Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,316 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Precedent is to suspend, right? Fine the owner too, ban him from the stadium for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,821 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hopefully Jokic just gets a warning but i can see them suspending him. The state of the flop then and then Joker getting interviewed after the game asked why he went to get the ball and not let the ref get it. Jesus, the players have to put up with some shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭johnnyk29

I think so I think the fact he elbowed him ...if he had just grabbed the ball I think the NBA would leave it but I reckon he will be lucky to avoid getting 1 game which I don't agree with but unfortunately I think will happen ....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,690 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Imo he wouldn't be suspended if it wasn't someone important. A player is allowed take the ball from a fan, the fan refused to let go which is imo the antagonising incident. I don't think Jokic reacts badly enough for suspension.

You were right, just fined 25k.no suspension thankfully as the Suns/Nuggets series is a great watch

• Advertisement

Well it’s good he wasn’t suspended

Great news regarding Jokic...getting suspended for that would have been one for the ICC.

Anyway, onto tonight...

I don't think I've gotten a single prediction correct during these playoffs so...

CONGRATS TO THE KNICKS & WARRIORS.

I've taken Heat -4.5 and Jimmy Buckets over 22.5pts doubled with Lakers -2.5, Curry over 23.5pts and over 222.5 total points.

I think both Miami and LA go 3-1 up tonight (last time the Warriors beat the Lakers in LA was the opener of the 21/22 season:O..both will be very close games though expecting big games from Butler and AD

• Registered Users Posts: 38,290 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just don't know how anyone can predict with any confidence which AD will show up.

I think his defensive presence in the paint is enough for the Lakers. He is making the warriors, when he is on the floor,settle for jump shots and rushing their offence.

Miami up at the moment in the other game. Bam playing very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,290 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah it's a good game, Adebayo having a very good night, Butler heating up.

I think it'll end up a very close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

They didn’t suspend Jokic at least but giving him $25,000* and not imposing any sanction on Ishbia is farcical. If that was some random fan he’d be thrown out of the stadium, because he’s an owner he’s untouchable apparently.

He deliberately held onto the ball and delayed play. Jokic got a T (not rescinded btw) and the Suns got a 1 point FT. Imagine if they lost by 1?

They’re on very dodgy ground here by not at least publicly warning Ishbia about this - he should be fined and suspended imo, not z Jokic, Sets a very dangerous precedent. Imagine if it was the last minute of the game and we have an owner grab the ball like that and stop play, or gets an opposing player ejected (second T, or straight ejection depending on what happened) for trying to grab the ball?

The NBA has gotten this one badly wrong IMO.

*I know it’s peanuts to him but he shouldn’t be fined at all.

That was one of the dumbest questions I’ve ever heard. Jokic’s facial expressions when asked were hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just to play devils advocate, Jokic didn’t need to go get the ball, I only watched it once but it didn’t look like the owner wasn’t giving it back, he was looking at his player and got surprised when Jokic went for ball but it’s all handbags and so irrelevant, if he got suspended it would f been a complete farce, it’s just the media trying to create a story

Watch it again, there’s more to it than that to be fair to Jokic.

Warriors putting it up to LA it seems. I really felt this was going to be 2-2 after 4, hope I’m right on that. I’m bed so only following the score online, not actually watching it,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Intense game, curry putting the team on his back but might not be enough, warriors can’t buy a foul

What a win!! Lakers dug to the core of the earth for that in the 4th. And they did it with AD anonymous for much of the second half. Lonnie Walker with a huge performance off the bench. Gritty stuff, LeBron out on his feet.

Lakers getting it done in the second half with AD a non entity offensively and Russell doing NOTHING speaks to them being better than many think imo.

Curry was magnificent, didn’t get enough help.

What a game...Surely the end of the Warriors season now can't see them winning 3 against this Lakers team

As LuckyL said Lonnie Walker was the difference like Shamet for the suns yesterday

Just watched extended highlights.

The FT disparity was once again shockingly in favour of one team.......LeBron alone took 6 more Free Throws than the entire Warriors team. Over the series the Lakers have taken 52 more Free Throws than the Warriors, and 51 more in their 3 wins - and average of 17 more FTs each win.

Steph's last 3 over Davis was way too early in the shot clock and looked a little rushed and unnecessarily deep, very much felt like the one he took v Love in Game 7 of the 2016 Finals. I feel a bit weird criticizing the greatest shooter ever after a 30 point triple double, but it was a bad shot IMO.

• Advertisement

The FT disparity for this series is a direct function of game flow and style. LA are driving at the rim relatively much more than the Warriors, getting inside as much as possible; the Warriors by contrast are shooting far more outside. Allied to that, the Lakers have their hands up and visible all the time, and LeBron and AD are historically rarely in foul trouble their whole career. The Warriors by contrast, are relatively handsier on defense. LeBron has always had an ability to provide help and chase defense without fouling much.

These are follow ons from the regular season too, the Lakers were 2nd in Free Throw shooting during the regular season, the Warriors were 30th.

Whatever you are tends to get magnified in the playoffs. And yes, maybe the NBA might have motivations to be sympathetic to LeBron as a massive star. But not when he’s going against the other current universally beloved massive star of the game in Steph Curry. The free throw disparity just is what it is. It’s who these teams are.

Steph had a bad last 30 seconds, I think it's fair to say that. The long three over Davis was sub optimal (the pull up two was a good look, just didn't go) and he should have had the awareness to call timeout off the tip (he had a similar snafu versus Sacramento in the last series where he tried to call timeout when they had none left).

That said, these things wouldn't have happened if Steph wasn't as immense as he was. His jumper was off all night and yet he found a way to contribute a massive triple double. Real steel in the 4th when he managed to score key buckets inspite of being put in the washer on defense over and over. I have always thought we zero in way too much on the last couple of plays in games like these, and declare an individual performance good / bad on the basis of the team result. Klay had a miserable 41 minutes and Draymond took the wrong option on the last play that caused the tip once LeBron and AD had it covered.

The Lakers with an anaemic Davis (no offense in second half, no blocks across the whole game) and Russell (4 points in 31 minutes on 1 - 10 shooting) were there for the taking. Ham made some brilliant in game adjustments, and using guard screens with a spread floor in the 4th to target Curry gave them enough offense to get over the line. And again, Curry's defense is what it is. Getting cooked by Lonnie and LeBron is what happens if he is left isolated in space. Kerr needed to counter again in game. Curry defended as manfully as he could, and got one nice stop on LeBron worth noting.

The Warriors let this slip, as a team and a coaching staff. The only reason they nearly got the win they should have was off his back. I do think it's fair to point out Curry made some mistakes while also marvelling at another immense individual contribution. This loss wasn't on him.

Well to be fair it’s more than that, the Lakers have taken more than twice as many free throws since the missed call in the Boston game earlier this year. You know the one where the referees association said they would “have sleepless nights” over the missed call. I don’t ever recall them saying anything like that about another missed call for any player in league history btw.

Well I don't recall such an egregiously wrong call to decide a game, in fairness. And at the time, it was momentous for a Lakers team scratching to get into playoff contention.

The FT disparity was 20 - 12 last night specifically. I don't think the overall trend in the series should be surprising as I explained, but it didn't cost the Warriors the game last night.

The NBA is not rigging a series against Steph Curry and a hugely popular team like the Warriors. There is no conspiracy here. Warriors need to drive at the rim more and keep their hands up and visible on defense. That's the fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Corvo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I know it's a nba thread but I thought I'd share that ESPN are going to be showing Euroleague from next year on which is great news for European teams. Also, if anyone is interested there are two very good game 5s (el has 5 game series) quarter-finals this evening and tomorrow evening.

GS have opened -7 for Wednesday night. Which tells me this series is very much live. 

Feels like Lakers in 6 or GS in 7. And neither would surprise me tbh. 

I think your Lakers will finish it off in Los Angeles Lucky and it could even end in San Fran if the Lakers get out to a fast start... Warriors relying too much on Curry with Poole/Klay gone cold....

All defensive teams named today ...

First Team

Forward: Jaren Jackson Jr., Grizzlies

Forward: Evan Mobley, Cavaliers

Guard: Jrue Holiday, Bucks

Guard: Alex Caruso, Bulls

Center: Brook Lopez, Bucks

Second Team

Forward: Draymond Green, Warriors

Forward: OG Anunoby, Raptors

Guard: Derrick White, Celtics

Guard: Dillon Brooks, Grizzlies

Center: Bam Adebayo, Heat

• Advertisement

I didn't see much of Caruso this year, did he deserve to get in?

Advertisement