Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭techman1

She was very lucky to win it that year and she was really coasting on the wave ireland was on back then where everything irish was in vogue and on trend.

She would have little chance in today's competition against all dance, hair and nightclubesque stuff. She would be basically too boring and bland. Yes it was a beautiful song but more natural in church than today's eurovision extravaganza. Going back to eimer quinn would be another losing strategy we have tried all that before with dervish.

The only act that made the mark in the last 20 years were jedward, that's the direction we need to go

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think it is ALL about the song, it's the primary factor but... If you're looking at songs that are about the same level, then the neighbouring factor can make the difference of a few places or points, especially in semi finals.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We like to think of ourselves as kinda popular across Europe and 'the west' in general - sure aren't the Irish great etc

Year after year though we see that for most ordinary folk across Europe, we're really kinda inconsequential - an island out on the edge of Europe behind a bigger island. Leprechauns & Guinness with a bit of brawling thrown in. That's us.

It would count against us more if we made ourselves unpopular for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,499 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How do people work out that they deserved to go through if they didn't get the votes?

That's a real Marty Whelan mentality. "Oh the crowd loved them in rehearsals and the press loved them too". Same thing every year.

• Advertisement

The "neighbouring" factor is total rubbish and has been discredited numerous times. Lots of times neighbours don't vote well for each other at all.

The song and act, which is also important are not up to standard and have not been for years.

I challenge anyone if they remember the melody/chorus of last years song.

The fact we have not qualified since 2018 means we have to look at our selection process and blame ourselves instead of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Not sure this is fully true...Portugal won it in 2017 ..with a slow love song with the emphasis on vocals..

The Eurovision can be a bit stereotyped itself and can reward a good song outside the modern format..

We are better than Jedward ..who do their own act poorly and can hardly sing..

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Not that the age is the issue, but the Late Late is not reaching as many people in Ireland as it should. Most people I know will not have watched it.

Having lived in Netherlands which is not that far away I was shockedhow little people kniew about Ireland. Most people adamant we were part of the UK, just called us English and knew nothing of our history, culture or people let alone Guinness and leprechauns.

That will only get worse the further into Europe you go.

These Eurovision votes year after year show what the average citizen knows/ thinks of Ireland or doesn't think - bit irrelevant to them.

I'd be with the idea of a trad group with a song as gaeilge with very simple lyrics, with some scantily clad cailíns. We might as well play to our stereotype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Whoever wins the Eurovision, has to host it the following year.

RTE, our would be host, dont want to host it again.

The cynic in me would say, the RTE judges are looking forward to the expenses paid trip to Spain or Italy, rather than, the train down to Cork for the Finale should we win it.

Wild Youth were grand, but there are countries out there who genuinly want to win it, and Wild Youth did not do it.

If we sent primordial and gave them a good production we would do better than our current Set up

rte are constantly laughing at other entries that ultimately hammer us

Really? Lots of times neighbours do vote for each other. Enough to move someone between 8th and 12th in a semi final, given the small numbers involved... I would say it's plausible.

You're arguing against a strawman and not against the specific points I made, including other posts about the selection

So no, on the information in the below articles, there is no basis to say that the neighbouring factor is discredited. It is A factor, not necessarily THE factor.

https://www.economist.com/europe/2018/05/12/neighbourly-voting-in-the-eurovision-song-contest

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/our-twelve-points-go-to-how-much-do-countries-really-just-vote-for-their-neighbours-at-the-eurovision/41648127.html

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭unichick

I’m talking about getting out of the semi, not winning the damn thing. Are you telling me that Croatia & Serbia got through based on their song? It was the freak show staging that got them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Neighbours voting might have been more of a thing years ago when they sang in their own language. A good song will always do well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭unichick

Jedward qualified from the semi & came 8th in the competition overall

It was also one of the reasons the Eurovision switched from all public voting back to juries being involved. But for the Semis they've now gone back to all public voting after some jury shenanigans!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We're rubbish every year. Most other countries embrace the campness and craziness of Eurovision - Ireland is incapable of doing this. We just lack the ability to send a fun act. We're basically just not fun.

Well we tried that with Dustin but went too crazy!

And Jedward were definitely in the fun act space.

But it has been a while.

We need a song that works in a nightclub \ big stage setting not Whelans or the Late Late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Expunge

What about this?

The song that comes second at the Melodiefestivalen in Sweden would become the Irish representative at the Eurovision.

RTE wouldn't have to trouble themselves with going through a task that's clearly beyond them. Bung a few quid to SVT for their trouble - subcontracting the task, if you will.

The RTE lads still get their week long jolly somewhere nice in Europe and we'll probably make the final and possibly a top 5 finish.

Apart from a bit of bellyaching from the IMRO mafia, job done!

• Advertisement

I think they'd like to get the song into the final though, and do ok in the final, as more people will watch the final here if Ireland are in it.

But yeah, they may not want to win it outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ryan Tubridy and the Late Late Show should have nothing to do with Eurovision. This is the presenter and programme that regularly has depressing cancer/rare disease guests on. They don't know what fun is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

Let’s be honest here. It’s a bit like what Roy Keane said atone stage, fail to prepare, prepare to fail. I saw a clip of Sweden’s Meodyfestvslen on the iplayer which looked amazing and a few snippets of the stuff I heard was well produced and well executed. Compare this with the Late Late. We had six acts where I think half of them were out of tune and the entire thing looked like it was the first rehearsal the previous Monday morning.

it’s out attitude. I don’t know how Sweden selects its entry whether by public vote or jury or a combo but putting Wild Youth with s strong following up against some newbies was only going to end with one result. Fair enough maybe and they’re a band used to touring and with four months to prepare we should have knocked it out of the park last night.

instead we got a lacklustre performance of an unmemorable song with equally bland visuals. The sparkly fire things would have been big time back in the 90s but you’ve a stage equipped with screens around, above and below that you can use to make a visual stating and we ignored it all. Again, look at Sweden. I don’t really rate their song this year but those visuals were great and the song is good enough, just not fantastic. In the end, they put in the effort though and are now through to the final. We didn’t and are heading home. The seeds of this outcome were sown last December or whoever out national final was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Louis Walsh has had a connection with the majority of Eurovision acts we have put out over the last 20 years.

Louis Walsh's acts have never done well outside of English speaking areas.

Louis Walsh's acts are renowned for cover versions, not original music.

They got rid of Louis Walsh off the x-factor because his acts always did terribly, nobody wanted him as a mentor.

Despite all of this, RTE still view him as some sort of modern music guru for sending an original song to Europe.

What was his involvement with our last three acts?

He was involved with Jedward who did better than anyone else in the last 20 years.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be involved, but it seems a dubious case.

He's a 70yr old who thinks he's 25, should have the good grace to depart many a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I agree. It’s the dumbest defence of poor quality . The cry of “it’s the block voting” nonsense. I always follow up this crying by asking one simple question. How was there no block voting the seven times we actually won. ?

Every song we sent over the last 25 years was awful to mediocre. The performances have all looked out of whack with the overall theme of Eurovision and Ireland has the look of heated desperation in our presence.

We need to sack every component of the Irish Eurovision that we currently apply. Do everything the opposite that we have done/do. Get fresh dynamics into it and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Nobody should pay any attention to guys like Marty or Shay byrne and others on RTE making out our song was good and the performance was great and did the country proud rubbish. They are peddling the partyline .

Each country only has so many points or votes so one country voting for its neighbour is not gong to get a bad song into top 10.

How did the likes of Portugal qualify (and also win it another year) when they only have one neighbour?

What about Israel? Surrounded by countries that can't vote but want to kill them. Not popular in Europe but have qualified and won and do so regularly.

Sweden often does well and consistently qualifies whilst Norway often struggles despite having the same neighbours.

Anyhow, you should go read your history of Serbia and Croatia and learn that they're not exactly friendly.

It's all to do with song and act. Nothing else.

• Advertisement

This was also said in the 90s when we won it 4 times and RTE did a great job of hosting it.

It's not a valid argument and at the end of the day money would be provided (by EBU) and it will go ahead.

Advertisement