Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's what I fear. Ryan been very aggressive clearing out rucks. I hope he is controlled with his aggression.

Leinster didn't really get to play like normal. La Rochelle were good with the linespeed and frequently stopped us going wide. Factor in the errors and it was a tough day. You're right about the scrum, we got away with a couple

Will we respond? Is there a chance that we go to the corner rather than go for the points. I'm hoping that the rucks don't become bedlam and are reffed properly.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster played into LARs hands by not going for tries more often. It's obvious but had there been 9 points between the teams going into the last 15 instead of 4 then they couldn't have played so tightly and used their power game at ease. I bet Leinster were think of 2018 by going for those penalties, and I'm sure this time around they will be going for the throat at every opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

On the subject of referees, I still reckon Peyper and Barnes are more prone to a silly call. The 2 best refs out there at the moment are the Georgian and the Italian guy who was reffing the Munster match at the weekend. Would have loved to see either of those get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I wouldn't put anyone out there as bad as Peyper. He's laughably inconsistent and has the air of someone making it up as he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭typhoony

Reading between the lines on the comments coming from the coaches I would say nearly all frontline players will be rested against munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not sure what lines you’re reading between but Goodman’s comments certainly don’t suggest that.

"If there's guys with niggles, we're backing our depth, there are guys who are fully fit to go out there and do a good job. There's been an amazing contribution from the whole squad right throughout both competitions, we've got guys who are really hungry to get out there and perform."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Frank Murphy to referee Leinster v Munster at the weekend. Wonderful....

• Advertisement

i dont see anything in there to suggest that "nearly all frontline players will be rested against munster"

the fact that he says there will be more rotation i would expect more front liners to be brought in in place of the reserves from last week.

for example i expect the following to be named: Ringrose, JGP, Henshaw if fit, JOB, Conan, Porter, Kelleher if fit, Joe Mccarty, VDF

all who didnt start last saturday and would expect to be in the 23 for the following week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭KH25

Him and Adamson being put in charge of semi-finals is ridiculous.

That quote was from that article. RTE journalists trying to get clicks. What the headline suggests and the actual comments don’t bare any relationship to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Absolutely crazy that he gets to referee a semi final. Not ton even talk about Adamson getting the other. Both up there as worst referees along with Karl Dickson.

I don't typically go in for criticising or questioning referees too much, but I cannot understand why they even put him in this position.

He's from Munster and played for Munster. By any traditional measure of the appearance of bias, he shouldn't be refereeing them.

hes goes out of his way to show hes not biased though, so its all good.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Andy Brace was employed by Munster for years before making the move to full time refereeing as well.

And both are members of the Munster Association of Referees.

It's just not being fair to them really.

Well Murphy as the ref is just stupid. He's not very good. I don't think he's biased.

Henshaw has to be a worry at the moment. No form to speak of. What a mess of a season for him.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Adamson is going to get the final isn't he?

You’d assume it wouldn’t be an Irish or SA ref, if Stormers get through. So Adamson or Evans, maybe Whitehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I know Frank Murphy isn't popular in this neck of the woods. Ironically, Munster fans hate him too because they say he tries too hard to show he's not biased by giving loads of calls against them. The reality is that he was an average, inconsistent ref who has massively improved his consistency over the past couple of years to become a fairly competent ref. He'll likely be fine, and I really don't think he's biased one way or another.

Given the available choice I think the Italian ref , Piardi is a better ref than any of those you mention above..

Yeah that’s true or maybe a non league referee might be good.

If they can go outside the URC list then I'd love Amushakeli to do it , I think he's a really really good ref.

Think he should have been doing one of the European Cup finals to be honest.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's been selected for the world cup, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭conquestscarer

Rewatching the Leinster La Rochelle game from last year there was only 3(!!!!!) Instances of our ball being slowed down by La Rochelle in rucks. We actually were very very effective at ruck time and slowed down their ball more effectively than they slowed ours down. Of the three times they slowed down our ball in their own 22, 2 led to penalties, which ended up as 6 points for us. Where they really got us was in defence where we didn't compete with their linespeed with smart pick and goes around the corner or the occasional one out pass to keep their defence honest. Think the whole offence has been designed to counteract the linespeed this year, we developed the 5m tap-and-go moves to assist ourselves on their line as well, I hope it works out.

Where they really won the game was in the kicking game and in the scrum. We really really struggled at scrum time last year, we were obliterated by Toulouse the round before but still managed the shocking scrum well against Toulouse. Against La Rochelle they attacked on every single attacking scrum and won penalties on most( Barnes should have given us a penalty on one of their advantages for Antonio collapsing). It seems our scrum has improved a lot this year compared to last year, but I hope Porter and Furlong are ready for a long 70-minute shift, because that is what we will need from them. We also had no answer at Maul time at it led to a way too easy finish from them 5 yards out.

Our kicking game was shocking that day as well, I'm not sure if it was the weather that fatigued us or the type of kicks we were doing but our kick chase was AIL level stuff at times. This was especially important to the game because La Rochelle's biggest weakness is attacking from their own half. They are a one out running team and just play territory. They'll take the 3 points against them all day because they're superb at getting territory back after a kick-off. Think this meant our game plan of going for 3 was horrific tactically as we found it impossible to regain territory.

Sexton was brilliant off the Tee but shocking with ball in hand. He continuously forced the game by not letting our moves flow and the second we got advantage he would chip a ball in behind the winger in an incredibly speculative kick. He also fucked around on our own line which cost us a crucial try when Keenan was turned over by a hospital pass.

From My recollection of the game I thought Keenan had a nightmare, he was actually alright in the game, Rhule's opener came from Kelleher playing while not being fit and he missed a difficult covering tackle. The back 3 as a unit didn't function and Jimmy O'Brien had a particularly poor game when comparing to his usual standards. Made little impact off the boot or with ball in hand. Think he has a real opportunity to make a few breaks in this fixture with the new loop plays that he is running, those will be particularly effective.

Our D was superb for most of the game. Their winning try was a Fluke if I'm being honest, the player slipped which caused Ringrose to miss a tackle which would have sent your man to A and E afterwards and then he managed to slip through. Before that we had kept them on our line for 10 minutes with very solid defence (Big Mike had a clear turnover that Barnes didn't give). We really slipped up when it came to scrum, it basically meant that La Rochelle had a free play after every scrum, which is what truly screwed us that game, we would have had 3 clear turnovers but we kept giving away silly penalties.

The biggest moment for me personally was in the 64th minute, we were 1 point ahead of them with a penalty in the 22. Ross Byrne decided to go for posts instead of booting it into the corner, this made the scoreboard 21-17. If we went for the kill here and booted it into the corner I have no doubts we win that game. The reasons is that La Rochelle find it very difficult to gain territory when in their own half, when they get territory they're very good, without it, they're meh. I hope thats the main message to the team before the final.

• Advertisement

I don't think Keenan was fit for the game, however he played he was below his best.

Agree on the kicking game. Exeter basically did not kick the ball against them in the SF, when they did kick (which was exceedingly rare) they kicked short, and they suffered badly for it. If Leinster kick the ball away from anywhere inside our own half I'll be fine with that tbh. We kicked a lot against Toulouse there but you don't really notice when it's a hammering like it was.

Advertisement