Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Horse Deaths

Options

Comments

Horse deaths also happened due to those attention-seeking protesters that stormed the Grand National.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The thing is that when a horse cant race because of injury they arent retired to a field to see out their days. They are no longer useful so get a bullet

A horrific sport that only exists because of gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,506 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did the protestors trip up the horse?

The article you have alleges very little. Other than the delay itself being to blame, not any individual actions spooking a horse or something.

And if that's the case, the delay ended up killing a horse, well that sounds like it's worth investigating too - they're just so amped up for that race that when it didn't happen and their adrenaline crashed these horses were just too on the edge to compete? Doesn't that also speak to the danger horse races put them in, and warrant discussing the ethics behind all of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The worst form of cruelty to horses happens every day in every county in ireland when yobs on metal chariots whip horses up and down roads that do untold damage to horses legs and joints . Some of these horses die in these runs and are left at the side of the road to die .

Sulky racing on roads is ignored because a lawless section of our society are heavily involved . these horses are often illegally kept on council lands who also ignore this practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

If the sport didn't exist they wouldn't be bred in the first place, if animal lovers had their way in that it's wrong to kill animals full stop, there would be far less animals in the world, it's an obvious contradiction.

There would be far more antelope in the world if there weren't any lions, should all the lions be killed?

• Advertisement

Also not as prestigious and defended as horse racing in derbies. I'm not defending that kind of animal abuse you mention either. I'm piqued by how we western hemispherically inclined folks continue to let the derby racing and the gambling races go on, at the expense of 100's of deaths per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

That horse died because it was forced to jump over a large fence in amongst a crowd of 39 other horses

No other reason

People only ‘love animals’ that are cats or dogs.

Any other animal is pretty much fucked as far as humans go.

Cats, maybe. Selective breeding of dogs has them pretty much fucked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If they get eaten it's kinda fair enough. We kill several thousand animals every day for food. Some or part of which go to feed our other animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The amount of cruelty created by pet culture is probably the worst offender of any animal industry and yet animal rights activists have nothing to say because they probably all have dogs trapped at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

If horses can die because they are delayed racing 14 minutes, then it is insanely risky to have them race at all at a commerical event, that could need to be delayed for any number of reasons.

Sorry I have to laugh at the headline 'Trainer blames protestors for horse death' - yeah of course he does. Also the BHA executive says any delay is insanely dangerous - so if a delay happens then cancel the race for the welfare of the animals? I guess they had no choice but to continue the race as there was money to be made.

Animals slaughtered for food still aren’t put through that. These horses die in not just sheer terror but intense pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

If Horse Racing didn't exist then none of these horses would be alive in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The fences at the national don't need to be as big as they are, it's purely for entertainment value.

Horses existed lonnnnng before horse racing. And most horses alive in captivity today aren’t actually for racing.

If you’re saying we wouldn’t selectively breed for racing anymore? Good? Clearly there are errors with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a headache. please don't make it worse on me.

Would getting rid of jumps make it more safe and lessen the injuries of the horses?

Once again racing injuries don't really kill the animal. They are destroyed because they are useless to the owner and trainer.

Which only enhances the barbarism and cruelty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Are they not filtered down through the industry for bloodline and all the rest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on the injury. a leg break can be something a horse will not recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

These particular horses would not though would they?

So if you ban horse racing, a large number of those horses would not get a chance to exist at all, perhaps an entire category of horses.

Over the totality of the horses life, is the existence itself markedly crueler than a 'natural' life?

Is their existence that far removed from what might be experienced by a horse in a 'natural' life - and a 'natural' death, which we can expect would often be painful.

Doesn't seem so to me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If horses didn't want to run then they wouldn't run.

They are bred for it and love it.

In fact most of the horses are cared for better than humans.

All these activists should protest outside halting sites where real animal cruelty takes place.

Although they wouldn't have the balls to do that.

So if you ban horse racing, a large number of those horses would not get a chance to exist at all, perhaps an entire category of horses.

why do people keep making this argument? it's just weird.

Not all of them. Only the best of the best.

It's correct to say that a horse will be in too much pain after a leg break. It would be inhumane to try and out them out in a field after that. Yet we breed them to race knowing full well the injuries that can be caused.

I'd certainly advocate the removal of the jump season if it lessened injuries and deaths. It would be interesting to see the difference in the stats between the jumps and the flat. The Horse crowd won't want you to know that though.

A 3 year old article. But it speaks for itself in my opinion. Would it be a compromise for all? ban National Hunt which is 7 times more likely to cause a fatal injury than flat racing.

Keep flat racing.

I find it 'weird' people are concerned about these horses, yet think it is better if they never existed, which would be an inevitable consequence of banning horse racing for many of the horses.

So people keep making this argument because it hasn't been refuted.

Looking at the life of horse races, I haven't seen anyone produce anything to counter the point that their lives are worse than 'natural' lives, that their lives are so bad non existence would be better.

Given the mortality rate among racing horses what kind of life would that be?

Seen a video the other week of a fucked up pigeon. Selective breeding as I understand it.

“ah but if we don’t selectively breed them this little darling wouldn’t be alive” ehhh

again another instance of “ok good?”

They’re selectively bred now for traits breeders believe will result in shorter race times.

Natural wild horses yes they like to run but they aren’t trying to win races nor are they being ridden and cropped/whipped to go faster than they would otherwise on their own.

Horses in their natural habitat are prey animals. What's their mortality rate when they were being preyed upon by bears, wolves, cougars etc?

I'm comparing race horses lives and deaths with their natural environment.

If you have specific proposals for how to make horse racing safer for the horses, that is one thing, but I'm pointing out the inevitable consequences of any significant bans on horse racing - less such horses.

• Advertisement

I find it 'weird' people are concerned about these horses, yet think it is better if they never existed, which would be an inevitable consequence of banning horse racing for many of the horses.

yes, i think it would be better if they'd never existed. existence is not its own reward.

think of the untold misery you are causing by, for example, not breeding bears for bear pits. it's a truly bizarre argument to make.

Advertisement