Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

The Irish citizens will be the ones suffering, meanwhile Leo will be off joining the International Politicians circuit. He already knows he's dead to the voting public here and forcing through such freedom of speech legislation is 100% an abuse of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The new hate speech legislation might bring one unintended benefit for us plebs in that it may bring a halt to the frequent pictures of Leo picking his nose at public events. At least today he was not wearing shorts, ROFL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

O'Gorman and his dept should not have that brief. An experienced FF or FG TD should but they are too cowardly to take it on. It will do to the Greens what Irish Water did to Labour. Put one of the Simons in charge and prepare for mountains of spoof.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

And if they are layabout, like hundreds of thousands of our own, they should be given a home ?

• Advertisement

interesting article.

I've asked this question here many times. Maybe the fg shills lurks here can explain this to me. Why are you more interested in looking after the welfare xmasses, who will never vote for you, before alienating the " early risers" you said you would look after? Why are many on welfare, some getting more than minimum wage a week, getting frequent e200 cost of living " bonus" when those working , even though they are broke, apparently aren't worthy or in need of it ?

The policy would be the same no matter whom from FFG was in the role. O'Gorman is being told precisely what to do and is the perfect messenger for Modern Ireland. You even look sideways at him and it's hate speech ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭dasa29

What's going on here, still no mention of this poll that came out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I watched The Week in Politics today & only when it was mentioned there that I was aware there was a new poll out. I googled it then but latest I got was last weekends.

So it’s hard to mention views here when the media aren’t broadcasting the poll themselves.

Looking at these results, I’d say FG are in deep sh*t. But I wonder where that 3% increase came from for Ff? Actually on reflection there are some strange pluses & minuses here.

Labour increase. I wonder why?

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭dasa29

I can see where you are coming from regarding the media but I first seen this poll on the RTE news app yesterday evening while I was in Dublin and there were a few tweets late yesterday evening about it.

• Advertisement

I don’t have the RTE app & as I write this post, I still cannot find a mention of it on the Journal who are usually quick off the mark when it comes to polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Looking at these results, I’d say FG are in seen sh*t. But I wonder where that 3% increase came from for Ff? Actually on reflection there are some strange roses & minuses here.

Labour increase. I wonder why?

These kind of within-the-margin-of-error ups and downs are really just statistical noise. This guy, who translates opinion poll results into seat distribution has only had a tiny handful of seats changing hands on a month-by-month basis for the last while, despite supposedly momentous events like the end of the eviction ban

Maybe Gript is on the money for once

Fg need to ditch the useless fool varadkar. Any of their other " options" are a farce too. They need someone from left field... but they need to go more to the right. That's whays losing them their seats. Cowardice

Post edited by Murph85 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The problem is deeper than just Varadkar. As with all incompetent people, Varadkar appointed people who would have been no threat to his position and many of these are possible successors. The FG grassroots voted for Coveney and he would have been a much better choice than the nose-picking Varadkar. The video of him picking his nose as he walked into the KC3 coronation just showed how low the standards had fallen in FG. FG has already lost a few TDs who said they will not run in the next GE and some of them would have been Varadkar supporters. To put it simply for FG and FG supporters here: Varadkar is a disaster for FG and has lost seats for FG in every Dail election run since he replaced Kenny.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Labour is background noise at this stage and movements within the Margin of Error don't really mean much. Like most fringe parties, Labour is at a disadvantage in national polls because its support is geographically concentrated.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

All changes are within the margin of error.

Apart from a quick rise and fall of the Social Democrats, and a slow decline in Sinn Fein, there have been very few trends over this last year. Government vote remains stable, just some movement between the parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Could the government not have sent a TD on the tonight show for the story of this 78 year old on potentially becoming homeless...no a senator will do

It goes against every fibre in my being, but I am seriously considering a vote somewhere on the ballot for SF.....can they actually damage the country any more that the current useless shower?

FF and FG refusal to tackle the housing crisis by invoking emergency powers and building, building, building. In the 1940s-70s the country was a basket case yet we could do it. AWash in cash, we cannot or to be correct refuse to.

The Greens have forced up energy costs with taxes and are hell bent on breaking the farming sector as they have done to the forestry sector.

Morally and intellectually bankrupt, and controlled by a dangerously out of control group of senior civil servants.

The myth of the 1940s to 1970s keeps getting presented as some kind of idyll in Ireland. We didn't even count homelessness then because we didn't care enough. Vast numbers emigrated every year and the population actually decreased from 1951 to 1961 (No wonder we could build houses, no pressure of increasing population). Poverty and joblessness were endemic and real suffering was felt by ordinary people.

How can things get worse?

Unemployment is at incredibly low rates. Anyone who wants a job has one. This is unprecedented in our history. Give Sinn Fein six months and unemployment could double. Now that would bring real suffering.

Government finances have never been healthier. On the housing issue, it is actually incredible that we have taken in so many from Ukraine and elsewhere in the last two years, without the place collapsing. This is to the credit of the government.

Lol... blanch do you go by the name of Leo outside of boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's abundantly clear that they are not taking the housing crisis seriously. The most obvious example is the massive backlog at ABP. Under resourced and no sign of the long promised planning reform legislation. I won't vote SF but I will never vote FG again and I will do my level best to convince others that FFG are untrustworthy in the extreme.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

In 1975 the Irish state built 8,794 social housing units. That was at a time when the population of the state was 3.2mn and we were one of the poorest countries in Europe.

In 2022 the Irish state built 7,433 social housing units (and thats the official government figure which is contested - its arguably too high). This was for a population of 5mn, when we're now one of the richest countries on the planet. The state literally has billions of euros sitting in accounts it isn't spending, including even in the department of housing.

Theres no excuse for this tiny number of builds, we could and should be building 20,000+ social housing units a year. The only reasons we aren't are either deliberate ideological choice from FF&FG, or gross incompetence. Or both.

The state instead of building social housing has been wasting €1bn a year of tax payers money on HAP. That would build 4000 2bed apartments a year, which would actually leave the state holding long term assets, and would take low income people out of the private rental sector cooling it down for everyone else. But our FF&FG government many years ago decided against this, and focused on HAP instead, which we're now seeing the results of.

The imaginary emergency powers that would allow you to build 100,000 houses in six months.

CM

Add Labour to the list You mentioned in Your last sentence. After gilmore’s burton, Kelly shenanigans they certainly cannot be trusted ever again.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Where will you find the construction workers to build the 20,000 social units, on top of the non social housing units that are required?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

The vacancy rate for offices in Dublin in 2019 was 5.1%. Its been increasing every year since as huge numbers of office projects come online, and is projected to hit 15% in 2023. Enough office space to accommodate 30,000 office workers is being completed per year in Ireland currently. Perhaps some of the huge number of construction workers working on these unneeded office blocks could be better put to use solving the house emergency?

2,200 new hotel bedrooms were constructed in 2022 in Dublin alone. Do you think the construction workers building these hotels might have been able to build apartments instead if we were you know, in a housing emergency that needed prioritising?

Thats not even getting into more creative ways. The state imports 15,000 largely Eastern European seasonal agricultural workers to do fruit picking and other farm work every summer. Perhaps over the other 75% of the year we could do the same with construction workers from the region using the same already existing accommodation?

Or we could get even more creative and build modular homes for large numbers of imported construction workers to use while they help to resolve the crisis, the way we're now doing for refugees. But that apparently wasn't, and isn't, an option for construction workers...

The issue isn't a lack of workers, thats solvable. Its a decade of deliberate political decision making to not build housing units.

Stop the building of data centres and any new commercial office development for a start. Stop the retrofitting of older homes for insulation etc, after decades of living with it, they can wait until people without a roof over their head or robbed on rent, get a home...

These td’s must really take us mere mortals as eejits:

https://www.thejournal.ie/new-allowance-for-td-security-6064041-May2023/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Maybe if people hadn't started turning up at their homes they wouldn't need it...

Advertisement