Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Horse Deaths

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're still trying to weirdly pull the sanctity of life gimmick and it's not working. There's no opportunity cost fallacy here, "having more horses in existence" is not the purpose of selectively breeding race horses, it's to make money. If you care about there being more horses in existence, go breed some generic horses, breed selectively for the health and wellbeing of the animal, not for racing traits. We're narrowly discussing racing, selective breeding of racing traits, and how this all winds up in hundreds of horses dying in our human custody every year under tragic circumstances, heart attacks, breaking limbs and necks, etc. and/or what can be done to eliminate the injuries (removing fences proposed)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So we've established you don't care if your proposal leads to fewer horses in existence.

that last line, you keep repeating it like it's some sort of gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If it wasn't some sort of gotcha they wouldn't have spent multiple posts dodging the question.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Weirdly? Gimmick?

You seem incapable of making your case without having to bolster it with these little jibes.

If you care about horses? Well I thought you did. Do you or don't you?

You can't keep your story straight.

You're talking about hundreds of horses dying. I'm talking about tens of thousands of horses living.

There's a position on the thread to ban horse racing entirely. I'm pointing out that would have consequence for hundreds of thousands of horses being in existence. Nobody said that's why horse racing exists but those horses exist because of it and banning horse racing would have that impact.

I didn't dodge the question though, you kept going on and on and on about "think about how many fewer horses there will be" etc and I repeatedly told you I don't care etc and that's a poor argument I was not buying, with reasons.

I wasn't dodging anything, you just failed to understand what I was trying to tell you. This isn't a gotcha, I'm not swayed by a lower population of horses if we don't bloody them in horse races anymore.

You seem incapable of making your case without having to bolster it with these little jibes.

Ahem,

"So we've established you don't care if your proposal leads to fewer horses in existence."

Jibes?

This whole post of yours was jibes. I guess you're incapable of making your case then

• Advertisement

And you couldn't have just said that instead of dodging the question with phrases like "a flat null change" in population? What was the point of that if not to dodge the question.

Pull the other one.

• The sheer rate of horse deaths has always horrified me, why I can’t bear to watch horse racing. My parents loved the world of racing, both always being kind to animals, but since my childhood I protested when T’s I g would come on the tv by walking out of the room.

Sorry that's just how I talk. Long before I made that post I had already told you I was unmoved by your population argument, I'm not hiding that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

So basically this isn't about racehorses alone, you'd prefer a world without every domesticated or selectively bred animal, only those which exist naturally in the wild?

Not dismissing it btw as I can see the merit in it from an ideological point of view. But ideology is all it is, even if it's a superior argument to the usual 'won't someone think of the animals' mantra that's normally trotted out (pun intended).

• Advertisement

So basically this isn't about racehorses alone

no the thread is about horses alone, though in passing I will admit something of myself that I'm not fond of selective dog breeding or animal breeding in general, it creates well, I don't want to say 'abominations' but certainly animals that suffer as a result of genetic conditions - like pugs and other shortnose dog breeds that have acute respiratory issues, or oversized dogs with heart and lung issues etc. as a result of their biology. Here it seemingly is immense stress on joints and necks and cardiovascular systems of these racing horses, selectively bred for racing speed, not overall health or fitness. A horse with dense bones I guess does not run as fast, a heart operating at the bleeding edge of health and safety is preferred?

even if it's a superior argument to the usual 'won't someone think of the animals' mantra that's normally trotted out (pun intended).

I mean it sort of is a think of the animals stance, I just think of living animals here, not theoretical/counterfactual future populations of an animal that might not exist if humans didn't breed them for our own devices.

This i can engage with, completely agree about some dog breeds being forced to suffer genetic conditions purely because of human fancy.

All racehorses are descended from just 3 stallions, and it is perfectly normal to breed mares with their grandfathers and uncles. From that perspective it could be argued that racehorses are indeed an abomination, but that is a million miles away from protesters view that racing should be banned cos the horses might get injured or die. They are bred to race and/or jump fences, some love it, some don't, some love it for a while and then don't, but none are 'forced' to do it. If a horse decides they don't want to race, and it happens every day, then there's absolutely nothing a jockey can do about it, if a horse doesn't want a jockey on it's back they won't be, it's as simple as that.

I always remember a horse called Choisty, who ran in the Grand National 20 odd years ago. Having lost his jockey early on he proceeded with the field for the rest of the race, jumping every fence, and according to his trainer was heading out for another circuit after the race was over until he called him.

Invariably, people who call for bans on anything have no actual knowledge or experience of the subject at hand, they form their view solely from a 'it makes me uncomfortable so it should be banned' perspective, it is both ignorant and selfish.

If a horse decides they don't want to race, and it happens every day, then there's absolutely nothing a jockey can do about it, if a horse doesn't want a jockey on it's back they won't be, it's as simple as that.

That's fine but even while horses are generally considered sentient it's hardly like they have proper informed consent or have any clue that one bad fencejump could mean they get put down while losing a leg. Like yeah, I could get a dog to consent to going just about anywhere with me with the right incentives but that consent doesn't ensure I have its best interests in mind.

I'm not even jumping to ban the sport but I'd entertain. A ban first came up in Post #23. I'm more of the more in depth thinking of investigating issues like, selective breeding issues leading to greater injury rates, etc. and doing things that could potentially modify or mitigate the dangers of the sport to be that much more humane for the animals. #8 and #16 laid the blame on the fences. I didn't know all racing horses stemmed from 3 stallions. Tracks though, learned a lot about alpaca farming last week and iirc all white peruvian alpacas have a common ancestor too, and a lot of prize winning alpacas (fur quality) in the US stem from just a few sires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I know nothing of horses or racing and have a particular dislike for the growth of the gambling industry over the last 20-30 years but horse racing is going no where in Ireland.

According to an answer by Minister of Agriculture to a question from Paul Murphy, the horse racing industry is responsible for 29000 direct and indirect jobs mainly in rural Ireland.

It's rare on my rural cycles I don't encounter training yards/horse transporters etc; in certain parts of Ireland the equine industry is a massive economic and social force.

It seems to me once people get into horses they often are good for nothing else; seems to be something addictive about them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It seems to me once people get into horses they often are good for nothing else; seems to be something addictive about them

my wife owns a horse. tell me about it.

Mother in law owns 3. Mostly for pets, barely for trail riding :P

This is the thing, it's ok for humans to partake in activities that could result in their death because they're pre-informed as to the consequences, but it's cruel to allow an animal to do the same because they don't know the risks.

The issue is always that humans can't help transposing their own fears and emotions into how the animal must be feeling. They're not fearing anything about their future, whether that be jumping a fence or in a truck heading to the abattoir.

True, but we're leading them into those fences, those extreme, bleeding edge competitions, pushing these animals so far to the limit that hundreds die every year as a result of the racing portion. We would not put humans through this.

Of course not, humans are reserved to be sent off to die in a war instead.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

We put humans through alot worse. Id rather jump fences for a living than be sent to a country thousands of miles from my own to fight a war 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

We don't draft anymore though (I still had to register for the thing, but functionally, it is not used), enlistment is voluntary and consenting. The horse never signs a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

" We would not put humans through this". Are u serious? The device you are using to post on this site has more than likely been built in sweatshops. Forced child labour who work for a pitance a day. More than likely most of the clothes you own were made in a sweatshop somewhere with 12 year old children working 14 hour days with no break 40-50 degree heat for about 50c a day all so you can get on said device and pontificate about how poorly the horses are treated. "we would not put humans through this" This must be the most hypoctitical thing I've read in a long time. Forced child labour in Africa just so we can mine cobalt cheaply by the likes of Google, Apple, Dell so you can have a device which allows you to tell the rest of us that we wouldn't treat humans as bad as horses. Good work Overheal. Have a good evening. I'll do you a deal, you dump everyting in your life that has any attachment to sweatshops and or child slavery and I'll walk bollox naked down the main street in every city in the country in defense of horses that are froced to race how about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

With prominent Greens like, Pippa and husband Mark, whose parents owned the one time very successful, Hackett's Bookmaker's, full square behind horse racing, its going nowhere

Wow, damn, you are correct, I will admit clearly I overstated. That is an earned touche.

I think it's fair to rebut however that when us in the west uncover sweatshop practices we do work to condemn them, rout them out, and impose sanctions under the laws with which are... normally lobbied to death by multinational corporations. Hell even some 'red' US states are reintroducing child labor. I guess I was guilty of thinking for a moment we were better than that. Thanks for a slap. Yes corporations like apple like to get away with, and whitewash that kind of **** when it happens. Big scandal for them of course in the 2010s but now in the 2020s its Uighur slave labor accusations, and Apple is suing China over it, but who is to say who is complicit there. I don't remember apple paying any fines to any economy over the earlier sweatshop/suicide scandal. For another time I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Please provide proof to back this claim up. its BS.

Think you are generalizing when a horse breaks its leg with all other injuries.

Horses are not put down as soon as they are done racing.

Harsh.

No need to personally make someone feel bad about themselves, you could have made your point without doing so.

• Advertisement

It was a good, from the belly, righteous rant full of things I know are likely true and a bit of humor imagining paulie running naked down the street.

Advertisement