Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

looking at one year in isolation can give an overstated opinion of any league. Like this year having two teams from Serie A in SFs or the 2020 SFs consisting of 2 Bundesliga and 2 French league teams. Do you rank La liga above the French or German Leagues? And is that just because the performance of one team, Real Madrid?

Since 2019 we have had four different PL finalists so that does show there is strength in PL,teams compared to La Liga even if domestic league is a whitewash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-final 1st Legs

Tuesday 9th May

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Manchester City FC (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 1 / RTE Two

Wednesday 10th May

AC Milan (ITA) V FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 1 / Virgin Media Two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

City to win both legs.

Milan to go thru.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I really, really, really cannot see Man City winning both legs. Real Madrid are out of their league, but are in the Copa del Rey final tomorrow. They have only won the CDR twice this century (beating Barcelona in each final) so its not really massive on their win list. For this to be a good season for them, they have to win the Champions League and that's all they are gunning for now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think Real could well be the banana slip for City. They were fairly poor v West Ham, De Bruyne really makes them tick. Real's midfield are so experienced, teak tough defenders and the breaks with Vini and Benzema are so dangerous.

Add the pressure that City will be under and in particular Pep - he might make another of his tactical masterclass mistakes and there is a real hope that Real can dent City's challenge.

I do hope you're right. Is KDB to miss the 1st leg?

But remember Modric is out of the game. I often think without him Kroos is found out with his lack of pace and inability to dictate games the way Modric would.

And it's a big decision for Carlo re the cup final. I'm sure Benzema will play, and he'll want to play, but they have been saying all season he can't play 2 games in a week, and it's only 3 days til they play City. They would need to hope the entire team comes through the cup final with no injuries to have any chance of beating City.

Really looking forward to a great game tonight, hopefully.

Think City will be too strong, and might sneak an away victory, but I hope I'm wrong.

I think Madrid missing Militao is a big loss, he's really come on as a great CB. Not a Rudiger fan at all.

Agreed. Militao is the bully at the back where before Ramos ran the rule.

When needed to, Ramos sorted out both Mo Salah and Karius without getting punished. Tonight, is there anyone who can stand up to Haaland?

Interested to see that Madrid are "front heavy" so that might be to occupy Pep's mind a little. No Modric or Tchouaméni in the middle and Kroos' pace might get exploited. I wonder are Real just going to go counter attacking at home and leave City with the ball?

For City Mahrez and Foden are both on the bench. What an embarrassment of riches.

I still can't call it though. Both teams should score and there'll be bookings to beat the band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think Rudiger is more than happy to be very physical and combative - that's his game anyway. It's Alaba I'd worry about more, think he'll get overrun. He's a lovely footballer, and great when you're controlling a game, but not so strong defending against pace and power coming at him continuously. Ideally for this I think they'd be starting Militao and Rudiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It annoys me that Benzema hasn't sorted his wrist out yet!! Wearing that tape with years.

Christ, it's funny seeing the two captains come out - i'd no idea Gundogan was city's captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Didn't Modric only get ruled out of this game with a hamstring injury only a week ago? At his age, that is some unbelievable recovery.

Must have been some amount of horse placentas injected there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I absolutely hate that "yellow later in the game" comment.

A yellow is a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Does Stones usually stay in midfield like that for long periods?

• Advertisement

Ronnie Whelan running out of superlatives for Man City already, But it is a good start for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭trashcan

City certainly on top, but Madrid won’t be too worried. We’ve seen this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Should have been a yellow

Refs just don't help themselves

Not great game so far. Some fouls, some dives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No it's not right. He didn't get a yellow and Ronnie says that's okay because it's inside an imaginary time limit.

Grealish is on the receiving end on 20min and Ronnie is screaming yellow.

Fine bit of theatre there for the "head injury" too.

I think it's an excellent game.

2 teams with contrasting styles going toe to toe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The superlatives all over the place for City already. And they've been great.

But don't pretend Real aren't happy to soak up pressure. Have we all just started watching Real in the CL against talented teams? This is who they are.

**** me.

He's a foot like a traction engine

That's typical of Madrid

Ha i think the match needed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Boom

Brilliant!! Delighted!!!

Fabulous strike.

For all city's possession, Madrid have looked just as dangerous throughout really.

It won't change. Real will try to pick them off and be clinical all tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Camavinga looks genuinely like the next superstar. Seamless at full-back after impressing at so young in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭trashcan

Oh yes ! As Ronnie says, it’s what Madrid do. I was just thinking Ali v Foreman before Daragh mentioned it.

Yup, City having loads and loads of the ball, but in terms of actual properly dangerous possessions it's been fairly even. Madrid quite content with this game plan.

Suspect Man city will still score. Their tiki taka type football can get annoying at time so happy Madrid have scored first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Love that from Carvajal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Pep being out shitehoused by Caraval is glorious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Honestly embarrassing carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I didn't hear the bit about saying its OK. Should definitely have been one no matter the time.

Should be so many yellows

After every foul Man city surrounding the ref. To be honest not a dirty game despite the carry on of carvajal and Grealish

• Advertisement

Half time coming at a good time for the ref - starting to boil over a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No red for that???????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

He's stupidly lenient - is asking for trouble.

Official - the referee is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

City passing it about too much and forgetting this is a CL semi final where they need an end product.

I think Pep should take Grealish off and put Foden on. Carvahal is living rent free in Grealish’ s head. He’ll get him sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Madrid have been dirty. Carvahal shoving Grealish into the hoarding, Rudiger on Gundogan, whatever in the world that Kroos challenge was supposed to be. Ref no control

• Advertisement

I'm not buying all this **** about city.

Pep loves stats. Loves possession. But madrid sat in and let them have it. They had chances, but I'd have made the saves Courtois made. There wasn't a clear cut one.

But as soon as madrid attacked, City looked shaky. That's thr tactic they are going for. They don't care about possession, its the final result.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I mean, Real Madrid are getting away with absoloute murder.......but its very hard to have any sympathy for Man City tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Well said Mr Brady

what’s going on in this ground is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The absolute shythouse masters being outshythoused is just delightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Ref has been very good.

Real showing their experience, I think they'll score a couple in the second half.

Camavinga has been superb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement