Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Of course it would! That would be 32 pupils and can stay open. By experience, I worked in a school that had 18 pupils and to me, out of any school I taught in the children got the most 1-1 attention I have ever seen. Maybe limited in other areas but pupils in classrooms of 35+ pupils, especially at the Junior classes are lost. We have one in our school and it's an utter utter disgrace and a serioud accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Young me would be so utterly disgusted at current me liking a comment wanting to bring back MMcD. I want to cry now.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Bring back Michael McDowell the man who was Attorney General and ok'd the text for the good friday agreement constitution change that so many lament on boards.

Eh Ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't agree with zero refugees, but I think we have accepted too many.

I suggest 1% of pop, so a max of 50,000.

All bogus AS to be deported within 1 week of arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Advertisement

Why are they never asked this question?, is there nowhere else in the whole continent of Africa you could find safety?, why a small island on the west of Europe?

As my friend an RTE employee said to me: "you can't ask that".

The relevance is I was replying to a comment in this thread about the person named and in relation to his actions as Attorney general and the impact on refuges fleeing here in the past.

Do you know what constitutional change I am referring to in my comment, and do you not understand the relevance?

The way things are going and are in Ireland, there'll be plenty of gangs to join in Ireland soon. Take your pick!

• Advertisement

I had this discussion with someone recently and we are very much doubting that Ireland's population is just over 5 million in 2023. We think it is very much higher than that. Would love to see a genuine head count and census done.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

I really don't understand the "but the Irish emigrated" so-called argument.

So what?

Some Irish people immigrating has no bearing on what this country does or does not do with immigrants. We don't owe some kind of blood debt because of the navvies that built the British motorways, or the J1 students that party in Los Angeles. This argument somehow implies that the Irish are some kind of homogonous entity, like an ant colony, that is responsible for every action of each of its people, and has to keep track of every favour owed to pass on.

Imagine the reaction of the same people making this argument if it was argued that we shouldn't take any Muslims because some Muslims attacked the Twin Towers, or we shouldn't take any Turks because of that nasty business with the Armenians, yet these are the same premise.

It is a nonsensical figleaf used by open border fanatics to shore up the utter absurdity of their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

See, this is the problem on this thread. Straight into the melodramatics. Blood debt? What?

Firstly, I was responding to another poster who was talking about the way Irish emigrants apparently integrated and assimilated nicely. I didn't bring the point up.

Secondly, where on earth did I say anything about Ireland owing anyone anything purely because of its own history of emigration? My post centred purely around the fact that the Irish did not historically assimilate perfectly into the fabric of American society, nor did Irish migrants abandon their own ways and customs in deference to the "native" Americans.

I fail to see any good reason for finding it invalid to draw historical examples of the Irish in America as a case study of how an emigrant community develops within a host foreign society. But for whatever reason it really seems to ruffle a few feathers on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Most of us are descendants of the Irish who didn't emigrate anywhere, hence why we're here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

How are England closing their doors to illegal migrants? That's absolutely impossible. And once they enter the UK, they have access to Ireland via NI.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

I think they are using Ireland as a way to get residency (will take years, but they will get it) then they will head freely anywhere they want in Europe.

Nothing is going to change as there is no will to change the current immigration situation. O Gorman advertised On Twitter that Ireland is a place you can come to if you need your own door accommodation so no surprise how many have arrived .

Coveney wants to double our population, McEntee likes amnesties to encourage immigrants to stay long enough and they’ll eventually be citizens.

The media are onside with this so you won’t get any dissenting voices there ,just parrot that we need to be more compassionate, remember our history etc etc

We can build all the houses we like but the likes of the Irish refugee council will look for them to be used for refugees and will take high court cases to enforce this, look at the fact that there are at last count 87 cases working their way through the courts to force the government to find accommodation.

These NGOs are using our money to bring cases to force us to provide accommodation immediately for anyone who turns up in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It wouldnt be possible to determine within 1 week of a persons arrival if their claim is bogus or has legitimacy. The processes cannot take 1 week.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Here you go:

Albania, Georgia, USA = all bogus, straight away, within one minute, simple.

That's a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Reminds me of whats going on in Los Angleles in the United States. Tent citys popping up all over and becoming no go area’s.

how many more is needed before somethings done to stop this insanity,

1000?

5000?

10000?

This was predicted on this forum ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

No issue with genuine refugees but it definitely needs far more strict controls and definitely needs to be limited we can't take people in to the detriment of our own culture and people.

What I do have an issue with the sneaky opportunistic "refugees" this should be harshly punished.

Otherwise the country will be over ran with people that have little attachment to the country or culture and are only here for what they can get out of it. They will use or soft plyable nature and system to change things to favour themselves.

It's hard to argue against the fact that we have homeless Irish while foreigners are being put up before them that's simply not right now matter what way you look at it we should have a policy of looking after our own first and then we LL use we have left to help others.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

The quicker you provide the 500 camping out in front of the international protection office with accomodation, the quicker the next 500 will show up. It's no solution at all.

What is needed is a Japanese/Singaporean style of dealing with things. Illegal immigrants get the choice of jail or returning to where they came from.

From article "Singapore would be dealt with under the 1959 Immigration Act – which states that they would be subjected to penalties such as caning, imprisonment and deportation if found guilty. "

https://thekopi.co/2021/09/08/singapore-refugee-policy-explained/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

I heard Leo on the radio yesterday saying how proud he was that Ireland took 100k refugees and asylum seekers last year.

I think a couple of months ago they were spooked a bit by the anti immigration protests and put extra cops at airports checking passports.

The anti immigration protests seem to be fizzling out after a media onslaught, the government sees voters have no one else to vote for and have decided it's business as usual. What'll the present immigration control parties get realistically in the next election - 3% tops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Some figures on attitude to immigration

A certain slant, definitely, but opinions are opinions

https://www.theburkean.ie/articles/2023/05/10/ireland-says-no-to-immigration

FF/FG/SF will do nothing to control borders. All you get is weakness. Even hearing varadkar using the word "firm" sounded weak. He followed up with a comment about how the EU should secure it's borders. Sorry. You were elected to deal with Ireland's problems now get on with it instead of passing the buck.

I have no faith in any of them. I think the Irish freedom party is probably the best option.

Oh. And what about that jury's Inn hotel in Dublin 4? Isn't there a "severe shortage" of accommodation for international protection applicants? Let's utilise this hotel to house the young men. Surely this shouldn't be a problem?!

Post edited by creeper1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Dunno about any party being the solution but a protest vote would go a long way to give most of these parties the up yours to them. They might think more about their position on certain policies. Never seen such an out of touch ignorant lot.

Advertisement