Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Norasheen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

If Onion Boys reminded you of Gilla Band was it only 'Rock Band' you listened to? It's the only song that could possibly remind you of Gilla Band. I would say Onion Boys share the same low-rent absurdity and willingness to try different styles as Warmduscher.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Not the right kind of techno 😉 As stated before, whenever i visited it last year it was just the same bpm and style all weekend, no matter who was playing. No peaks and troughs, not banging and a bit of a chore really (except for the last dj on Sunday night who was half decent but still not great). Tbf i probably do have very specific tastes as to what's gonna get me moving and i rarely hear it at Irish festivals!

Hoping for some good DnB/Jungle at The Cambium Club though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

That was exactly it, just listened to rock band and (rather harshly) gave up on them. I’ll go back and give them another listen.

Anyone seen ‘The scratch’ live before? Sound like it’d be right craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Mental live by all accounts. Saw most of their set at EP last time out and they were fantastic. There's stuff happening everywhere, dancing, moshing, whooping and hollering, great energy from the lads. And they can play. Not everyone's cup of tea but I'd have them down as a must see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ive seen the Scratch live twice at EP - first time with about 100 people a few years ago and last year in a packed out tent. Same energy both times- good craic for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Looking back through the clash finder last year I'm not sure specifically who I'm referring to, but I do have a clear memory on the Saturday and Sunday night wandering around and as you described finding it very samey at a few different stages. Joy Orbison was one I remember dipping my head into and thinking nah. Would that not be something you'd classify as heavy?

In fairness I do like the lighter electronic, disco or melodic type stuff so there are plenty I'm looking forward to in the lineup this year. Would the likes of Robert Hood or Daniel Avery not be up your street?

Even though we are probably into different types of electronic music I agree with you completely on the 'going through the motions' feeling of a set not really going anywhere and people just dancing because their whacked. I found my fun eventually in Ping Pong Disco on the Sunday with Brian Ring but suspect that is exactly what you are avoiding! Also found Inside Moves very good on the Sunday evening at the AVA stage which was heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

They have been on my radar for a while as well, for whatever reason I haven't had the chance to see them live yet. Will certainly be making the effort this time though.

Cheers folks. Will listen to more of them as liking it so far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭RINO87

The scratch are fantastic live. Could really see them being one of the highlights of the weekend if they are on form!

• Advertisement

Yeah, we're very much at opposite ends of the electronic spectrum!😀 I too popped into Joy Orbison for 15 minutes or so, but like everywhere else, it was going nowhere. Didn't find it heavy but i suppose it could be to someone who was into the lighter end.

I'm not really familiar with Robin Hood but what i have heard was quite minimal, which is something i love in guitars but not in techno. Daniel Avery i've never really got the fuss about, certainly not on record anyways, but i will check him out live.

The 'going through the motions' set is something we seem to get a lot of here. Although tbf maybe it's everywhere. How often do you see people really dancing and looking like they're genuinely enjoying themselves? It's a bugbear of mine that there's supposed to be some amazing dj on and folks are just gently swaying, wishing something would happen. Trying to convince themselves they're having a good time, afraid to admit that they're actually bored. Looks like most Boiler Room sets actually😂

Excellent. Finally! We're all in agreement on the whole electronic thing then? For heaven's sake then, can someone get to the lads up top and tell them guitars are back in? I KNEW I was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Pod has been historically an electronic music promoter. Also guitars being back is in is subjective

Nonsense, Fanirish. Everybody can feel the move away from Electronica. 'Samey', 'Going through the motions', 'bored' Real quotes! From globally respected commentators Ferris Beuller and Dreamweapon. It's in the air, Fanirish. Guitars are the future! Get ahead of the posse! Give it 2 years and Daniel Avery will be playing bass in a proto punk outfit telling reporters he's never felt so connected with his fans. You're our man on the inside. Let's get the revolution started.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"It's a bugbear of mine that there's supposed to be some amazing dj on and folks are just gently swaying, wishing something would happen. Trying to convince themselves they're having a good time, afraid to admit that they're actually bored"

Because they are probably bored.

Bored of 9 different 'djs' playing a few samples over the same beats.

Its lazy booking imo, "just get dance/electronic acts in, shur most people love it" ( lowest common denominator?)

As i said previously, im really on the fence about going or not. I spoke to the Mrs and told her the same...

I just think its a poor line up, of filler djs/acts - Quantity over Quality....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crl84

I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

I was literally about to use that lyric 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crl84

For me, standing there nodding is me enjoying the music 😂 I've been on plenty of nights out where I wished I had a seat at the side of the club/venue where I could enjoy it without the dancing/standing/bumping into people part!

I'd imagine Daniel Avery's set will be similar to this one:

I loved this mix of his own stuff he did during covid, mostly unreleased stuff and live sketches/stems/tools:

Robert Hood's earlier stuff was quite minimal, but these days he's a bit of a mix of genres, his Floorplan project focussed on gospel-tinged house, and his own sets tend to have some of that, along with techno and house, not much minimal (at least not of the older 90s or Kompakt styles)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Any DJ's on the lineup that are likely to do a 90s old school set ala Sides, the Asylum etc?

• Advertisement

You do realise I'm joking with the whole guitar thing buddy? I realise I'm an antique. That's OK. I'm just having a bit of craic with my electronic brethren.

I can understand that feeling but I do think ATN do a good job of booking electronic artists and DJs, as Fanirish said their background is in this work and it shows. There are many festivals I've gone to in the past where probably 80% of the stuff I have gone to is electronic or dance music so I think there are a lot of people out there who it does appeal to without it being lazy bookings. Some acts seem to pop up on festival lineups every year of course but they have booked a lot of acts you don't always get at festivals - Todd Terje, Palms Trax, Chaos in the CBD, Daphni, Robert Hood, Barry Can't Swim, James Murphy even aren't exactly acts that pop up all the time at Irish festivals.

But I agree with you that if you aren't this way inclined then I can see why the lineup may seem a bit weak.

Fanirish's dabbling with humour didn't last too long eh? Ah well...back to the cryptic/snarky/occasional-pearls comments i guess.

We could probably park the electronica chat for a bit though! Gotta be a snooze for the uninterested 😉

I'm terribly uneducated when it comes to electronic stuff, I did enjoy arcadia anytime I went there last year. The late night stuff though, it needs looking at I fear. Yeah there a great selection of DJs and such but we need more variety.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this last year, would love some mad hidden trad session, or something like the pagan rave from body and soul or even some indie music disco tent, or ya know what: some sort of secret funk area.

Anyway, yeah variety. DJs are great late night, but give us the choice of something else.

Yep 100%, I remember a few saying that on the thread here last year myself included, even though I am someone who likes the electronic stuff. In fairness to Electric Picnic it is really something they nailed with the variety of options they had post midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Phishwax

There was trad session in one of the tents last year on Sunday night.

Plus love acoustic sessions there on the other night

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Bitta Ross From Friends, Floating Points, Dennis Cruz, Tibasko, Leon Vynehall and even Saoirse who I saw recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

The Scratch will be whopper though. Saw them in Liverpool, venue with a capacity of 50 and they still managed to get a circle going haha

A funk area would be great. As long as it did actually play funk and wasn't just an excuse to play yet more disco a la B&S a few years back.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, more campervan passes going on sale at 9am apparently. Limited number so get them while they’re hot!

Advertisement