Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

So the LLS bumped another guest to a later date...

Philly MacMahon, Rory's Stories, and the governor of mountjoy prison got bumped to a 'later date' so Ryan could interview Catriona Perry...

She's not leaving until late May- was it really THAT important that she be interviewed immediately? And Philly, Rory, and G'uvnor are making a TV show for RTE. Using the flagship RTE show to NOT promote a TV show.. how goddamn dumb is that?

Even gave her five minutes to promote her 'new' channel...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ryan looking for a nudge nudge wink wink with the BBC powers that be

There were elements of that, alright... with his 'you're probably more interested in American politics than I am'...

But at 50, the likes of the Beeb wouldn't want Ryan. I mean, he tried breaking in over there before, and if the UK can't understand him, the USA will be confused as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ireland can't understand him ffs

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Looks like everyone who could possibly be linked with TLLS is backing away rapidly so RTE may end up with no choice but to cancel it 🤣

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoTelly

RTÉ and the King's Coronation

I tend not to get bogged down in politics in this thread. But I can't hold my tongue. Firstly, I have no problem with RTÉ airing the King's coronation, I didn't watch, but I had hoped that RTÉ would simply air BBC's coverage of the event along with some Irish commentators, every now and then Mary Kennedy could pipe up "... John its interesting when you think about but his great great great grandmother was known as the Famine Queen ..." with John Bowman replying "... yes it is important to note Ireland's relationship with the royal family...", though even with such a slight I be annoyed two retirees were commenting from RTÉ Studios in Dublin.

But ... and here is the but ... 3 reporters sent to London to cover this ... an hour long six one news ... I didn't watch the nine ... but David McCullough interviewing the First Minister, An Taoiseach and the President in LONDON, why not have John Kilrane do those interviews ... or if you have little faith in John ... have David interview An Taoiseach and the President before the leave for LONDON and the NI corrospondent could interview the First Minister.

There was no need for this type coverage on RTÉ... and before you all reply ...

1. What's RTÉ's coverage of the local elections in NI looking like?
    2. What's RTÉ's news programmes like during the Eurovision next week?
    3. Why do they take a long break at Summer Time?
    4. And do they really have the money to send people off to LONDON?
    5. Did they show the Prince Andrew interview with News Night?

TLLS and TUBS

Really there are maybe 5 possibly RTÉ replacements, 3 replacements that are well known in England and none from either VMTV or TG4 that I can think of ... if TUBS is the best RTÉ have failed to develop other so called "talent", it should show you the **** show that is RTÉ.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just on the mention of U.K./London correspondent John Kilraine….. ever since he went to London I’ve felt it’s been a massive step down from Sean Whelan…

just always seems to only half know what he’s trying to say, and constantly checking notes/phone to remind himself of what he’s trying to put across….

sorry, and I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but it’s just bugged me since he got the gig…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

so the Rte/GAAgo controversy takes a surprising turn, turns out that RTE are 50% shareholders in it and are in cahoots with the GAA to gouge more money through that by airing less games through tv. VM dropped them right in it.

Watched Ciara Doherty discussing it on the Tonight Show, and quoted how how one politician has referred to this as a 'back-door license fee increase', which I'm hesitant to disagree with.

It's a very disturbing business deal, but shows you the greed of both organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hell why give the lowlifes something for free when we can charge for it - what's more concerning is that this was never disclosed and now some feeble excuse there was no other interested parties i.e. we never asked anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is this why they've come up with a format with a lot more matches?

The always pull the 'RTE is the state national broadcaster' as if that entitles them to first come, first served... but as you noted, they never approached anyone else.

When the GAA signed a deal with SKY, RTE were probably having the biggest conniption over not having exclusive rights. What they were REALLY annoyed about was that the GAA had basically taken the major money from Sky Sports to air the matches, and had sold it to the highest bidder. RTE's sports division has been in the crapper for years, so this 'service' from the people who can't get the RTE player to work, feels like an ever more egregious backdoor charge.

It is great to see all those who heralded the arrival of sky do a complete U turn with GAA GO.

The sky deal was never good it was always about Sky loosing rights to BT, once that dust settled Sky moved on. I really love to see the figures for new GAA clubs around Britian during that time, I am LMAO.

Turns out, very clearly stated back then in 2014. Shhh don't tell anyone but RTÉ owned 50% of LoI TV and owns 50% of URC TV. https://www.urc.tv/

The issue is with the structure of these companies, they should be at arms length.

As for VMTV they would have been aware of Sky's exit did they approach the GAA for rights as I have always said VMTV have as much, if not more, chance of securing the TG4 set of matches only they choose not to.

I feel no sorrow for the GAA heads who thought the Sky Deal was so amazing, same deal different company only now the BBC will actually air the finals live on BBC TWO across Britain, a far better deal from a "progressing the game" perspective.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Dee Forbes and the head of sport in RTE Declan McBennett, are both directors in Gaago media ltd.

In a personal capacity? How does that work?

They would be appointed by RTÉ as members of the board as RTÉ are 50% holders of the company.

Really just a governance role more than a management role. But most likely the RTÉ's group head of sport should not be on the board and the Director of Strategy and the Director of Commercial should be the board members on GAA Go.

Once Dee Forbes goes from RTÉ she will no long be involve in GAA Go.

______

Yesterday

Kind of guessed this, it is strange that VMTV/TV3 haven't changed over the years but that Management seem to kind spout the same kind of stuff.

1. From as early as February 2021, the GAA contacted VMTV and other parties to gauge their interest in acquiring rights packages that would become available in the renewal of the GAA media rights in 2022. The initial call was followed up by a detailed description of the various packages available.

2. Thereafter followed several meetings, telephone calls, emails and document exchanges between the parties.

3. The GAA did not receive a formal bid from VMTV or an expression of interest.

4. In June 2022, VMTV were again contacted to clarify that they did not intend to make a bid. VMTV were clear that their model was not to acquire rights but rather to acquire ‘ready to go’ packages ie productions which don’t require outside broadcast set-ups for live match coverage.

5. In short, VMTV were afforded every opportunity to discuss options, variations to packages and to submit a confidential offer. VMTV choose not to bid.

AKA we don't actually want to make programming.

______

Yesterday

VMTV have come back and said this is not true what they said !!!

And on that front the from CEO of TV3 believe them but not on how badly the organisation was run when he sold them at a massive loss from 265m in 2006 to 80m in 2016!

here was his take

https://twitter.com/DavidMcredmond/status/1655993384165572636

______

Yesterday

Nobody wants to watch sports in VM's potato vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

RTE really are taking the Mick with their scheduling. "How to be good with money" repeat this evening from probably a couple of years back. Followed by "Cheap Irish houses" repeat from a couple of years back as well. Both going out at prime viewing times. The whole organisation is a bit of a farce at this stage. Can only see it going further downhill at this stage.

It's gotten to the stage that you've got one or two shows per day that are new, and the rest are repeats. I can understand the eurosong/ eurovision would disrupt things, but next week will be the same, and there won't be an excuse for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Lord above "Hospital live", as if there wasn't enough pain and disease in this world, who in heavens name watches this stuff for entertainment, it's like a parody at this stage

I feel the same for VMTV's inside the hospice.

I understand the need to confront death, and sort of move away from the fear it inspires.

But also... I've been thru that with a family member. And I don't want or need to revisit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Joe Duffy will be walking around with a wigwam on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK in which Gaelic matches are shown on terrestrial TV. In Great Britain, viewers who want to see matches being shown by BBC NI can only do so via satellite dish, cable or the iPlayer.

Part of the deal will mean that BBC will show one of the All Ireland Finals across Britain on Terrestial/FTA channels.

This landmark agreement means that the All-Ireland semi-finals will be broadcast on BBC iPlayer and that either the All-Ireland Senior Football Final, or the All Ireland Hurling final, will be shown ‘live’ on BBC network television – bringing these fixtures to a UK-wide audience.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

In 1992, in the immediate aftermath of the Teebane bombing, Brooke was a guest on the Late Late Show. Gay Byrne tried to coax him into singing Danny Boy. Instead, Brooke sang Oh My Darling Clementine.

Obviously, Brooke himself was criticised for singing on TV just after a Troubles massacre.

But it seems that Byrne and RTÉ were not criticised.

What was Gay Byrne thinking when tried to get a Danny Boy rendition out of Brooke? Did Byrne forget about what had just happened at Teebane?

Here we go again. Not even in the job and Himself and the chair ( Siún Ní Raghallaigh) met with the Minister and main political figures (excluding SF at least that seems to be the case)

If I could add a poll the options would be : -

1. Defund: Time to stop funding RTÉ, let it stand on its own 2 feet
    2. Reform: Time for An Post to collect it better and for RTÉ to make reforms internally (But keep as is)
    3. Reduce: the number of services provided by RTÉ to RTÉ 1, RTÉ Radio 1, RnaG and RTÉ News (along with online services such as the player)
    4. Wait: for another report that defines what we really want from Public Service Broadcasting.

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

Won't happen before the next election. If SF are in it definitely won't happen. At least have a fair system though if they must have a license and have everyone pay that should.

I'd argue it's a public service and should come from general taxation anyway.

• Advertisement

None of the political parties are looking for any change when it comes to this.

An example of why it should not come from General Taxation

In 2011 Eamon Ryan in an GP/FF government increase funding to RTÉ via the licence fee (in line with inflation AFAIA)... this was the last time it was increased ... it stands at €160 per year... however TG4 is funded by direct taxation and the same government cut funding from the excheucre to TG4 ... and replace it with funding from the license fee ... this was not reversed until 2018.

Perhaps An Post might get better at collecting the fee.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement