Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭techman1

the BBC brought him back, RTE seem to have cancelled Dustin in the last few years although he was back on with Ray Darcy today

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

How very dare people turn around and joke and mock him over a camel toe. For people to notice it, they would have had to zoom in on him and pause it to notice such a thing.

My focus was on the performance and not on his crotch and camel toe. They gave it their best and they were good. There was a powerful display on that stage from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That's what happened. The suit was made out of Shape Memory Polymer.

He'll know in the future. Lesson learned. Don't borrow your wardrobe from people of the opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought the song was ok. Forgettable but better than some that went through. Our staging let us down. I could see from the beginning that it looked very staid and not very dramatic. It didn’t get better. I really think nowadays people aren’t really paying attention to the thing full time. I suspect most of what catches people is the quick voting reminder snippets and the staging helped the other songs in this regard. RTE should be embarrassed. They should have the people to choreograph and creatively stage the entry. . What I saw was something put together by people doing the bare minimum to get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

When he called Pat Kenny a plank to his face on the Toy Show, that was the final straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

The problem is with RTÉ. RTÉ operate like we are in the late 90s to early 00s. Everything they do is so outdated, clunky and cheap. No way on earth would RTÉ send the likes of what qualified to Eurovision. We send stuff that would do well in the early 00s. We roll out the likes of Linda Martin and Louis Walsh to choose our entries. Unless RTÉ is scrapped or modernised for the 2020's we will have this discussion after failing to qualify annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

• Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

How in the hell, in the weeks leading up to it, did anyone not see him wearing it and suggest he just wear a shirt and pants or something?

• Since we were doing ChatGPT potential Eurovision entries, I asked it to write one in Irish:

Anyone who's fluent care to comment?

Verse 1:

Ag seasamh ar an tsráid seo,

Ar an mbealach istigh dom

Tharraing tú mé isteach,

I mo chroí tá tú go fóill.

Chorus:

Is tú mo chéadsearc,

Tá mé i ngrá leat go deo,

Mar dhéanfainn arís é,

Ag gearán ar mo bhróin.

Verse 2:

Ag casadh timpeall thart,

I bhfad ó na réaltaí,

Tá mé ag smaoineamh ort,

Agus ar na rudaí a rinne mé do dhéanamh.

Chorus

Verse 3:

Ag taisteal ar an mbóthar seo,

Tá mé ag smaoineamh ar na laethanta a chaill mé,

Táim ag iarraidh ort bheith in éineacht liom,

Mar tá tú an áit a bhfuil mo chroí.

Chorus

• Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

When I saw Lesley Roy having a nervous breakdown running to keep up with a bunch of paper cut outs and Brooke's dancers wearing Penneys pyjamas I knew we were fecked in the long run.

• Advertisement

I thought the Netherlands were robbed tonight. It was one of the strongest songs in the collection I think. I feel bad for them. They deserved better.

• I wonder though how long this losing streak will be allowed to continue. I just see a lot of people becoming a bit jaded and cynical about the whole thing at this stage.

We haven't won the competition in 27 years and most years we seem to fail to qualify.

In all of the songs that actually did well, the only one that really stands out to me as very different was Eimear Quinn - The Voice. The rest all fit a rather similar sound and formula. At least that was TOTALLY different, if a bit Riverdance-ish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That was the shittiest entry we`ve had in years tonight.

We need to go a bit mad if we`ve to qualify again never mind win.

Death metal / Irish Trad crossover with a bit of techno thrown in for good measure and a midget dressed up as a leprechaun dancing around a pot of gold.

Something catchy as gaeiige that they`ll be dancing to in Magaluf next summer.

Never mind qualifying - we`ll win it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

How can anyone take this **** seriously? The song after Ireland (Croatia was it?) was unintentionally funny it was so bad. And went thru.

Tonight was the first time in a good few years I bothered to watch any of it. Think I'll be gone for a few years again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I think something like this could do well for us. Good female lead singer, proper band, bit of tin whistle and a trad element mixed in. This band are Swiss actually, but something along these lines.

• They need to bring someone like Róisín Murphy in as a consultant and pick something totally out there and stop being so 'safe' or we will simply languish in the doldrums of the Eurovision qualifiers for all eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

We are null, we are null, RTÉ put us through, even tho we are muck, my mickey will not rise, will not rise, will not rise, in this tight golden jumpsuit.

Yeah not sure what country they are but I think they followed us but yeah, camp super Mario bros and really the ding was S H I TE. It really wasn’t far off what we sent with Dustin. That crap robbed a more deserving act a final place.

It's neighbouring countries all voting for each other. Its all political now.

Some of Irelands biggest songs that's played nearly everywhere is wagon wheel and Galway girl. Something that you linked to would be too hard on the ears of many Irish and it would be too bold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Reading that, I'm reassured that I won't be fooled by any Irish content produced by ChatGPT. For now anyway...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I think tge problem with RTE is that they’re in bed with promoters and management. I had an inkling at the time of the national final that the plan always was for Wild Youth to be the anointed act. It struck me as a back room deal done with a record company or management. Exposure for a few other more promising artists and John Lydon was put in as a straw horse to mobilise the younger ones to vote for their boys just to hammer the message home. One of the jury was from Sony Musuc I think as well. That didn’t sit right with me. Until we get away from this circle jerking we’re pretty much doomed to send the same shîte year after year with no change.

• To be fair, it's still better than Ireland's call!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭ozmo

I remember watching on TV one year - and they did a trick where you could tune a Radio in as well and listen in Stereo! :)

Stereo was very rare in TVs until maybe late 90's.

“Roll it back”

• NICAM Digital Stereo took a while to be fully rolled out. RTE used to do some simulcasting of film soundtracks on FM3 Music (Lyric FM's predecessor that frequency shared with RnaG) too. It wasn't universally available in the UK either until the mid 90s.

Analogue "A2" Stereo TV sound (basically like FM radio) was widely available much earlier in Germany and many other PAL countries certainly since the early 80s, but the UK drove NICAM digital stereo as the standard, so it went on air about a decade or more later.

That's why RTE had all those weird simulcasting things for the Eurovision and movies and so on.

The Eurovision would have been produced in stereo probably since 1981 and RTE could certainly have picked up the stereo feeds and just shoved them out over FM and because there was no processing delay in analogue TV or radio, they'd have been in sync.

Yes, that's the problem, we need the balls to say to hell with what's popular in Ireland, send something a bit mad and unique that people all over Europe will remember.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭unichick

Why did Wild Youth change lead singer? The other guy has a much better voice. I saw them supporting Lewis Capaldi nearly a year ago.

The guy who sang tonight was very nervous at the start. They still deserved to go through however. Croatia & Serbia please 🙄

• Advertisement

Novelty, but not comedy taking the mickey out of the competition. Something that isn't a bland, run of the mill pop song. To my mind there are two ways to win it.

Option A, send something with novelty factor, but that's a good song in it's own right. Like rock/metal with a trad element, some lyrics as Gaeilge, druid costumes. Think Lordi but with a good female vocalist, more traditional ancient clothing than Warhammer costumes and some trad elements.

Option B, write a song that people everywhere actually like and want to listen to. A la Euphoria. That's a lot harder.

Advertisement