Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, it looked bad but the highlights didn't show anyone being carded. No idea why the URC are so parsimonious with the highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Did they sign a TV deal giving some broadcasted exclusive rights to do highlights longer than 2 minutes or something (and the broadcaster just isn't doing it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The two-minute reel is only for YouTube. You can get extended highlights, usually 7-8 minutes, on URC.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Skimming back through the game I gotta say Harry was very very good. Looking more and more like the player he was on his upward trajectory a few seasons back.

Flawless off the tee, bullishly physical in D and when he moved to 12 too. I think someone like Ngatais value is fully apparent playing outside someone like Harry. Took a lot on himself too when required.

In terms of managing the game it was a mature performance too from HB. Tried to play in the right areas. Looked to exploit Mapimpis wing when he was off - which resulted in the lovely cross field kick.

There is significant merit in starting him against Munster IMO. But I think the smart money is on Ross starting.

Tough one for Leo et al to manage this week. How best do you rotate the squad to be at their peak for LAR while still performing against Munster. TBH Ross is one of the players I'd be less worried about coming in "cold". He's been the orchestrator in chief for Leinster this season

Beyond Leinster, we've gone from a "who" in the post Sexton question to Ross Byrne having a very good six nations and now being the 'great rested one' at URC level with Harry very much comfortable running the show and Prendergast being bled into the team. Importantly, Crowley had a superb performance against Glasgow so generally the "who" question has now become the "which".

• Advertisement

La Rochelle will be sending out the Espoirs this weekend anyway, after beating Toulon last weekend the result of their final game is pretty much irrelevant now, so they'll be having a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

4 days out. I can't wait to see the team. There should be a great atmosphere at the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I reckon the last thing Ross Byrne wants now is the 22/23 season to end.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The latest injury update has been issued. Joe McCarthy got through the game fine and is available for selection. Ronan Kelleher is also available for this weekend.

Henshaw and Lowe have stepped up their rehab and a final decision will be made closer to kick off.

Penny failed his HIA and is following the RTPP.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's about as positive an update as you could hope for all things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

disagree - he has either been injured or just the byrnes needed the game time.

Good news on Lowe, I think he should play this week if he's available, think he might be someone you ideally wouldn't throw into the Euro final cold?

No mention of James Ryan and his moon boot I notice.

All good news - "stepped up rehab and final decision closer to kick off" has generally meant good to go and probably playing this week.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Given Henshaws multiple "false starts" this season coming back from Injury I'd prefer they give him the extra week to be honest.

Having said that , Ngatai is a more than able alternative.

Would like to see Lowe get 30 minutes off the bench just to confirm he's up to speed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Peyper allows a free for all at rucks. Generally that's a good thing for Leinster, but considering how La Rochelle contest them, I'm not sure if this helps or hinders us.

LAR took the absolute piss at ruck time last season. We're the furthest thing from saints on the matter but they did it to a whole new level.

Extremely smart play by them but with the sheer size of their lads lying the wrong side of the ball or coming in at funny angles it was definitely the difference maker for them last year.

It was very much par the course of how Barnes refs the game though.

Peyper is cut from a similar cloth I feel.

LAR are that bit wilier in their ruck shenanigans and Jaco will suit them better I feel

Maybe I'm being naive but I honestly don't feel something like this will decide it. We'll either show up and click or we won't.

They were the much better side last year on the day, and we had one of our poorer performances of the season, with a few really uncharacteristic errors. Despite that, they won by a score, with a try on the last play of the game (when if Barnes gave Ala'alatoa the obvious penalty it was game over).

I'm not underestimating them or not paying them the respect they're due, but I 100% feel the winning or losing of this game is absolutely in Leinster's hands. They're a quality side, but if we're at our best we've too much for them.

That's not good at all , LAR will be coming in at the side and lying on the ball all day long..

Looking at that update and in trying to keep things fresh I think we could see some rotation.

Porter, Kelleher, Ala'alatoa

Molony McCarthy

Baird, Conan, VDF

JGP, Byrne

Ngatai, Ringrose

DK, JOB, TOB

Sheehan, Milne, Tadgh, Jenkins, Connors, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe/ Henshaw

Some seriously tough calls to be made.

I'm accounting for some week too soon fellas as well as the cloak and daggers stuff around Ryan.

Very little useful info to go by in the training pics today.

This is a bad appointment for Leinster imo. LaR made absolute mincemeat of Exeter at the rucks with Peyper reffing and they were wildly illegal at basically every ruck, which they kept going with because they kept getting away with it. Leinster live and die by the quickest possible ball.

• Advertisement

Exactly, Skelton joined virtually every ruck about half way up the side and hinged around to slow the ball and wasn't pinged once.

Hopefully Leinster send a highlights package to him this week showing all the stuff he missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Watch one of our players get sent off for an overly aggressive clear out attempt, because Peyper is letting LAR do whatever they want

• Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think this is actually a good appointment for leinster. while peyper certain errs on the more lenient side of the law around ruck time, hes certainly not slow to brandish a yellow or red card. LAR are the worst offenders for penalties in the competition, and that trend is going to continue in the final due to teh pressure leinster will put them under. Peyper has no problem showing a yellow for consistent penalties, or subsequent yellows where warranted, where other refs might be swayed by the occasion and keep their cards in their pockets. Leinster certainly have the ability to break the LAR line so any deliberate slowing up of the ball by LAR will see a player have a 10 min break.

Im much happier with this appointment than if it had been given to barnes again.

I watched the game again because it's been the guts of a year since and time can be really helpful when I'm trying to suppress memories...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oWgE1jWqZY

And I'm actually a bit raging watching it back. We were absolutely hard done by at the breakdown.

We had 2 extremely soft pens for not rolling away in the first half. Player clearly trapped in there and no material impact on the speed of the ruck. It was just slow ball. Fine - can live with those. But for LAR to not get pinged once for the same offence was just one eyed. Literally the entire game they weren't penalised for not rolling. There was 64 Leinster rucks that day. Balance of probability does not stack up that they rolled away from every single one.

Second half we notably changed our ruck efforts off the back of these pens. Leave em alone. The issue there was LAR got lightning quick ball and STILL weren't pinged for not rolling despite multiple instances of it

Then Molony gets pinged for not rolling when big Mike gets a clear as day steal. That was a CALAMITOUS decision. Especially when you factor in LAR got 3 points straight after half time for the exact same thing. Tackler prevented a proper clear out on the (from the side) jackaler. Ross in no way impacted the clear out of Big Mike. Absolute shocker there. From there the ball didn't leave the 22 for the next 8 minutes until the final whistle.

And THEN to allow LAR away with pre latches and sealing from there on in was just diabolical. 37 phases LAR had from the pen on 72 mins to the try they scored. 30 of these were pick and jams. This was negative kick **** rugby with LAR swimming on top of their ball carrier in 7 difference instances that I could see.

While I'm still **** on the ref. Aldritt was allowed to twice play the arm of JGP despite being nowhere near on his feet. Like not even close.

So looking at it.... I don't think Peyper let's a team do what LAR did for 8 minutes like that.

And just to balance it out because it wasn't all down to Barnes... we were just inaccurate that day. We had 4 entries to their 22 and came away with no tries. Leinster scored a try in every game last season except for this one. Stuff just did not click. LAR shut us down in the right areas and the big moments you need to go your way in a final just did not go our way.

We also could count ourselves lucky in the scrum. I think we definitely got away with a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No giving that pen to Al'alatoa is up there with Owens blowing up Jack McGrath vs NZ. Atrocious call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's mad, the unshakeable conviction that every refs is sh1t and every ref will ride us all day long. Every ref has some quirk which remarkably suits whoever we're playing in that particular game.

Peyper is a very good referee, one of the best in the world. No matter who was named, people would be pissing and moaning.

Right or wrong though, when you get to the sharp end of things and you have two teams that are pretty close in terms of ability, the results very often come down to a few instances of human error - Whether that's a brain fade from a player or an error from a referee.

It's almost inevitable that people are going to envisage where a referees known quirks/habits might create one of those scenarios that change the outcome of the game.

What happened to Henshaw? I remember he broke a finger months ago!

Agree with this but, we can't afford mistakes. To say the mistakes last year were uncharacteristic is putting it mildly.

Remember, RB was awful in his cameo. He will look to make amends.

• Advertisement

It's up to Leinster to play Peyper. Get in his ear about the rucks. Play like La Rochelle at the rucks. If we don't know Peyper well by now....

Advertisement