Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New clubs - how do you decide?

Options
  • 28-04-2023 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭

I'm likely to be in the market for new clubs, for the past 5 years I've been playing with a ping rapture v1 driver from 08 and a set of mizuno irons from 02-04 which I picked up on boards second hand.

I've hesitated to replace them, as there's nothing really wrong with how they work.

But I have an itch for a driver and irons. So how do you decide how and when to replace clubs? Do you see a fitter or buy the newest version of the brand/model you like? What are the risks with replacing something that works quite well, and has there been a regret from switching when it hasn't gone to plan?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A good measure for when to change clubs is when you no longer feel like you're getting the benefit from them that you used to. That can include a gradual loss of distance or consistency of strike... or vanity where you are watching your friends hitting 8 irons while you're hitting 6 or 5 ;)

With regard to what iron to choose, go to a fitter and prefarably one that will try to fit you on a number of different brands. Try all the irons. Get setup on trackman (or similar) and get some numbers to look at. And if you're not fully happy after 1 fitting, go to another. If you're getting new irons, you're probably going to be spending the guts of a grand or more, so best to make sure its right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Agree with the first part, also if your swing has changed through lessons etc you might benefit from a different lie/loft or shaft/head type.

I wouldn't go in looking to hit as many irons as I could though, I'd pick two or 3 max you would like to play and let the fitter work from there and make some recommendations. The fittings are timed and I wouldn't want to waste time trying them all, the fitter should be able to narrow it down pretty quick and fine tune it. Obviously if what he suggests doesn't suit your eye,price etc you can pick the club you want to go ahead with

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think the most important thin is to pick a club you like. You like the style of, you like the feel of, you like look of, you like how it set up.

If you don't get something you like and just take what someone sticks in your hand, you will always have a niggle in your mind as to what if I'd have gone with something else.

So I think @dan_ep82 above makes a very good point. find about 3 clubs you like and work with a fitter from there. they will tailor the shaft type, length, lofts, lies, grip.

stock may be fine for lots of people. I "kind of" got fitted a few years ago for my clubs. I knew what I liked and I just wanted to make sure they would suit. I don't think i looked at more than the 1 set. Stock worked for me..... almost. I needed the lofts and lies adjusted. Not all clubs can be adjusted, so watch out for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I've gone into a shop buy a set of clubs since I was about 16 - and that was done on a budget set by the parents.

I know a lot of people place emphasis on data and analytics, launch angle, spin rates, height etc (which I know zero about) but I'm definitely more about the look and feel. The two sets I've owned/played with in the last 15 years were both second hand and not at all fitted.

Think I'll take a wander to one of the shops to get an idea of what the clubs I like the look of, feel in hand and then see about getting to actually hit some of them. One of the issues is, as a lefty, the range carried by shops for testing can be somewhat limited.

As a follow on of sorts, I play with mizuno irons which were manufactured in 02 give or take. I like the look of the jpx 921 and also like the look of the Taylormade M4 irons, and finally ping g425.

When reviews talk about launch angle, swing speed, and targeted at low mid or high handicap players, how much of it is guff and how much of it is actually applicable?

I play to around 18 or so, do t struggle for distance or swing speed and my shots are generally pretty high.

I'm half answering my own question, but I guess the best thing is to just get out to swing the clubs im looking at and judge by feel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Just let the fitter know what clubs you like and he’ll ask any relevant questions and adjust the rest. They can help if you miss one direction, want to hit a certain height and can move your strike to a point. You can over power all of this but a good swing with a well fit club shouldn’t miss target. Likewise if you always strike the ball on the toe of the club they can change the lie and move the strike back towards the center.

A bad swing will always result in a bad shot no matter how well fit the clubs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I got a fitting for the first time late last year. My advice would be almost opposite to what the last few have said (no offence intended). I'm a 13 HI so a bogey golfer give or take.

Fitter asked me which ones I liked and why but I told him I was open to whatever worked best. I ended up with Mizuno MX923s, which wouldn't have been on my list. In reality, the clubs I liked were probably suited to a single figure golfer (my vanity probably).

So far so good. I'm hitting them really well, getting at least a club more distance with them and they're quite forgiving too.

I reckon if you're playing well with your clubs, then you'll grow to love the setup, look etc.

I'd also highly recommend getting some lessons to go with your purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

I went in open minded and came out with mizuno's a few years ago and absolutely love them. It will need to be something serious for me to part ways with them in the future

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've actually a few questions about this, as I've only ever used second hand clubs.

1. Do you pay for the fitting? Ball park what are we talking here?
    2. Is the expectation that you go to the fitter and then buy your new clubs through them? Or will they give you your fitting for you to go source them yourself?
    3. If you want to keep costs down, do they tend to stock older models? Or does it tend to be latest and greatest only?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

1. The likes of halpenny & mcguirks charge around €25-€50 for the fitting but take this off the new club if you buy it through them. Foregolf you can expect to pay up to €100 on top of the cost of the clubs
    2. There is little variation in the cost of clubs. The best value i've seen is in the second hand market. I've had a few fittings done for different clubs and have always bought through the fitter for convenience.
    3. Been a while since I got fitted at foregolf but my irons were relatively new at the time. McGuirks & Halpenny only offer fittings on the newest models. Saying that, you can often pick some decently priced equipment by buying ex-demo's but that's as they come. You won't get the something tailored to you.

• Advertisement

Can confirm the answers above. Dropped out to mcguirks on Saturday as I was driving past anyway. 50 for a fitting which takes roughly an hour, and is taken off the price of the clubs if you purchase.

I managed to browse through the clubs on the rack and discounted one of the sets I had liked on line when I held it, but really fancied a set of pings. Going to get out for the fitting session to actually hit a few different clubs, but probably won't be for a few weeks as weekends are busy at the minute with communions/golf with boards/weekends away.

The biggest unknown for me at the moment is whether to also pick up a new driver or not, as the driver I have is from 08 but I get decent distance and am pretty straight and consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

The biggest difference with the newer drivers I have found is the forgiveness. You can hit it off the heel or toe and it'll still go 90/95%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

I spotted a Cobra Speedzone driver with a stiff shaft on adverts.ie for €100 recently. It's not going to be far off any of the recent models tbh and has some adjustability. Might be worth a punt at a fraction of a new model.

Advertisement