Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling- what’s gone wrong and where do we go from here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed

It's the same with any sport. FAO the comment about the 'lower level' teams. It's the same in every sport - Cut size would be based off team standing surely; and if you're not featured on it, you're not paid.

Obviously that payment would be a taxable payment beyond their expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭howiya

When you say it I presume you mean GAAGo?

To follow Mullane's point to its logical conclusion the players are the product and should get some of the revenue. Why don't they get money from gate receipts? It's bizarre that it is suggested that they should only get a share of the revenue from GAAGo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

We have one of the largest most successful and well run amateur sports in the world and yet every so often someone throws out a suggestion like this that would probably f**k the whole thing up.

It's a pity Jacqi hadn't the wherewithal or expertise to challenge donal og on some of his suggestions. EG there are 15 intercounty games this weekend involving 30 counties. How could rte show all of them? It's all very well in hindsight to say the Cork tipp match should have been shown because it was a great match but last years Cork tipp match was pure shite. She could also have challenged him on his views on the Tailteann cup by pointing out the sheer joy on the streets of Mullingar when Westmeath won.

Sorry ya, I meant GAA Go

For what it's worth, I completely agree that players should be getting money from gate receipts. Again, taxable income, but still should be there.

I actually think if players REALLY wanted to go deeper into it; for any players playing at a County level, contracts need to start becoming a thing. A girl I know that played County at a very high level had a falling out with her County board (about how another player was treated). She doesn't want to be involved with the County team anymore and yet they still use her imagery on their website etc. which causes frustration.

There's probably a gap in the market for an agent to that extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I think we're getting caught up in GAAGO too much. It's a problem especially for elderly people and people in the rural extremes.

But in terms of where Hurling is and where it needs to go - it's not high up on the agenda.

But there's obviously an attitude, entrenched, at RTE and within the GAA itself, that is seeing hurling suffer. Dynasties and clicks are being created at both organizations - from rugby to Gaelic football agendas - and let's face it, hurling counties that are too powerful within the org - and hurling is being left to suffer.

A director of hurling and a team of support/offices, at Croke Park, and at RTE, from one of the counties that is trying to break through - Westmeath/Kildare/Roscommon is needed. Someone who understands what these counties require.

Tipp Celtic Challenge team beat Laois 12-20 to 0-9 at the weekend - where is this game going?

I see the Dublin hurlers are now following the footballers into making Croke Park a home. It's ridiculous. Shouldn't be allowed to happen. Another unfair advantage of home games for a moneyed county. They'll be the next county to get double home games to start their year off. Down the line, it will be Cork, Dublin, Kilkenny, and Limerick getting all home games for their provincial campaigns, if this is allowed to continue.

Perhaps, a better idea, rather than trying to bring counties up to a level - we should break up the traditional and stronger counties into teams of four - more teams - not as strong a pick - and if you think Cork and Tipp is a good derby match - if you saw North Kilkenny v South Kilkenny, South Tipp v North Tipp or North Cork v South Cork, Rural Limerick v Urban Limerick - then you'd know what a derby is - Westmeath versus a North or South Kilkenny might be more of a game (certainly more of an attainable standard after a few years for the likes of Westmeath).

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

At least the hurlers are no longer the most embarrassing thing to come out of Waterford.

A go away amateur my hole there are club managers on 30-40k a year county managers on close to 100k.

Why do I always get an image of a hillbilly when a poster starts with "" blah blah blah my hole "

I don't know I can't help you with the weird images you get in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,643 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Rosita

Plenty of County Junior finals elicited sheer joy afterwards but was never considered an argument for televising them on RTÉ.

Strange post to say that Mullane isn't the brightest on the basis of that comment. Paying of participants in any sport has never been an intellectual argument. It has generally only ever required the sense that there is excess money floating around and people with sufficient leverage to demand it.

When Waterford footballers have enough influence in the market then maybe they will get paid. But I doubt they'd be the starting point.

You're showing your true attitude to the weaker counties now, what elitist rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The Kildare intermediate camogie team have expressed their disgust at their county board’s decision to withdraw them from the All-Ireland championship.

In an open letter to the county’s clubs released by the Gaelic Players Association, they have appealed to the units to convince the executive to reverse their decision, which the players were informed of last Friday via a WhatsApp message.

“This has caused great distress to us as a playing group and indeed anger,” the letter reads. “This is not only because this decision has been taken without our consent, but also because of the disrespect that has been shown in how the decision has been communicated to us.

“We want to be very clear. We want to represent Kildare to the best of our ability in the camogie championship. This is and has always been the case.” 

The players explained that they had been in discussions with the county board about a charter to ensure situations such as not having access to showers and changing rooms after training would be a thing of the past.

“It had reached a stage where we informed the County Board Executive we would withdraw from the panel as a result of this mistreatment in hope that they would rectify these issues. At a recent meeting with them, we believed progress was made and that our season might be salvaged.” 

Calling on clubs to back them, they wrote: “If we don't make those changes now, the players who come after us will never forgive us.

“We are calling on you the clubs of Kildare to have your voices heard and support us the players during this time. The future of inter-county camogie in Kildare is at stake.

“We are not asking for the world. We're asking for the minimum standards that had been agreed to be put in place, through our squad charter, to be adhered to by our county board.”

I never mentioned any counties. Just pointed out that excitement in the streets is not normally a deciding factor in the argument for televising a game. Yours was a silly argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would hurling benefit by leaving the gaa and going solo?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Wouldn't one of the big problems of paying the players is that player transfers would have to be allowed? I can't see hurling improving by giving the richest teams access to the best players

Yes but the reason they are sorted out in this fashion is precisely because they are not being paid for the work they do. Intercounty GAA players are the ones bringing in all this money but they are not getting a share of it due to the amateur ethos(don't laugh) of the GAA all the while managers and backroom teams are being paid all over the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I dunno is this moderated, but arguments about GAAGo and pay for play are for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,643 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What do you mean? The GAA don't own the stadiums apart from maybe Croker but it hasn't stopped the womens hurlers or footballers from playing there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This is interesting. Who owns the average so-called County ground then if the GAA doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

You said hurling so I took it you meant all hurling not just the county teams..

And what is the distinction between the County Boards and the GAA?

County Boards are separate entities - Whilst they get funding from the GAA, if a County Board turned around tomorrow and said they are pulling a team out of a championship, then that team is out of the championship. Nothing to do with GAA

If a county board wants to build a centre of excellence (ie the very shítty setup in Caherlohan, Clare), that’s the county that paid for it via loans, fund raising etc

Fair enough. I always assumed that County boards were a subset if the GAA as they always seemed to report to them, attend congress etc. I didn't realise they were independent of the GAA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

This lad was laughed out of the room in 2021 spouting the same rubbish.

Now back again in 2023 looking for new bites.

I warned him that could would get a ‘natural hiding ‘ off limerick in the final. Must be plucky now cork have 3 points and back again 😅

Advertisement