Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I haven`t attributed any statements to you.

It was your statement that the only alternative was co-operation on emissions and carbon accountancy,(and assuming you meant at a global level), without which we were all doomed. I have just been pointing out the realities to you.

On your bugbear of Irish agriculture, with global demand for meat to rise by 14% between now and 2030, the only accountancy other countries are doing is how to boost their agri sector and their economies to take advantage. Here greens are attempting a poinless exercise in the name of global emissions and carbon accountancy that would achieve nothing other than wrecking our agri sector and a major hit to our economy.

On coal I have shown you, that at the very least, the governments of 40% of the global population do not give a toss for co-operation on emissions or carbon accouncancy. Their priority is their economic wel-lbeing. One of them representing close to 20% of global population being a world leader in producing green tech, and projected to become even more so.

Even when you look at the EU, where by their carbon accountancy, the 60% of their renewable energy is credited to the burning of wood and biomass is supposedly carbon neutral is a farce.When we see on our own doorstep the laughable accountancy of 34% of generated electricity magically becoming 100% through the multiple usage of the so called EU Guaranteed Green Energy Certificates, the 22% accountancy figure of renewables from wind and solar are also looking a bit dodgy.

If you are looking for global co-operation on emissions and carbon accountancy then maybe interpretative dance festivals may actually be an idea. It`s not as if globally there is much evidence of any great appetite for this co-operation and accountancy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The yellow line is the forecasted wind, the blue one is actual generation which is subject to grid constraints.

Demand is also up and down like a yoyo. But you can use the wind forecast to save fuel by not running all the thermal plant all the time.

Interesting though to compare 38% actual with the 30% capacity factor...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Why is our power price so high with all this "zero marginal cost" electricity? Are we being ripped off by the renewable companies? Of course we are, and I don't particularly care about "EU rules" or any of that rubbish as Germany has just showed that energy costs remains a competence of individual states

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Dairy and cereals in 2022 seen price rises, and seems it's something else this year (sugar and rice)

Yet, us here and the EU in general are pursuing a strategy to produce less in order to feed a growing population.

First of all there is no such thing as climate change denial folks. Everybody knows climate change is sure thing, it has been with us since like forever.

There are several regular posters on this thread who claim it's not real.

• Advertisement

Aye, inflation has caused the price of things in general to go up, all the things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Really? I hadn't noticed. Who are they? Are you sure you're not including "solutions denialists" ... that being the euphemism coined by the Greens to denigrate anyone who doesn't agree with their impractical policy responses?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's exactly what it is. I'm in the camp of reducing emissions where we can but we have to be realistic both economically and practically. On the money side, if we continue to push for 2030 with all these crazy schemes we are going to do a lot of harm to the economy. Practically, we can't reach the goals being set because the technology isn't there to do it on the scale required. This loops back to the first point because if all of Europe is diving head long into this craziness then we have a "gold rush" ready made whereby we'll be digging up pyrite thinking we've hit the jackpot when in actual fact we'll have spent countless billions on tech that will not work for us while continuing to grow our energy use and economies.

I suspect that deep down even the most ardent greenies know this but as they say you can't reason a person out of a position they haven't reasoned themselves into.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Now it seems that wind turbines are drying out land. WTF

EDIT: This seems to be some anti climate goon peddling this shite

Post edited by roosterman71 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It is real.

What is unreal is that several regular posters believe that it can be changed or reversed.

Some sort of a god complex I think.

About costs rising?

This should worry you so

The Government has been warned that climate change will lead to significant rises in the cost of home and commercial property insurance, as the current model for assessing flood risk is no longer workable.

Fine Gael Minister of State for Agriculture Martin Heydon, is in Washington at the Agricultural Innovation Mission for Climate (AIM4C) Summit is expected to say that Ireland “recognises that climate change is one of the greatest challenges we face globally, and that tackling it requires international collaboration”. He's also announcing a significant increase in spending on research to reduce agri emissions

“Ireland previously committed to increasing investment in climate-smart agriculture and food systems research by 40 per cent over the period from 2021 to 2025. At this summit, I am announcing our intention to further increase this, to 60 per cent,” Mr Heydon is expected to tell the conference. “Our increased ambition will provide for an increase of just under €9.5 million compared to 2020, and it will bring our total investment in climate-related research to over €25 million out to 2025.″

However, he is also likely to argue that “even more science, research, and innovation in our food production systems (is needed) to ensure not only that we continue to produce food but also that we do so more sustainably”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Whopee. We are going to show the Americans how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Remember this from 2009,2023 and the greens are at it again.

Diesel switch cheers Greens

THE Green Party has said the swing towards buying energy efficient diesel cars confirms that “green policies do work”.

FRI, 06 NOV, 2009 - 00:00

Taking credit for the success of the VRT regime introduced last year which awards drivers for buying low-emission cars, the party’s transport spokesman said drivers have changed their behaviour because of Environment Minister John Gormley’s policy changes.

A new report by Sustainable Energy Ireland shows that in the second half of last year, 73% of new car purchases were in the most efficient bands – A, B and C. In contrast, in the first six months of 2006, just 43% of car purchases were in this low emissions bracket.

Despite lower vehicle sales in the first half of 2009, the shift towards more efficient cars has held steady, with energy-efficient cars comprising 78% of new cars sold and diesel cars comprising 56% of new cars sold.

According to the SEI Energy in Transport 2009 report, there has not been a move towards smaller engine sizes. Instead, there has been a marked shift towards diesel-fuelled cars, with diesel cars doubling their share of sales between the first and second halves of 2008.

It was also revealed that the downturn in construction led to a 6.7% decrease in road freight activity after many years of growth.

The number of vehicles on Irish roads continues to grow with almost 2.5 million vehicles recorded in 2008, a 2.3% increase on 2007. The majority of vehicles were private cars, accounting for 77% in 2008, while goods vehicles comprised 14% of the total vehicle fleet.

SEI head of strategy, Dr Brian Motherway said that transport accounts for more than one third of Ireland’s primary energy demand.

“The car tax changes have altered our car-buying patterns, and we expect to see this holding firm when the sector recovers and purchasing grows.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Typical of those in Government, "Do as we say, not as we do.."

A "Green" T.D who took a 2 day cross-country trip to avoid a 2 hour flight actually has a private pilot's licence!!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/my-secrets-out-green-td-who-refuses-to-fly-for-climate-reasons-admits-he-has-pilots-licence/a48568244.html

He also has a driving licence 😲 lol

Mr Leddin added: “Now my secret is out, many people will find it extraordinary that I have a pilot’s licence but won’t even get on a plane as a passenger.

“I haven’t flown in a long time. I definitely don’t suggest to anybody that they shouldn’t fly, or that it’s the wrong thing to do. And trains are mostly good fun – very comfortable and with good Wi-Fi so you can work away.

“But the reason I don’t fly is because of climate and emissions – and I have made the same decision about driving, by the way. So far for me it has been possible to travel more slowly, and I would recommend trying it. But I would also understand that different people have different needs and it mightn’t work for everybody.”

Not comparable in my view. You can live without insurance. You can live without a streaming service, a phone, a car, a holiday. You can't live without food. While the population grows, we're trying to cut production which will drive price of food up (no bad thing in my view)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He doesn't fly anymore. He is literally doing what he says.

More businesses getting solar up and running. This time its the Griffin Hotel Group who are setting up their own solar farm which is planned to generate enough power for their 3 hotels

Next up the Tipperary Boutique Distillery, which reckons the investment will be paid off in 5 years

I know the govt changed the target for 5GW of solar from 2030 to 2025. I don't know if it'll be hit, but at the rate these roll outs are going, they won't be far off it, if indeed, they don't blow right past it

We'll shortly see a big program of works to install them on school roofs all over the country too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭prunudo

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but it seems that there was much greater disruption and damage due to flooding in the past. Open to correction don't recall any major flooding in the last 3 or 4 winters.

Post edited by prunudo on

Virtue signalling at it's finest i'm sure...

Isn't it great that he had 2 days to get back from what was probably a taxpayer funded junket to a conference, most employers want staff back in the office the next day...

No rush to get to the Dail either so can afford to get multiple connections and take hours to get into "The office"...

You don't like that

• He has a pilots licence
    • He has a drivers licence
    • Doesn't fly
    • Doesn't drive
    • Was delayed by a train and missed a boat

Did I miss anything?

Guy who drove his car everywhere, and travelled by plane, including in his own aircraft gets a "Green" T.D job, now doesn't have to fly or drive thanks to the wonderful hours he's operating for the past 3 years is suddenly a climate hero eh?

Just like when the party leader flew all over the far east sending thousands of tonnes of extra C02 into the air... so go ahead justify that as well..

Lol, this is hilarious, your posts have been the funniest rant I've read in ages

Ranting because he has a pilots licence but doesn't fly and then ranting that he took too long because he didn't fly then ranting about another lad taking the quickest route to the far east

Funniest.shiz.evar!! 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Swear to god, HILARIOUS stuff!

Are you happy I made you so giddy?

Don't remember ranting, do remember pointing out how the Greens tell us to sell our ICE cars and stop flying... maybe we should all get cushy jobs and not be under pressure to get to places by the most effective means..

Was it essential that these "Green" ministers travelled all over the world by Jet and had their carbon footprints increased by thousands of tonnes? No..

Anyhow, you better not reply to anymore of my posts or you'll have yourself "an accident" from being so giddy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Just like when the party leader flew all over the far east sending thousands of tonnes of extra C02 into the air... so go ahead justify that as well..

Oh come now! He already provided the justification for that ... he has to be able to talk to "other global leaders" about climate change. And if we're going to indulge such delusions of self-importance, there's a global leader in prawn and avocado salad on the Algarve that I have to consult with regularly. Fair's fair, right? Not to mention that prawn and avocado salad isn't nearly as easy to do by video conference as Eamon Ryan's conflabs. 🤣

It'll be interesting to see how this is performed. I wonder if we'll get to see the assessments

All memos brought to cabinet now have to be proofed against their climate impact, under new procedures formally approved by the government.

As part of the Climate Action Plan, an overhaul of the way the government integrates climate considerations into its work has been promised. When the cabinet meets every week, memoranda on important government business are drafted by individual departments for consideration and ultimate approval by government. This, in many cases, is how policy passes from ministerial proposal to executive action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭prunudo

Advertisement