Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 keil1234

Can Irish lenders pull a credit report from abroad or can they only look at credit from within Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't think they can get it themselves, but they can request you to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 keil1234

Ok thanks, I am almost at the drawdown stage and wondering for final checks if they will need it again (I provided it at the early stage) just trying to get ahead of things incase they ask. I’ve seen people say that a credit check is part of final checks

Our credit checks were done at underwriting stage, once that was approved we were only asked for a payslip for myself at drawdown. We're with PTSB via a broker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Our mortgage master with EBS is extremely confident that we’ll get full approval for the max amount we can qualify for.

do these guys have a very good idea on how an application will go and fecking let us get disappointed then if it goes tits up.

has anyone had experience like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Very good day yesterday after a terrifying month of radio silence, contracts exchanged, all funds transferred, final inspection done, hopefully only another week in it.

Second bid in on our house today. Asking price offered. So hopefully that’ll kick off things and we go a bit over…

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Purchasing s new build, hope to get keys in the coming weeks.

Builder mentioned about getting life cover & home insurance as likely to be required by lender before final drawdown.

A couple of questions:

1. For life cover, should we be getting a joint policy as a couple buying the house or get individual policies?

2. For the home insurance, getting a quote of around 250 euro, (330k rebuild cost & 25k contents insurance). Put down we have a standard alarm, even though we dont yet but will do. Any chance they will find out we dont have an alarm in just yet?

3. As we havent drawndown or got they keys, is it ok to put a home insurance policy start date of in advance of getting the keys?

4. Is accidental home cover for 45 euro worth it or dont bother with it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Just on point No. 2 above, you have made a false declaration, which nullifies your insurance now and in the future. Insurance companies are not your friend. They will use EVERYTHING to not have to pay out. Just be aware.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does an alarm make much of a difference to the insurance on a normal estate semi-d do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

he will just get an alarm when they move in id assume , which would make everything grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

His plan is to install the alarm around the time when he moves in.

I'm not sure about the not being your friend bit. If you area drunk driver or a speeding driver or a dangerous driver they would still pay out I'd assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Has anyone used a moving company to save hassle and stress? We're moving around 3km, from a standard 3 bed and got a quote of 2.5k to pack and move which seems pretty high. Anyone able to make a recommendation or share experience of pricing?

We moved about 5km from an apartment to a 3 bed house. Bought 30 large boxes from Adverts at €1 each and hired a GoVan for the day for €65 including fuel, etc. It was a long day but I had two mates helping. Buying is costly enough, I'd rather keep the €2.5k if at all possible.

We don't mind packing and moving clothes etc but we also have furniture which complicates things, two double beds, a cot, a chest of drawers, table and chairs, and a couch. So on that basis we were trying to relieve some stress as we are intending moving on the same day we close so a relatively short window of time and likely just myself and my wife moving the items. So if we got the keys for the new house at 4pm we would be fairly goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I moved in Dublin last year; fairly packed 3-bed to a more spacious house a few km away, think we paid €1,400 in the end for packing and moving. Well worth it to be honest, same as yourself trying to do it ourselves or with friends and a van wouldn't have been really possible, too much to deal with plus two small kids! Happy to recommend via PM if you are in Dublin or Wicklow, not sure the crowd we used would service anywhere else.

Storage units? If I move in the near future I’ve got a quote of €68 a week to keep our furniture and so in a unit. They also give you a van to move it in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We are moving in the next couple of months (we hope). From a 4-bed semi to a 4-bed detached.

Our plan is to rent a storage unit for 4 weeks (€50 per week) which will cost €200. Start filling it with smaller items 2 weeks before our move

Then on moving day, borrow or hire a van to move all of our bulky furniture (in our case, it's not too much as we are getting rid of a few things, and leaving others behind - so just 3 beds, a sofa, 2 armchairs, a sit/stand-desk, and some chests of drawers/small units)

Kids will probably stay with grandparents for a few days while we do some painting etc and we will slowly move the furniture and boxes in from the storage unit.

Will probably be able to borrow a van from family, so the whole thing should be pretty cheap.

I don't deny it's a lot more stress than handing it over to a moving company, but we would rather spend that money on furniture.

That sounds more in the region we were hoping for, would you mind PMing the details?

I do like the idea of the storage and doing it ourselves, just not sure it's practical as I would likely need to take time off work and at this stage I'd be happy to pay a reasonable fee such as the above to save some holiday days for after we get in and are trying to get everything sorted and settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Very little difference in cost. Try generating 2 quotes for yourself. One with alarm and one without.

• Advertisement

Bidding war has broken out on our house. Went from a start of €210k now it’s at €228k!! Mad 24 hours. Still waiting on EBS and BOI to get back to me ie AIP for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Redkite200

Sorry if off topic / wrong thread; just wondering if lack of fibre broadband has been a stumbling block for anyone?

MY OH works from home and we have been doing a few viewings and checking listings and surprised to see quite a few homes not included in the national rollout plan despite being far from remote locations.

Would lack of fibre BB availability put anyone off buying if your current and immediate future income depended on a fast reliable internet service to WFH (as well as the usual other uses like streaming / gaming / wifi calls etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

We have adsl bb which we use as a backup to a huawei mobile bb tower which is faster, these have been fine for wfh for us both.

We have recently being added to a fibre area due to the national bb rollout, and so have applied for that, so hopefully will notice the difference.

I will be keeping the mobile bb box as its great to bring when away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

If you have engaged an estate agent to sell your house and then you decide later that you don’t want to go ahead with the sale, are you still liable for the EA fees? Thanks

If they've worked on it then I would expect they'll want at least a partial fee paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A lot of new estates don't have fibre installed. I've found that 4G+ is good enough for 2 people WFH. Vodafone had a deal with a 5G Huawei router that I have in the attic. Huawei sell network points to boost the signal in the house.

You can use speedtest.net to check speeds on your phone and every provider has a coverage map on their website.

I get consistent 100Mb download which is better than Imagine broadband is offering at twice the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

A house advertised on auctioneera was up without any offers for over a month or so. We viewed first time and there were no offers, and we viewed second time a week later (they made it open viewing) and expressed interest although at under 20k lower price as the house needs some work. Couple of hours later saw offer 5k below asking price and another offer matching asking price next day, which triggered 15 day timer. Although i think there could be a genuine buyer bidding, still the timing makes me feel its not a real offer. Any one had experience with Auctioneera? Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

We moved to the sticks last year to a house not (yet) covered by nbi, we looked into options before finalising to make sure it would work as hubby is full time wfh in I.T there are plenty of options outside of the mainstream providers that cater for rural homes. Also satellite broadband is available too. What we have now is on par with what we had in Dublin suburbs and less expensive

Anyone have advice for this.

2 couples have come back with the same offer but have basically given an ultimatum wanting a decision in the next few days… the EA has said one couple are let’s say a bit ott, stayed two hours doing the viewing taking pictures and wanting stuff like our garden furniture as part of the deal etc.. the other couple in my view feel like they really want the house and this has been said to the EA. Were €8.5k over asking price now and it’s where it’s at I can’t see it going another €1.5/€2k.

our problem is that we don’t feel comfortable saying we’ll go sake agreed unless we can look ourselves! It’s been torture waiting and yes we probably jumped the gun a few weeks early but I got the jitters when it came to getting what we wanted price wise for the house!

our heads are frazzled! It’s exciting but extremely stressful. House is only on the market 17 days! WAY ahead of what I thought would happen.

has anyone any experience like this or even close to it? Need advice.

the EA is only doing her job telling us the situation but feck it’s happening fast!

• Advertisement

In the process of buying a house with them. Very little interest in the house at viewings, we went sale agreed around 60k lower than two similar houses on the same road at the same time. We viewed all three and little difference. Still find it too hard to believe how lucky we seem to have gotten. We triggered the bidding process with an offer at asking, it got expedited from 15 days to 7 and nobody else bid. Have found them good to deal with and at this point just waiting on the sellers solicitor to send us a contract.

Advertisement