Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Ulster fans in the main are fine in my experience. If you go to Belfast it's not going to be a tea party. They get behind their team and make life difficult for the ref and opposition but that's to be expected. I'd rather watch a match there than somewhere like the Aviva where the match seems to be a by the way for the majority of fans.

They are a province that are starved of success but still attract huge crowds for most games and it would be good to see them bounce back. I'd love to see them do that with Dan McFarland but I think while he's done a good job in the main they look to have hit their ceiling and might need a fresh look at things.

Anyway we should be looking forward to next Saturday and hopefully we give a good account of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I couldn't make the trip to Belfast on Friday, but I was there in spirit! "Gripping" was the word a friend used to describe it, and it was definitely that. We were far from perfect, but how can you not love this team. Absolutely full of heart - I think Josh Murphy was the epitome of that towards the end - running on vapors, but dragged himself off the ground time and again. Amazing.

I've been thinking about the game since, and still trying to process it. So many memorable moments. There were 4 or 5 occasions where, if someone paused the game in real time and took a poll on whether a try was about to be scored, the results would have been landslides in the affirmative, but no - we were guilty of butchering at least 3 chances, and at the end when Ulster were going through the phases I was certain we were set for heartbreak.

On to next weekend. We've definitely got a chance. We'll be serious underdogs with the bookies which is no harm. They beat us well there in the regular season, but we were right in that game before Bundee's sending off. The fact he was out of favour for most of the season after that, went and won a grand slam, and has been building nicely since he returned - it's all set up for a big one from him - winning try off the back of a maul perhaps?

Speaking of next weekend - anyone travelling?! Flight prices actually seemed reasonable, but it's some trek. If we do manage a victory, any travelling fans should be brought into the changing room to celebrate with the team!

Hon Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Ulster fans would be my favourite of the other provinces so would wholly disagree with some of the previous comments. I was the opposite side of the ground to the bulk of connacht fans, only green spec in a sea of white, and they were universally gracious in defeat with a load staying back to give me best wishes for the semis. Theres the odd spanner in there of course but every team has got that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Who are the potential injury doubts after Friday? TOH and Dowling looked to pick up knocks. Murphy looked out on his feet. Porch and Mack could potentially have something from that nasty head clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Advertisement

Very shocked at that after such a physical performance.

An Ulster fan had said after full time that it was Connacht’s final, and seeing Carty nearly in tears afterwards could see why.

Will be hard to get to the same level of physicality again on Saturday. Hopefully the extra day rest can help over come the travel aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

had thought there was a press conference today if I was listening to Galway bay fm correctly. If so has anyone a link to it?

The craggy rugby podcast have it, but it requires a subscription (well worth the few quid a month). I'll be listening to it later when I'm out for a walk. https://patreon.com/craggyrugby

Connacht have named a 29-man squad to travel to SA for the Stormers game:

Connacht travelling squad:

Forwards (17):

• Jack Aungier
    • Finlay Bealham
    • Denis Buckley
    • Jarrad Butler
    • Eoin de Buitlear
    • Peter Dooley
    • Oisín Dowling
    • Jordan Duggan
    • Dave Heffernan
    • Shamus Hurley-Langton
    • Josh Murphy
    • Darragh Murray
    • Niall Murray
    • Conor Oliver
    • Cian Prendergast
    • Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    • Dylan Tierney-Martin

Backs (12):

• Bundee Aki
    • Caolin Blade
    • Jack Carty
    • Tom Daly
    • Tom Farrell
    • Cathal Forde
    • Mack Hansen
    • Kieran Marmion
    • John Porch
    • Tiernan O’Halloran
    • Byron Ralston
    • Colm Reilly 

Safe to assume it'll be the same 23 at the weekend that was picked for Ulster? Any changes people would like to see? I know I was saying before the game the last day that I'd have preferred Prendergast at 6, Jarred at 8, and Hurley Langton on the bench - so I don't think I'm qualified to comment this week :-)

• Advertisement

I thought last week the dynamism upgrade of Hawkshaw or Forde over Tom Daly on the bench would have made more sense, and would definitely feel that way this week.

EDIT: Just noticed Hawkshaw obviously hurt as he isn't in the 29 players making the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I'd say Dooley will come into the 23 for Duggan, maybe start him and bring Bucks off the bench.

Oh that's an interesting one - I reckon they'll start Denis after his great performance in Belfast, but I'd be happy to see Dooley on the bench alright.

Stormers tweeting to say they've sold 22 thousand tickets for the semi final already. Priced from 4 euro - for anyone still considering a trip down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I presume they were capped at being able to bring 29, would have been helpful to make it 30 and add Shane Jennings. Bit short on back three cover if one of the four travelling was to go down Friday or Saturday before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I always thought you could bring as many as you want but the costs are only covered up to a certain number. Could be wrong though. If we have an injury I guess we go with both Forde and Daly on the bench and Tom Farrell covers wing? Or maybe we'd even go 6/2.

Is Shane Delahunt injured? Would be very disappointed if he's been excluded just because he's leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

What's the craic with Paul Boyle? I know he mentioned before a game while back that he was out of form but I would have thought he'd have travelled at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

He was pictured at training yesterday, but they couldn't bring everybody and seem to have erred on the side of extra cover in the front row.

Boyle has had a tough season with injury against Castres knocking him out while SHL has been sharpening his teeth, he's only played twice since Christmas.

He was on the long-term injury list in February, no word on the injury - which sounded serious - since then. Realistically, they couldn't bring a guy who hasn't played in four months to a semi-final in SA.

Thought three scrum halves was a overkill. Free up a place and bring Jennings or Hawkshaw. Considering how Jack played at the weekend, I'd really like to see someone on the bench who has started at 10. If TD is in the mix to provide that cover, they need to start him occasionally, rather than sticking him in for 10 minutes here and there. Anyway, a problem for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Thought the same thing on 9s. What I've landed on is either Blade or Marmion could be carrying knocks that are expected to resolve but want the cover, or Reilly is our presumptive number 2 next year and being exposed to a camp like this is no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

A 3rd 9 makes sense in future planning though have him in that pressure cooker with Marmion leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think you have to bring three options for each front row position, and scrum half, in case there is an injury in training or the captain's run. We have locks who can cover back row and vice versa (Prendergast, Dowling, Murphy), interchangeable outside backs (Ralston covering centre), and two 12s who can play 10. But if you bring two nines only, you are completely screwed if one gets injured.

Would say Farrell could cover wing too at a push

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Most expensive seats in the ground were just over £12 - how could I not at that price? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Apparently Ted Lasso has been let go by Richmond and looking for a new job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

Congratulation, Finlay and Niall for elected the Elite 15 of URC 2023 season. I hope that Niall Murray will be possibly called up to Ireland squads this summer.

Advertisement