Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on PVC Windows - Wexford Area

Options
  • 05-05-2023 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im hoping I can get some advice on UPVC winodws and doors.

Ive spoke to a number of companies around Wexford, as thats where my property is, and I have had prices from 12k up to 19k.

The company at the higher end is K&K windows, which are advising they use a much higher grade systems - Kommerling specifically. They advise their windows will last for a lot longer etc. compared to a standard PVC window. Ill only really know this in 15-20 years time.

My question, generally speaking, is there much of a difference between PVC window providers these days? Is there justification for spending an extra 5-k on an apartent longer lasting window?

I would have thought with the progress on PVC winodws over recent years, all would be fairly similar standard, or close.

Any other feedback very much welcome.. or anicdotal experiences with Window companies in around Wicklow / Wexford area :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭superd1978

For the benefit of anyone who might read this looking for similar information. Having talked to a repair guy i.e. no skin in the game, he advised all standard PVC winodws are pretty much like for like, so theres no real justification for paying inflated prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I know some people who have used K+K who were very happy with them, especially in relation to meeting deadlines and lack of mess/damage when windows were removed and new ones installed. That certainty level was good for them although I don’t temper them feeling that they were paying extra for the windows.

Realistically, i don’t think anyone can say that all upvc windo systems are the same and it will come down to the mechanisms used. Quality ones will likely cost more than basic ones. Are the simple casement windows or do you have tilt/slide mechanisms? The latter will very much have variable quality and it matters. Likewise if you have large patio type doors or sliding mechanisms or bi-folds.

I’d also say a repair guy gets more work from less effective mechanisms than good ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭superd1978

Advertisement