Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭maximus15

Lads we could send a band made up of bono, niall horan, Daniel o donnell, dermot Kennedy, hozier and christy moore with boyzone and westlife in a choir in the background and still prob wouldn't get to a final at this stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

Our song as usual was bland, forgettable and there was no onstage show except a guy prancing about in a glitter suit. For a country that produced such a spectacle as Riverdance, we now produce thoughtless, soulless acts that have no hook or differentiating quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭weadick

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah but that's irrelevant to the act or the national song contest or the Eurovision.

If everyone associated with the entertainment industry was to be cancelled because they may be a vile individual, there wouldn't be an entertainment industry.

The delight at the group failing is not so much about the group itself, or indeed the music, but at the thought policing, the high handed judgementalism from a bunch of no-mark kids and people generally being sick to the back teeth of being patronised to and being directed as to what they should think and champion.

That and them can all go and get f**ked, please and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,499 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In my 50s.

Ireland is not a unique country when it comes to TV and viewer habits.

All other countries hold national contests on national broadcasters and do fine.

Ireland using the Late Late Show is just wrong. A younger audience is required unique acts should be selected for choice. Not music to Irish taste or what feels like “Eurovision”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The thing the stuff that gets in - has no real formula ? It is such a mad mix - we send songs - they send acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hotirish

Not our worst effort but the lads made a balls of it, that outfit was a shocker, Harry Styles he ain’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,809 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Bring back Eimear Quinn

They seemed nice lads - must be some come down - in Liverpool and going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Send panti bliss, singing a song penned by bono!

De-sper-a-tion ooh ooh oooh.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I say the same thing every year about Irelands song…. It’s about 4-5 years too late!!!! Has this been Eurovision 2018 or 2019, that song would have qualified….

we always seem to send a song similar to what everyone else was doing a few years ago…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,499 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes. You are correct.

3 finalists could vote tonight and 3 on Thursday.

Unless we can we can buy in like the uk etc we may as well not bother

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very decent shout Róisín Murphy is just quirky enough!

My shout for years has been Lyra a proper Irish voice, with the right song could fly.

This is true - if you look at some of the winners over the last ten years - they were something very new like Portugal one and dude with violin, to a dance act or crazy act - we are trying to do other people's originality - when we should do our own - like Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

Not a woman in sight. That's part of our problem. Sex sells and we don't send it.

• Basically we pick a bland song, selected by an audience of Late Late Show viewers and that seems to involve a judging panel that pick stuff that is very X-Factor-ish and manufactured pop that has no audience outside of Ireland and the immediate anglophone world.

We might as well just give up, because unless we change strategy we are just wasting our time even bothering to enter.

RTE is just stuck in a rut on this. I mean, other than an audience of Eurovision diehards, I doubt most people would even be bothered watching now. You might as well put the rest of the event on the RTE News channel on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Chat GPT has pened next years song..

On the Emerald Isle, where the skittles flow

Fluffy sheep roam free, in fields aglow

Rainbows brighten up the sky, a sight to see

But war is never the answer, it's not the way to be

Chorus:

Spread love and joy, let the turf be dug

GAA on TV, for all to snug

Winning Eurovision, would make Marty happy

Russia can't stop us, we're not that sappy

Corncrakes are rare, but we keep them near

Not getting to the a semi, would make Marty shed a tear

Verse 2:

Ireland, oh Ireland, where the GAA is king

Let's make it free to air, for all to sing

Rainbows symbolize our pride, a message of hope

But war and violence, we cannot cope

Chorus:

Bridge:

Let's unite and stand together, with love in our hearts

Let's keep the beauty of our land, with all its different parts

Skittles, love, and fluffy sheep, they're all we need

Let's keep striving for peace, with every single deed

Chorus:

Outro:

On the Emerald Isle, where the music flows

Let's keep spreading love, as our story goes

Rainbows, sheep, and skittles, they're our treasures rare

Let's keep shining our light, with love and care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

Cuckoos Nest from the toy show would be fairly epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Next year same outcome because nobody in RTE has the slightest interest in selecting a competitive entry. Not the slightest hint of accountability for the licence fee spent and the poor results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭archfi

^this

as well as it being absolutely woeful song and performance.

The guy, like us, can have opinions and from what I read I agree with him on most

A ‘sewer’ indeed, says more about the intolerant and #bekind crowd than anything the sacked guy tweeted

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Last few times I seen her - felt her vocals have faded to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They've a unique sense of style, can sing and will create publicity wherever they go. Mother Burke has to be included. They could sing about looking for John Rogers! It's our only option for 2024!

Sorry I forgot to mention Mary black and mit as well throw in linda martin to keep abit of control over them all then .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭robwen

Mark McCabe Maniac 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 72,690 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

If further proof is needed that RTE are out of touch, listen back (if you dare, let your blood pressure drop first) to Ray D’Arcy’s radio show earlier today.

Tuning in, you’d think it was the year 1998!

Marty and Dustin as guests, Linda Martin co-hosting, being asked the same questions and giving the same answers as every year (“How did you feel when you won?” “I was the only one sober”), a snippet of all the winning songs from the 90’s (as if people needed reminding).

Beyond embarrassing.

It's a non runner unfortunately as they are in court every day that week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I'm surprised Eurovision is still a thing. I gave up on it almost 30 years ago. The fact you are not allowed play an instrument live is a disgrace to music.

Advertisement