Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on my situation

Options
  • 09-05-2023 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Ok guys so a bit of background on me. I was born and grew up in the US to non irish parents. I immigrated to Ireland in 2008 and got my citizenship in 2015. From the time I got my citzenship, I starting saving all the money that I was paying to the government and putting it in a savings account. This lasted for about a year before I got into a serious relationship and she promptly drained my bank account and then left me. I am a single man and have just not felt up to trying a relationship since my last one ended in 2018. Since 2018, I have saved over 16000 which as you know is nothing compaired to what most people put down on a mortgage. What I really want is to buy a plot of land in the country and put a mobile home on it. It is just me and I don't need a big huge house. The problem is though..it is just me, just my income and I just turned 40 years old. I know most banks won't finance a mortgage to a time after the person turns 70 so basically right now if I got a mortgage, the most the would give me is around 160,000...if I put all my savings down and financed for the longest amount of time they would allow, that puts my mortgage payments in the 550e a month range. Certainly not enough to buy a livable house anyway. I keep thinking buying this plot of land in the country and putting a moble home on it might be my best bet unless I want to be a 70 year old man still renting an apartment. The problem is, I am being told that I can't get planning permission on any plot of land I look at in my county. I keep being told that I don't have a family connection to the land so I can't build. A friend of mine built their home several years ago and she told me that her and her husband had to "pay a fee" to each individual county commissioner in order to get planning permission. I just want to buy a plot of land and park a Mobil home on it but that seems even harder to get permission for than it is to build a house.

I could keep saving, adding more to my nest egg but ever year that passes now, the bank is going to take one year off the amount of time I can finance a mortgage. So while I am continuing to save and increase the amount I can put down, My payments continue to be the same as the bank is always subtracking a year off my finance period the closer I get to 70. It honestly feels like a pipe dream now.

How can a person like me find a piece of property that I can put a mobile home on? I am finding it very difficult to get advice on the matter. The estate agents are not really interested in giving me advice, they just want to sell me the property so I honestly don't know what to do. I am looking at a plot of land right now just down the road from wheere I currently live. It is a field but has another house in the lot next door and yet they still don't seem to be willing to let me live there if i buy it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You won't get anywhere that you can put a mobile home on without planning permission, in any county. If it was possible we wouldn't have a housing crisis to the scale we do.

Tbh you've provided a whole lot of irrelevant information (nationality, relationship history etc) here but nothing relevant like how flexible you are on location, whether your work is location specific etc

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭iniscealtra

Your budget is 160,000. There would be properties in Leitrim / Roscommon at that price.

For planning you have to meet local needs, there is an application free nonrefundable. You pay for the land and then you have construction costs. You could apply to build a very small house if you meet local needs. How long do you live in that area/parish? (10 years if not from area originally) Are you involved in community organisations? Do you have a child in the local school?

How much is the site (only buy if you get planning) ? How much money would then be left for construction ? Can you do all that (planning application fee, price of site and construction) for €160,000 ? Can you complete within 5 years?

These are the questions you need to ask.

Are there properties available in the area for 160,000 ? An appartment maybe ? An old house ? Are you willing to move to secure home ownership? Is work available if you do move?

These are the questions you need to ask yourself first.

Have you looked into the Local Authority Home Loan?

https://localauthorityhomeloan.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Buy a derelict house in the countryside n move mobile around the back while u fixit up.

This is a nice appartment in Foxford. Depends where you live or are willing to live OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Its not as simple as buying a derelict house and renovating it. We did this a few years ago and the council refused planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭Deeec

Being honest OP its a terrible idea. As others have pointed out for €160,000 you can buy a good home if you are not choosy about where you want to live.

You will need planning permission for a mobile home which you are unlikely to get. Mobile homes are eyesores, horrible to live in all year round, depreciate in value and have a limited life expectancy. You would be getting poor value for money. You would have to chose somewhere very very remote as not many people would be happy living near a permanent mobile home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You'd still need planning for a mobile in that situation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

My dad bought a perfectly livable cottage in Co. Clare for 100k at the start of 2021. Houses in the area still go for around that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Yes, friend of mine, her daughter bought a house in Co. Galway for 100k on Bidx1.com, nothing wrong with the house just needs to be modernised. Your best bet is buy a house.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

I doubt the mobile homes set up camp in the many front gardens of the houses of rathkeale have planning permission.

• Advertisement

I did it 4 years ago, never bothered with planning for a mobile, tee'd into the septic tank. Mobile couldn't be seen from the road in fairness

It's a bad idea buying a plot n plonking a mobile on it.

I lived in one for a year+ while doing up cottage, had a newborn n all in it. It cost 2500 delivered, spent 1500 putting in a stove, laminate and flogged it for 1500. Other option was 1500 a month rent and the site getting robbed. I'd have no bother living in one again, but they are a sweatbox in the summer.

Then again a mate lives in an a rated house n said it's the same in summer !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Apply for an exemption to the central bank rules, look at what grants are available, think derlilic cottage that you can get grants to fix up. Get on the the housing list apply for affordable homes, apply for a mortgage from Kerry Co Co, you are in Kerry aren't you.

Plan B, convert a van into a camper and be a nomad for a few years while you save.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

OP i think your idea of a mobile home isn;t a runner. you'd never get planning permission.

Now what somebody could do (not saying you or anybody i know), is to buy a bit of land. plant some trees/hedge as a screen around part of it and put in a temporary log cabin type building. Maybe thats your workshop or 'Barn'. Stick up a few vegetables on the land and if anybody asks you have a large veg plot & store your tools in the shed. You would have to live off grid though -so no running water, power would have to be solar, gas for cooking etc.

planning laws are difficult here and housing is now a serious problem. you need to look at alternative solutions (even if it could be construed as bending the law somewhat).

on a cost basis, even if you had to take it down eventually, i reckon you'd be saving vs rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ohoopee

Hi, thanks for the replies. My personal info I shared because I keep being told that I don't have family to the land so I can't build. The sight I am looking at now, has had building permission granted on it before but a house was never built but I am being told no because I don't have family ties to the land. If that is the case then I won't be able to build on any land in this country. I don't mind moving to a different part of Kerry but my job is here so my only real requirement is being within driving distance of work. The plot I am looking at is actually very reasonably priced considering. The fact that I am getting older as well... No if I buy the land, I won't be able to afford to build a house on it right away, I could put like a log cabin or a mobile home or even a caravan. I have never done any of this before in Ireland and rules in states, at least the state I came from, are completely different. I cam from a rural area and the idea that the government could tell you that you couldn't put a house on property you own is shocking to say the least. The only problem with the plot I am looking at is there is another house relatively close by..no way I would be able to hide any buildings from them so it depends on what kind of people they are and how much trouble they want to cause me I suppose. Is there anybody who advises and helps with this kind of thing? A certain kind of solicitor or something because I am getting very frustrated with the whole process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well then go talk to your prospective new neighbours, explain your situation and what you propose to do. Assuming you're reasonably sound and they are not dickheads, unlikely to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

How long have you lived in the area where you are thinking of buying/building?

https://consult.kerrycoco.ie/en/consultation/draft-kerry-county-development-plan-2022-2028/chapter/chapter-5-rural-housing#5.7

Kerry CC ref KCDP 5-12 paragraph e references 7 years if you've been there that long take it up with your TD

In County Kerry?? Over 15 years. In the current village??? only since 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

I doubt that....not many people I know would be thrilled at the thought of a lad buying land beside them and putting a mobile home on it....regardless of what guarantees you might give them about building a proper house at some point down the line....if I was going to do it I wouldn't be asking...I'd be trying to hide it but OP says that not possible....I wouldn't do it btw just if I had no option I wouldn't be flagging the opposition in advance....most people would be thinking about how the eyesore caravan/mobile home next door would devalue their property etc

Sure there would be lots objecting to you building a house in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

my friend bought a mobile home with esb power, water ,shower ,cost about 25k swords area, he pays maybe 2k per year ,for power water etc,eg he owns the mobile home ,but its in a camping site near swords dublin ,go on daft.ie search house 100k to 130. look for 1 or 2 bed house needs modernisation ,needs some work,new kitchen units ,or cabinets ,

EG https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/galway-city?sort=priceAsc

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-clounbrane-moyvane-co-kerry/4716240

The property is in need of complete refurbishment, but offers endless potential to create a wonderful family home. There is a large garden to the rear.

you work out how much you can borrow, eg roughly 3 to 3.5 time,s your annual salary ,

you can buy a 2 or 3 bed house in a rural town or village, its hard to give advice unless you state i,d like to live in say kerry or clare or area x.

you do.nt have to be in a relationship eg you can buy house with a friend or relative ,if you can agree on where to live ,how much to spend ,eg 50/50 share , 60,40 , eg each person needs a solicitor to do the paperwork,

if you want to post her a email adress , eg user7 at gmail.com or pm me i could give you advice .you can also get basic advice from threshold see threshold.ie if you income is under x amount per year and you are an irish citizen you can go on the local authority housing list to be eligible to be given a council one bed apartment

https://threshold.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Parts of Kerry are very expensive to purchase, other areas not so much. I dont know if you can drive, however,if i were in your shoes, approaching 40ish i would be looking to buy a secure home for myself. Have a look at the Tralee area, you should be able to pick up a terraced house there for very reasonable sum. Tralee is central to much of Kerry.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/tralee-kerry/houses?salePrice_to=150000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well trying to do in sneakily will be sure to get the neighbours backs up - that's pretty much guaranteed. You shouldn't think the worst of people, many ordinary folk in rural areas are very decent and accommodating, particularly when they know what the story is. The personal touch is valued.

Mind you, if the prospective neighbours are blow ins themselves and keen on protecting their little patch of rural heaven, different story.

But the advice to buy a cheaper property and do it up if needed, is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

I wouldn't class it as thinking the worst of people tbh

If a lad approached me sounding me about putting a mobile home up on a plot next to me my response wouldn't be favourable...I honestly can't imagine many people would be too accommodating tbh....what do they stand to gain snd what could they lose

Maybe I'm wrong but the only way I see someone getting to do it is if you find a location that it's hard to see and/or force your way in like the veg gardener shed idea and hide from view a couple of posts back up...or its so remote and not a tourist/scenic area that no one gives much of a toss..that's why I personally wouldn't do it.....an apartment or house in need of some tlc in a village within the OPs budget might be a hell of a lot better idea..a lot of the time I see the mobile home or cabin go up its owned /family land they are struggling to get permission on or its beside a house being built (the latter used to be more common but I've only seen it twice in my local area in the last decade)

But I'll admit I could be wrong.

You can buy s house for 130 k but can you relocate to buy a house in Clare Kerry mayo Westmeath etc. How far can you commute ,the problem is most people want to close to family or within a hour of where they work

There's a option also if you know a friend with a large garden you could maybe finance an extension and agree to a fixed rent that you can afford

I built an extension in a friend's garden

About 10 years ago 300sq foot with ensuite bathroom planning permission from the council was granted to the owner of the house

But youd need to get legal advice before even considering this option

Threshold will give you advice on housing options. I think anyone under X income can apply to the local authority for housing but it can take 4 plus years to get offered a council flat as a single person

You can buy a mobile home on a mobile home park eg you own the home it can't be moved you pay a monthly fee for power water etc

I know someone who sold his house in 2019 he bought a high spec mobile home in Dublin

He got 240k which he invests in stocks and other low risk financial products he works 3 days a week

The local authority gives grants 20k approx to people who own derelict houses to bring them up to a livable state with new kitchens bathrooms etc

@Ohoopee You seem very fixed on this site. If you are in the area from 2018 you will not get planning in my opinion. Look at the development plan for Kerry. You can buy a house anywhere and extend. With 160,000 you should be able to afford a house in Kerry, to renovate. Look at finding one in your price range. That is your best option. My opinion is open your mind to that option.

@Ohoopee That is the reality for people in Ireland. You can not build without a local need in the countryside, that means being from the area, having gone to school there, being active in the local community or living there for a good ten years and having being active in the community with kids in school there possibly. Some areas are much more difficult than others such as Meath and Kildare as they are under urban pressure. So unless you have a farm of land it is almost impossible to get planning there for a one off house in the countryside. Building is not an option for a lot of people so they buy. Kerry is not the most expensive county. Look into buying something. Putting a Mobile up on a Green field site is not legal either is a log cabin. That’s the only advice you will get from a solicitor.

If you think you might get planning talk to the council.

theres plenty of houses in kerry in your price range ,look on daft.ie ,myhome.ie or google house for sale kerry,try and get one for 120-130k ,

2 bedroom.maybe look at older house .needs some renovation, but has kitchen, working esb connection ,back garden

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at the links. I really do want to buy out in the country side. I really don't want to live in an Estate or a town/village. I really value my privacy and peace and quiet. I live in an Estate at the moment and I have none of those things. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement