed out in favour of suburban retail parks. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Building an underground in Dublin just isn't going to happen, the absolutely colossal costs and disruption it would cause for years even decades would probably bankrupt the City!

The basic facts are that city centres and private car usage just aren't compatible, the only way to clean up the city streets are to make the majority of roads "Bus only", introduce a fleet of electric buses, Park n'ride facilities around the M50... if you don't remove the cars you won't ever have an efficient public transport service.. and that includes limiting Taxi's in the city centre to fully electric and only allowed to pick up from designated ranks..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Another nonsensical and meaningless out of context post.

Seven cyclists died on the roads, so let's ban cars.

Twelve people died on farms so let's ban farming. Which of YOUR family members are you prepared to offer up to the inexorable death toll on our farms. STOP eating now to save our people.

The one-eyed view of cyclists does your cause great harm.

Well there in lies the dilemma. The traffic in the suburbs is now far worse than that in the city centre.

Even on the motorcycle, if coming into town the slowest bit if coming from Swords is Junction 1 on the M1 to Drumcondra.

The traffic around Swords, Malahide, Portmarnock, Howth, Sutton, Donaghmede, Coolock is very bad the last year (particularly on the weekends)

Once you get past the canal and if you avoid the quays, for the most part traffic around the city centre isn't to bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't agree with his argument but why are you only highlighting the cyclist figures and not the pedestrians? Pedestrians were many multiples of the cyclist figures

The costs of building metros are high, but they're also quite clearly achievable when you look at what else has been done elsewhere.

As for bankrupting the city? It's going to bankrupt itself the way things are going as it's not capable of being accessed most of the day.

What's driving shopping out to the suburbs is bad planning and the city centre not really offering enough attractive options for not just shopping, but leisure and lifestyle and being a livable space.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, they were, but all I was doing was highlighting his nonsensical use of statistics to grandstand.

That my rebuttal was also nonsensical was the point.

A quick search suggests 10 years to build and €10 billion to construct, which in real terms probably means €20 billion..

The city is accessible by the large numbers of residents who live there and who can access a Bus/Luas/Dart/Bicycle/Taxi..

It will bankrupt itself by being polluted and choked by private vehicles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A bit disingenuous use of statistics by the RSA. 13% increase when compared to a year when there was much reduced traffic for a large part of the year.

If a more honest comparison is made with the 2019 figures there has been very little if any change.

Misleading the public doesn't do the RSA any favours.

Yet, pretty much every other city in Europe of the scale of Dublin can manage to do something somewhat metro-like.

I mean, we're not going to need something on the scale of London or Paris, but we should be at least aiming for something equivalent to Lyon or Amsterdam, or even Bordeaux would be significantly more than what we have now.

I don't really see what the unique problems Dublin seems to think it has are, other than no local government.

We're not planning adequately at all. The problems are only going to get worse, because unless the economy collapses entirely the cities are going to keep growing.

I'd have to disagree with you on this one, Buses are to slow. Again, they are stuck in crazy suburban traffic, have routes that go into every housing estate, stop every 500 yards

Buses are grand for like 10 min journeys, Say for example Kimmage to Rathmines, or Donneybrook to Dundrum. Journeys such as Ballyboden to City centre are not at all suitable.

Urban segregated rail is pretty much proven at this point to be the most effective way to move people around.

If you ban cars from town, the junkies will take over in a matter weeks (remember lock down?)

It's an unusual problem, we know now that the money is there for a project like this, but there is something stopping it from starting.

No reason why Buses can't have bus only roads extending all over the greater Dublin/Cork/Galway area...they have them in the Netherlands extending out from residential to commercial estates...

I think larger mass transit such as rail works great for high density Cities and towns which we just don't have in Ireland...

Many of these cities were bombed during WW2 and completely rebuilt, most were designed with wide large roads in the 60's and 70's before being re-designed for mass transit, whereas in Dublin it's basically built on top of a medieval city, so like I said I'm sure it can be done but will take decades, cost 10's of billions and the level of disruption to the city will close many businesses and exclude all traffic during it's construction..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The biggest delay to buses are the private cars that frequently abuse bus lanes and the vans and trucks that frequently use bus lanes as loading bays.

There were more drivers killed in 2021 than 2022, despite your ‘much reduced traffic’.

The increase in deaths of older road users in particular in 2022 should not be ignored.

Some cities were - they’re mostly in central and Eastern Europe though. I mean if you look at Brussels, Rotterdam or some of those cities that were very badly hit in the Benelux - there was major rebuilding done, obviously many German cities were flattened, but plenty got away with relatively superficial damage and were absolutely not completely rebuilt or were quite painstakingly reconstructed without changing their layouts much.

If you look at most French cities, they’re as or a lot more historic than Dublin and most Spanish cities have extremely old centres, yet have metros. They’re just planned better.

Cities like Amsterdam were damaged but they weren’t rebuilt with wide avenues or any of that. The metro was threaded underneath and the trans are woven into the streets.

If anything, Dublin actually looks like it was damaged sometimes. If you look at the layouts of the city around the Dublin 8 or similar the council just demolished a lot of history.

Also what aspect of Dublin is medieval?! (other than maybe the public transit system.)

It’s got a few specific sites here and there but they’re very limited and don’t form any kind of mesh do streets. It’s mostly Georgian at the fancier core and then has a lot of Victorian or Edwardian era stuff.

There’s practically no medieval aspects left at all. What was there like around Fishamble Street and Christchurch was mostly cleared and widened decades ago.

Dublin certainly isn’t York or something like that with the mesh of genuinely medieval streets.

It absolutely is not an example of a medieval city. It’s more of a mishmash of relatively more modern stuff from the Georgian era onwards.

Kilkenny might have more claim to that medieval heritage.

Ireland seems to suffer from a form of exceptionalism that means things don’t get done because “we’re special”. We are just bad at urban design and planning because we put none of the structures in place to do it properly.

It won’t happen because there’s no political will to make it happen and because there’s nothing in terms of council and mayoral structures that exist in continental or North American cities. So the projects are never driven though.

So, underneath Dublin city core it's built on a mesh of old basements, drainage/sewage pipes, the River Poddle...

So basically this is what Dublin's central core looks like underground: http://www.hidden-dublin.com/poddle/poddle_pictures.html

Whilst an underground rail is possible it will cost many €Billions and many many years to construct.. and why does a central metro need to be underground when Bus only core city streets can be created with some paint and signs now?

We can't hide all public transit under the ground just to keep the roads free for Motorcars..

Well good luck with that one. It hasn’t got public support and simply won’t happen. We’ll be waffling asking the same questions in 2073 while the city centre is unchanged and clogged with EVs or whatever is around then.

You also seem to be of the impression there’s nothing under other cities in Europe. Many of them are far older than Dublin and had huge medieval and commonly Roman underpinnings, plenty also have much more complex settings e.g networks of canals and marches or have dealt all sorts of challenges, yet put in metros somehow.

Dublin simply cannot grow beyond a certain size without putting in infrastructure as it will choke. Light on street bus networks can’t carry the volumes of people you would need to get in and out of a large financial centre for example and running metro level of frequencies on streets would be pretty unpleasant.

The other option would be a Vancouver like sky train solution but I can’t see anyone wanting something like the Luas bridge in Dundrum strung around the city centre. We have to protect that gloriously flat skyline.

Eccentricity of island exceptionalism. We’re more like the Brits than we care admit.

• Advertisement

"We’ll be waffling asking the same questions in 2073 while the city centre is unchanged and clogged with EVs or whatever is around then."

I would say by then most of Dublin city centre would be underwater due to climate change the rise of sea levels and "oh do you remember the Ice-Caps and Glaciers?"....

Quite likely tbh. It’s not like we’re going to build the sea defences until we’re at least shoulder deep. It’s unimaginably complex strategic planning.

We also can’t be building a metro because people are a bit snobby about talking the bus.

We kind of already have that in Fairview at the moment, and it's not working out well.

I've avoided the area for the last 12 months as indeed many other people have, yet buses are still slow because of an underlying design issue/choke point at Clearlys pub (road not wind enough under bridge)

Not to mention the irritation for residents. Like, wouldn't like to wake up tomorrow to discover that the Howth road is now a bus only road inbound. I don't use it ever during rush hour, but the traffic has to go somewhere and it's likely it will backup on the Raheny Rd, Tonlegee Rd, Clontarf Rd... in turn making locals life miserable.

I suppose there's a difference between delay and expectations on efficiency

This is the start swords express route, from the most populated area in Swords and the area with the most housing developments happening there.

It is not direct and it's slow, easily 1 minute per stop of people getting on. The bus is rarely held up by cars.

Stop to Stop it's around 50 mins to town via the Tunnel. This is private, revenue driven service, so I get that they try to catch as many areas as they can.

The 41c is the second option. It's a bit more direct, but it goes into the fricken airport. Journey time is easily 1 hour 20 mins to town (that is seriously slow for a more direct route). The buses are blocked by cars and vans for sure but not to the extent where they add more that 10% onto the Journey time. They're more frequently slowed down by cyclists and blocked by other buses, We've bus congestion now on many bus corridors, which is unusual.

Compare that with a similar distance on rail (The Dart from Malahide), 30 mins into town. With a train every 10 mins that can transport between 4 and 6 times the amount of passengers a Bus can (depending on how you count). It's far more environmentally friendly, more comfortable and more reliable. Like there is literally no comparison.

I do take you're point though that from time to time people are little feckers and will park in the bus lane or use it to turn left way before the left turn etc. But that's just people, and people are crap, there is no way to eliminate that. We need the Rail transport, It's nothing to do with snobbery. like 1 hour 20 mins to traverse 13km as the crow flys is not workable.

We could eliminate the little feckers with some proper enforcement, ideally by automatic cameras. Imagine if very time a bus driver comes up behind a car scooting in the bus lane or a van or truck unloading in a bus lane, they could press a button, and the owner would get a fine and a couple of points?

Enforcement is the biggest problem of all. Like I think there is more chance of a Metro being built than Bus Drivers being allowed to hand out fines by pressing a button. Can you imagine the legal mess it would create.... 🤮

What legal mess? Drivers wouldn’t be handing out fines. They would be reporting an offence, bit like the speed van. The Gardai would hand out points and fines, which could be disputed in Court, just like speeding fines.

I don't know the legal frame work around the speed vans, does a member of the Garda have to review every video of a person breaking the speed limit?

Just cant see it happening, there aren't enough Garda to review/enforce. Would the bus drivers even bother? Like their Job is to drive the bus not report people. Dublin bus are struggling to hire Bus drivers as it is. I think the Bus thing has gotten as good as it's gonna get, there is no way to make meaningful improvements at this stage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The technology is there and cost inexpensive. The only resistance to bus lane cameras and the likes, to my knowledge, is AGS (who don't want to be bothered having to police traffic-related stuff) and the Dept of Justice (who don't want to hand over an element of power to civilians).

• Advertisement

It's still a construction site, and I've been through the area by Bus and Bicycle both aren't pleasant options, there's still a high volume of private motor vehicles travelling through there, don't know where they're going as locals in that area have the Dart, multiple bus routes plus it's close enough to walk into say the IFSC for work...and very few employers in the city provide free parking so who's driving all these cars?

Once construction is finished I'd imagine bus times will improve, and maybe by then there will be a congestion charge for crossing the canal into the city..

Advertisement