Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

Ticketmaster release decent seats and standing tickets less than 60 min before the show starts.

Ggrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

Waiting’ on a sunny day would be a rather appropriate opener this evening…😂😂☔️☔️

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

What time did he come on stage the last two gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There are not enough superlatives for tonight, despite a few hiccups.

But man if that other set list floating around is real I'll be gutted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Was fortunate to be given a ticket to go again tonight. Similar set with a few changed out again. Really enjoyed again. I'm busted after 2 shows. Don't know how he does it.

Nightshift is just gorgeous, love death to my home town, Badlands so much energy. Could go on and on.

If I was to find fault Ghosts was ropey and Bruce & Stevie's chemistry wasn't what it was on Sunday.

Again grateful to see him twice.

Now I'm starting roll call for next year's gig in the sandymount hotel tomorrow at 2 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

If the image of the intended setlist floating around is legitimate, then it could be argued that we missed a potential classic, but you have to judge a gig on its own merits and not bewail possible missed opportunities (the supposed setlist includes The Ties That Bind as an opener, Racing in the Street in the main set and Jungleland and Ramrod as part of the encore).

Bruce was obviously feeling the cold and maybe that prompted the set being cut (whatever may or may not have been on it). He was clearly giving audible instructions after the first bows, so changes were definitely made.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'm probably in the minority, but any setlist that includes/retains Kitty's Back and The E Street Shuffle is always going to get my vote.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Agree totally! Kitty's Back was amazing tonight.

Brilliant show. And what a difference the crowd makes! We were in the pit this time and had room off to the side and it was a million times better. Sunday was a mess crowd-wise where we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Whatever about certain songs not being sung tonight the one thing for sure is it was not cut short! 28 songs and 3 hours exactly. Let's face it with a repertoire like Bruce's we are all gonna have other songs we would loved to have heard.

I was glad Trapped made a reappearance tonight, and that Thunder Road relegated Born in the USA.

I did think the sound was that loud that at times it was distorted, but that could just be my sensitive ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Amazing show. We arrived just after 4.30 and got pit passes, but were definitely further back than yourself.

Garry didn’t look too well, quite gaunt and haggard. Maybe I’d look haggard if I was giving three hours performances night after night in my seventies.

Nils seemed to have a lesser role than usual, with Bruce taking more of the solo’s himself.

Very emotional for me, especially for Thunder Road and Born To Run. Had a sense of finality about it. Can’t see him touring here again with the band.

What a way to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Can't understand all this speculation about him not touring again. Yeah he's 73 but the man is fit as a fiddle. Unless he has health problems I'm not aware of there's no reason he shouldn't tour again. Other posters on this thread have already said they know of inside sources who said there's European dates planned for next year. Bruce will be like Johnny Cash, he'll still be recording songs on his deathbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I went on Sunday and thought Garry especially looks like he's pretty much done with the touring life, I know he's never leapt around the stage but he does look his age. Max looks fantastic and still so full of energy. Really enjoyed it, the sound at Croke Park had made me consider not getting tickets this time but so glad I did.

I felt like it was a goodbye and had a bit of a cry during I'll See You in my dreams, the whole gig felt like a remembrance of times and people past, but that may have been me as much as him, the last time I was at the RDS to see him, my son was with me and I took my Mum to Wembley in 1988, both of them have passed away and the narrative of the evening fitted in with missing people who are no longer with us and living life as big as you can.

Maybe Bruce will do an acoustic solo tour again which would be amazing but I don't think we'll see the E Street Band in Dublin again. I feel very privileged to have shared some of the best nights of my life with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Incredible show, still buzzing this morning and trying to make myself concentrate on work is the last thing on my mind.

Nightshift, Johnny 99, The E Street Shuffle, Last Man Standing & Thunder Road are a few of the top of my head that were amazing. The pace he plays at is something else, one song after the next. Just brilliant altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Don't think its a goodbye at all. He'll be touring again in 2024 and will likely have new music out too.

Hes just played 5 x 3 hour concerts in 12 days. Hes 74 in a few months.

That said, I've no desire at all to see the current show again. Even the encores now are samey. Have been for years. Needs to spread those tunes out throughout the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭pjordan

Yep, I'll see you in my dreams at the end was truly spine chilling - It had my OH and sis in law who lost their dad a year ago in floods. His preamble on George Theiss before Last man standing about the importance of living in the now (allied with a whole new meaning brought to Glory Days) really hit home to us that are getting on and have been following him for 40 years and wondering how (and if) he and the ESB can possibly keep going.

Last night I really came to appreciate anew how tight and brilliantly collective The E Street band are, both the combination of the old heads and the infusion of the new like Jake. I think for the first hour there was barley a gap between one song and the next, straight into the riff for another after climaxing one. Mind you along with the obvious wall of sounds of Badlands, Thunder Road and Born to Run, some of my highlights of last night were Bruce by himself acoustic (much clearer - sometimes in the midst of all that music it's near impossible to hear the lyrics!)

Obviously, with such a vast back catalogue there a whole lot more I'd have loved to hear (The River especially) and some less familar that I'd rather he'd omitted, but all in all a great night and great atmosphere (Great chatter and friendly interaction between fans both before, during and after on the pitch!) and had Spotify playlist to accompany us on the 3 hour drive back Westh!

The most important thing is that people queued for 2 days, 3 times a day in sometimes pissing rain, to get their spot in the pit, only for me to be 18 inches behind them with a piece of paper I coloured in in work.......

Haha great work! No offence to your artistic skills but what makes it better is that it looks like it was done by a small child.

Next show Ill be doing that. **** this queuing craic. Could've done the same in Barcelona too. Couldve used toilet roll in Barcelona actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

First time going to a show. I really enjoyed the gig last week and picked up a seated ticket last week for the grandstand. The view and sound were perfect setlist was great 29 songs in 3 hours fantastic. I can understand if you went to a lot of shows that it might feel "samey" A couple of seated near me were complaining about no Born In The USA, The River and a load of "rubbish" being played. Probably be calling Joe Duffy today.

Garry barely saw him on the screen but the rest of the E Street Band I thought played really well. As for that setlist posted online, Yeah they could have played more but that 3-hour show I was happy really happy.

I suppose the obvious prediction in some kinda Born In The USA 40th theme tour next year may be a box set.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dermey97

Enjoyed the show last night as ever Bruce knows how to finish strong...but very disappointed with organisation especially on night 3. Ques before he started up as far as Cullens Pub, Pretty much anyone behind sound tent and control had no view of stage... nothing allowed in with security checks worse than the airport.. all bit irish when it comes to organisation. my 2cent

• Advertisement

It was a whiteboard marker so it kept rubbing off, but if you walk with enough confidence you'd be surprised what happens. I'd post it in btx but I'd be afraid I'd give one of them a stroke.

Post it! Be hilarious.

I would but Im banned now 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shammalamma

Can't agree. I went in at 5.45, no queue, sailed right in. Cursory glance in my bag, drinks in coat pockets came in with us! Got a pint in 2 mins flat, straight on to the pitch and got a great spot just a bit behind the pit.

Seemed like most people were hanging back waiting for the rain to stop before they went to the pitch, which meant those of us braving the rain got further up than we might otherwise have done.

The only small issue I had was trying to get back to my spot in the one way system after going to the jacks, sharp elbows and perseverance needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

I attended Sunday and really enjoyed it. I did feel that Springsteens trademark energy is waining. No surprise given his age. I also thought that Nils Lofgren was under utilised. I remember being blown away by him during a previous tour in 2012.

While a lot of my favourite songs were omitted this time round, I really enjoyed the majority of the set. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out is an absolute belter live.

Post edited by Aladdin Sane on

Nils usually gets a big solo. The bit when he spins around. Joad, Youngstown, Murder Incorporated et al. His hips are goosed now though.

Having been previously spoiled and seen the reunion era Tenth Avenue with Bruce standing on the piano etc, every time since has been, fine.

Some legend uploaded the 99 RDS show (audio only)

Would anyone like to share the 'other' set list?

I didn't say that HE wouldn't tour again. I can't another tour with the band.

Huge kudos to Max, 72 years old and three hours solid, sitting up proud, with one short break. He barely gets a break between tracks, often going straight from the end of one track into the next. He must have muscles of steel in that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'd love to know how people are getting these setlists. I hung around on Friday night for ages at the front of the stage but the security were cranky and chasing everyone off. Also when the roadies were setting up the stage it looked to me like the setlists were in laminated plastic this time which would suggest that they're being re-used for other gigs. I managed to get one in Croke Park last time around but there wasn't a sniff to be had this time. Would love to know how everyone else is getting their hands on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Really enjoyed last night. No Surrender was great. I never buy merchandise at concerts but I got the tour poster.

Advertisement