Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

Oh don't get me wrong, you still need a Switch. The compatibility list is very limited. Other than this one game I haven't even bothered playing anything else outside of the Switch.

That's the Santa present sorted for 2024 😄 Assuming there is no chip shortage nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My (admittedly limited) understanding was that Breath of the Wild had a particularly strong emulation scene because there was a WiiU version, and that console’s emulation is much further along.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The guys working on the Switch emulator have stepped away from supporting TOTK emulation pre release as they don't want to place a target on their foreheads for Nintendo's lawyer brigade. Seems that there's been some unofficial support being worked on but it's a mess to find any of it and there's some concern over how safe it is, some of it was hosted in Belarus. A lot of chat about it has been banned pre release.

The Switch emulation has moved on a bit now and is compatible with a good handful Switch games. Still no replacement for owning a Switch. But BoW is fantastic in 60fps, both on Wii U emulator and Switch emulator.

Edit: yeah actually the Wii emulator is better.

Also, TotK has been emulated...

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I wonder will Ubisoft announce a Fenyx Rising sequel once they are finished copying the mechanics over from TOTK. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

I am torn between wanting to play TOTK and being pretty confident TOTK super enhanced edition for Nintendo’s next console will be available as a launch title in Q3 2024.

(my launch day Switch is semi-broken and I don’t want to buy more games for it…but do I really want to spring for a new one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭eggy81

I assume you are talking a pretty well specced pc to do it to a decent level though? I doubt a steam deck has the horsepower surely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Great video on what made botw's open world so intoxicating.

I don't have a steam deck, but i wouldnt rule it out. The thing I notcie is you need to enable async shader compilation otherwise its quite stuttery even on a high spec pc. Does steam deck have many cores? If so it will probably be alright. I'm sure it's been tried before if you search the forums.

The emulators come in portable format, so no installation needed which I'm sure helps the steam deck. There's also a .net based emulator, meaning Linux compatability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I didn't watch the video too busy playing The Witcher 3. I own BOTW and played a couple of hours of it but W3 is far better imo. Weapons breaking at any moment is annoying. Witcher 3 you can monitor the weapon and get it fixed at blacksmith or fix it yourself with the weapon kits that you can buy or find. A far better system. But I stared the W3 years ago as well as BOTW and now I'm hooked which I wasn't at first and I'm glad I came back to it. I should really go back to BOTW and give it a proper go but I remember hanging on the side of a cliff while it's raining and kept sliding and said I will wait out the rain but the rain never stopped. Someone on here said one time I mentioned about rain and climbing that there is a trick to climbing but I never learned it in my limited time with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭eggy81

I put hundreds of hours into botw without ever finishing it. As did my young lad. Amazing game. Really should get back and finish it before the Totk.

There's one area that never stops raining until you complete the divine beast. It was probably there and it's like that so you can't skip past the story segments. The rain is also part of the story.

As for weapons, you collect more weapons than you ever need so just use them. There's even a mechanic where you can increase damage by throwing a near broken weapon.

The video is about the open world. Whatever about the witcher 3, it's open world is pretty poor in comparison.

Zelda reviews will be out midday tomorrow it seems.

People queuing outside the Nintendo store in New York, even though there is a reservation system and they don't need to queue.

🤔🤔🤔

Anyway, when's the Wii U version coming out with the map on the GamePad feature 😁😁😁

Also ... Developer insights here ... Not going to read until I start playing the game ...

And finally the new Zelda Switch ...

😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For all the games I've eagerly anticipated in recent years, I do have to say the excitement (both my own and the general cultural hype) around Tears of the Kingdom is bringing me back to the glory childhood and teenage days of waiting for massive games like MGS2. Really feels like a big, exciting release. Not sure if the game can possibly live up to the hype, but given BotW is a known quantity at least it should recapture some of that magic! Can't wait to dive in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

I didn't even like BOTW all that much, I enjoyed it but I enjoyed HZD which came out at around the same time much more, and about a month ago TOTK wasn't particularly high on my radar, but the previews that started coming out have got me totally hyped for it as I love the look of the gameplay and the possibilities it affords.

And I don't think I've ever felt so personally targeted by a video game commercial as the one they've made for this.

I'm not as excited as I should be but I get the feeling this will be a bit like Mario Odyssey and Galaxy 2 where I went in expecting something good but more of the same and ended up blown away by how good they are.

Hoping amazon deliver friday but my weekend is looking busy so might not get a chance to play it until sunday.

Eurogamer moving to a 5 star system for reviews:

Always liked Eurogamer being brave with their no review score system meaning you had to read the text to get the reviewers true feelings. This feels like pandering to the vocal platform fan crowd that were butt hurt when their ubi-style monogame didn't get a recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, I felt the same with that ad. Well, at least until the part when he was back on the bus - I would never be so evil as to play there without earphones. 🤬

• Advertisement

I do think the essential/recommend/avoid system was a worthwhile experiment but created its own issues. Far from people engaging with the text as intended, it meant anything that had 'no badge' was seen by many (regrettably) as a pan of sorts - especially given EG was quite generous with 'recommended' in particular. It's silly, but alas that's how it ended up being perceived. It almost de facto created a four-tier rating system, which is basically a five-star rating system already.

I've mellowed a bit on rating systems a bit over recent years since Metacritic scores don't carry quite the same weight as they once did, and 'five stars' is the most natural option in that regard. But I also have a lot of respect for the sites that go 'review only' with maybe only a single 'recommended / best of the best' badge for the cream of the crop.

You can have your cake and you can eat it too !

Or eat your cake and have it too. Because obviously if you have the cake you can eat it, that's normal. But you can't eat it and then have it too.

I starting checking out BotW on PC emulator just as a nerdy thing to see how it works and now I'm totally hooked again. Plays really well by the way for anyone interested. Only glitch I've seen is the cut scenes audio gets overlapped at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was about 20 seconds away from hopping in my car and going to buy a Switch so I could finally play BOTW and then TOTK, but snapped myself out of it because I know I'll never use the Switch for anything else after.

Maybe I should review alternative options.... 🤔

Do it. You can play some actual good platformers instead of pretending ratchet and clank is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

EU apparently set to approve the activision deal. It's rte, but taken from a reuteurs feed.

• Advertisement

There are a tonne of great exclusives for the Switch - even more if you, like most people, didn’t even a Wii U. Zelda’s extraordinary for sure, but plenty of other games that would appeal to a very broad player base. A great piece of hardware with a peerless catalogue, albeit with the caveat we’ll likely get a successor in 2024.

Advertisement