Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ducting requirements for new connection?

Options
  • 09-05-2023 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

After reading some threads here where installers did not install I am wondering since I am currently renovating an old house what is the actual requirement for connection to a home for future proofing?

Do they need a telecom box or is that only for new homes that cable runs underground?

What about homes that connect needs to come over head? Is a duct from inside to the outside of the house all that's required or does the duct need to be in a certain room of the house or can it be anywhere like from outside to attic.

If I put a duct on the side of the house closet to the fiber pole with the duct going into the attic is that enough?. I would prefer not to have cables running down the wall and have the entry point being the attic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

I brought mine to the attic , when the installer came he said he could'nt go into the attic for insurance reasons so I ran the inside bit myself.

I'd say he was full of shite, he just wanted to drill through the wall , terminate it and go home (he didnt want to use the duct either out of pure laziness)

I pulled in a good few extra meters of fiber and left them coiled up in case I wanted to mover the router (which I did).

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭grimeire

Stupid question, So you got it into the attic but the guy didn't terminate it or does the fiber guy just run the cable and someone else connects it/terminates?

Did you just have a duct going from outside to the attic or a Telecom box on the other side of the attic wall?

Did he need to add a mount outside if it was ran from pole? I would prefer the installer would not have to go up on a ladder or roof. A few years back I had an sky dude break over 10 250+ year old slates on the roof fitting the dish. Trying to find the slates to replace was not easy or cheap.

My attic had attic trusses with ply floor so you can stand in so hopefully won't encounter laziness like you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

I went into the attic and pulled the fiber up the duct while he fed it in.

duct went from the pole to the house & up the wall and into the attic.

I pulled it across the attic and fed it down a conduit to the router position and he did the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭grimeire

Your a bit different than me.

My house is old so there is no ducting from the pole to the house and also the pole is on the other side of my neighbors driveway so cant see them digging up his drive way for a duct.

For me I assume they will just run a cable to the side of the house and need a duct then from the outside in.

Advertisement