Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Rawr

The more I learn about Steven Segal the more I wonder how he managed to spoof his way into fame in the first place. His Saturday Night Live gig is the stuff of TV Infamy, and beyond a handful of notable roles in the early 90s his filmography resembles an M50 made entirely of car-crashes.

There's also a good deal of doubt of his martial arts abilites with several conflicting accounts. Stuntmen hate working with him because he's too thickheaded to know how to throw a stage punch (a convincing fake punch with little contact), meaning he actually punches his own cast repeatedly. He seems to have an over inflated view of himself with an ego about as fragile as Trump's.

I think Russia are welcome to just hold onto him for the foreseeable. He can scrape some Rubles together making pro-Putin slokk that will only ever get a showing in Russian cinemas, and when the place disintergrates into civil war, we can get to see how tough this bell-end really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

They look like surveilance drones, but the Ukrainians are inventive...

They also use these What can a Black Hornet drone do? - YouTube

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

One of his movies was so bad he played an navy seal sniper,but spent the majority of the movie sitting on a stool, with he huge gut being hidden behind props on tables,while stunt doubles did his fight scenes in the dark ,

I used to like the original handful of movies where he actually brought realistic Martial arts fights to the scene ,

Somewhere along the way he well and truly fell down a rabbit hole

And yet weapons and munitions are only trickling in ,

Still doesn't explain your obsession lately with the "leaks " ,you single handledly mentioned the "Leaks " more than the rest of us combined,

So do ukraine have unlimited infinite supply of Air defense missles??

Meanwhile in Moscow the victory parade passed off ......

A solidary tank and other vehicles took part, putin is hoping nobody noticed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I didn't ask anything about Russia,

Are you able to answer the question,

Yes or no

The more I learn about Steven Segal the more I wonder how he managed to spoof his way into fame in the first place.

He was personal trainer to a powerful Hollywood agent. There is a rumor that the agent (Michael Ovitz) made a bet with someone that he could "make any asshole a star". Someone took the bet.

He's an awful person and most of what he said about himself in interviews - childhood, martial arts background etc - is a fabrication.

The issue they have with their air-defenses is that the backbone was a large number of S-300 and BUK systems, with several thousand missiles (at the beginning of the war). These are long and medium range systems, extremely effective. An S-300 recently held the world record for farthest surface-to-air kill (it was then beaten by an S-400).

The missiles will eventually run out. The leaks were dated Feb and they projected a run-out (of the 3 relevant missile types) in April and May based on estimated expenditure, which itself was based on predicted strike waves etc.

Based on what we know Ukraine are not getting enough Western systems to replace the coverage that the S-300 and BUK gave them. It's simple math, you look at the range of a Patriot, you look at how many they are getting, then look at the size of Ukraine. They are not getting enough.

It doesn't mean their air-defenses go to zero. It means their coverage becomes worse, they have to be very selective about where to put systems, they have to make tough decisions about whether to prioritize front-line troops, critical infrastructure, population centers and other key assets.

The worst-case scenario is that Russia start to feel more comfortable flying into Ukraine. Up to now they have been reluctant, they got their ass handed to them any time they chanced it. This greatly limited Russia's ability to perform strikes further into Ukraine. If you can't fly over a target you have to use a long-range weapon, and - thankfully - Russia have limited long-range precision weapons (they build or buy a small number each month).

If Ukraine's missile coverage is degraded then Russia may start to probe around and fly a little bit further into Ukraine. Since they are now using precision glide-bombs, every little bit further they fly into Ukraine puts more targets within range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The US has been supplying Sea Sparrow missiles that are compatible with the BUK systems Ukraine use, but there's no compatible missile for the S300 series Ukraine use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭ForestFire

By the sounds of it, this year's Tuam St. Patricks parade had more on show than Moscow!!😳😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Seen in the local paper the Russians are monitoring the cables off the Donegal coast. Clare daly released a statement condemning the cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I was unfortunate to see his music act in the early 2000s, and they were fucking dreadful, so we can add that to his list of crimes. He's as much a bluesman as he is martial arts expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

If the gangsters in the kremlin could have a yacht parade it probably would be the most impressive

I'd imagine infighting and vested interests keeping what weapons are left close in case there's a sudden breakup of the federation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I see Prigozhin has a nice Victory Day message for Putin (?) this morning:

They're killing our soldiers, and happy grandpa thinks he's doing fine.

What should the country do, what should our children, our grandchildren, the future of Russia?

And how do you win a war if by some random chance, I'm just guessing, that grandpa turns out to be a complete asshole?

I thought this whole Prigozhin threat was a ruse. Now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I can picture it now, Daly spluttering down a microphone: "Putin is bad but those imperialist Western cables are the real issue! It's no surprise the Russians were put in a position where they had to cut them! We don't even know it was them, it could just have easily been NATO. Both sides are as bad as each other!"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It looks like Russia is now incapable of a successful strike on Kyiv due to the advanced western anti missile systems Ukraine has. This once against demonstrates conventional Russian military equipment by and large is no match for the West, bar maybe hypersonic missiles ,which the Russians have very little of.

The biggest problem at the moment is the Russian glide bombs which are regularly Targeting the Ukrainan front lines ,they operate below air defense radars,if they change tactic and start sending bombs into cities and towns they could cause some serious damage,

As long there airforce can operate without challenge from the blacksea , Caspian sea and Belarus,they are still very much dangerous,

• Registered Users Posts: 82,452 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the military industrial complex dicks must be rock hard right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think their airforce is capable of doing that, otherwise they would be doing it already. Their airforce is appalling, even the Americans, with all their intelligence on the Russian military, were taken aback at just how incompetent they have proved to be . In years to come if you look up articles on the strongest militaries in the world Russia should be no where near second place. It sounds like the head of wagner with these series of rants knows he is being set up as the fall guy for the failure to take complete control of Bakhumt

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,213 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Surely it can't be that difficult to reverse engineer and re-produce the missiles for the S300 since they already have stocks of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I doubt it's that simple. If things were that simple Ukraine could be mass producing their long range GRIM rockets, could be sending shahed clones back to Russia etc...

You would think Ukraine could approach the likes of Raytheon with money to build compatible rockets for their S300's

The Americans already have in S300 systems bought or borrowed by various means ,

The problem likely not wanting to produce a missle that will only go to ukraine, most of the other countries that operate it aren't allied to Nato or the EU ,add the bonus of the s300 isn't a wonderwaffen and isn't perfect against what the Ukrainans are up against, everyone now wants the latest and greatest missles available,not one's that will very much limited rockets available for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

IMO a waste of time. As I usually point out, I am no expert even of armchair type but I really don't think on evidence of what has happened in Ukraine that anything the Soviet/Russian "MIC" has produced is really that much better than what the US/Western countries can give Ukraine.

Given Russia's actions + their refusal to back off from their effort to destroy Ukraine, assuming Ukraine survives (seems likely now) it will become a defacto NATO member at some point operating all classes of the NATO weapons, bar nuclear.

So training them to use Patriot + similar, stopping the restrictions on what missiles they can have etc. and Ukraine's allies increasing own production of ammunition (that they already know how to make...) as fast as possible to meet demands of the war in Ukraine seems the better option.

I find the whole US/NATO entirely reactive strategy making less sense to me now + quite poor (in a cautious, penny-wise pound-foolish kind of way) and frustrating. I wonder does Biden's age (in fact the general extreme age of entire set of US politicians and leaders, the senate etc. - they have an almost last days of the Soviet Union air about them) have something to do with it?

IMO at this stage given what Russia has done, it should be clear they need to be beaten here for the good of everyone. The cost of failing to make sure Putin/regime gets no wins/gains from what they have done is being underpriced by Ukraines' supporters IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The time and effort to re-tool a factory to produce these things, and then processes for quality control etc, its not worth it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

If we ever needed confirmation how fucked Russian tank stockpiles are it's that parade. Obviously they still have a lot around the frontlines and rear but they'll be all gone within another year.

I read a report that Russia are now pulling a lot of T-55's out. They have a lot they can access and they're easier and faster to train mobilised soldier's on. So over the next 12 months Russia will transition to an army of t-55's. Meanwhile Ukraine over the next year will be transitioning to leopards, Abrams and they already have plenty of Soviet tanks better then the 55.

Great to see a high success rate last night. Those 25 missiles are a lot less then the barrages they we're firing 6 months ago. Ukraine will only get more western air defence including patriot's going forward so this is another positive trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

They don't really have a lot of T-54/55's Only about 400-ish

But they are good enough to act as a stopgap to pull out more T-80's, T-72's and T-62's. As People say any Tank is better than no tank.

Which is of course a bad reflection on the part of the world's second biggest army.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

You really have to wonder what is wrong with T-14's that they could not even get onto the parade this year. Whether it's the squeeze on western components or they suffer from particularly bad mechanical reliability.

Last year only 2 or the 3 schedule T-14 Armatas showed up

This time None whatosever. A Tank that Russia is desperately trying to get export orders for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They'll be useful as fixed positions where they're dug into the ground with only the turret showing and being used for defensive positions. That's about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement